Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

the 'sticky' alt key

after a bit of code hacking, testing, and experimentation, i've given up. but i figured I'd post what I found in case it spurs the mind of someone more knowledgable in EL/SDL/window management(whatever) than I

first, in case you aren't aware of the problem (and after looking at it, I'm guessing that this may include all *nix players)

sometimes when you alt+tab between programs, the game will not realise that the 'alt' key has been released, and when you o to type about half of what you type will be seen as commands, and when you press enter it swaps window/fullscreen. which is highly iritating.

now, I've found that it will reliably happen when the EL window does have mouse over, but not window focus. mouse-over means that the cursor is over a visible part of the EL window, a covered part doesn't count

in my experimentation, it did not happen when EL did not have mouse over

attempting to send SDL a "alt key has been released" event didn't help any

the place i was looking at was in events.c, around line 70ish

this does appear to be a SDL bug, not an EL one. I'd even be quite happy with a hackish workaround for the SDL bug, if only it worked.

this problem exists in both EL 101 and 102 on WinXP

this may be a hard fix, but this one apparently annoys other people too, not just me. anyone who thinks they can fix it, please jump right in!

This happens to me that might be related to this bug:

when i alt+tab out of my el (running fullscreen) and then go back to it, the map opens (tab key) when i press any key ie. start typing text.

Regards

well, this has been broken long enough... is fixed in CVS as of now (give or take a half minute)

probably also fixes issues with keys repeating when you alt-tab while keys are held down

as of the next client release, this bug can be closed :D