Sign in to follow this  
kl4Uz

The Letterbox Feature

The Letterbox Feature

Based on The_Pipers idea in this thread

Disadvantages of letters that appear on the ground:

• Letters on the ground cause lag

• There might be too many letters on the floor --> letter spam

My idea is to have a letterbox or a post-office in every major town or city (this could be an NPC either).

How would the system work?

Basically just like Piper suggested: You get Paper, Pen and Ink at a General store and write a letter. Now you will have to choose whether you want to write this letter to a certain person or to everyone. You will have to pay a small fee for the first one (like 5-10gc) and a much higher one for the last one (like 50-100gc).

So how will people be able to read these letters?

The letterbox will be just like a little mailaccount with an inbox and an option to send. In your inbox (would be nice to have a little inventory-like window with scrolls or letters as the items) you would be able to access all the letters you got. The amount of letters you are able to store in your inbox should be very limited and letters would disappear 24 hours after being read for the first time.

What would that be good for?

For example to send a love letter to a beloved one :evilgrin: or to get in touch with a person that is not online at the moment. The mass-letters could be used to advertise your guild or goods or publicly announce a special event.

Possible ways to abuse this feature

I really can’t think of any. Of course there will be people that will write abusive letters, but that is already covered by the EL rules. Additionally the #ignore feature should cover letters too, so you won’t get any letters by people on your ignore list.

Maybe mods could get a command like #show_letters, so they could easily see all _public_ letters without having to go to a letterbox.

with regards,

kl4Uz

Interesting idea...how about adding a feature like: #inbox or something that will tell you if there are letters addressed to you, to save you having to go and look all the time?

Just a thought, but I like the idea in general! :evilgrin:

The Letterbox Feature

What's that old saying: all software projects expand to the point that they can read e-mail?

:evilgrin:

If it is another way of communication through the game, it shouldn't cost money. As you don't have to pay phone bills if you send PM-s.

I think at least the mass-mails should cost something, in order to reduce spam.