Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreenGanjaKing

cops killing 19 month old kid

a gun man holding a 19 month old child was open fire on by the police killing the man and the baby....evidently the gun man wounded an officer and they deside it is ok to open fire......now personally i think that is EXTREMELY wrong on many levels....considering all that was done was a public appology....what are your thoughts?

There really is no good answer to this whole incident. What kind of father would use his own daughter as a shield and not get her to safety out of the frenzy?

Dangerous situations call for dangerous answers. What if that gunman eventually escaped under no fire, and started door-to-door killing civilians? Gunmen do get desperate knowing they have several Browning rifles and Berettas pointed at them. What happened is very tragic, but no loving father would have put his child in that position. None.

You've heard of 'rogue' cops. The kind that beat Rodney King down, the ones that kill young children in the line of 'duty', and even the kind that shoot unarmed Santas ( :D ), but not all of them are like this. This squad certainly wasn't 'rogue.' They were doing their job the best they could do. No one can criticize a task force in THIS kind of position.

I still think a sniper should have been called in for this situation, but I was not there to judge the extremities of it so I have no clue if it would be called for or not.

Two and a quarter cents :huh:

Don't be so hasty in passing a judgement, this was a complicated situation, there was no right or wrong way to act. It is a pitty the poor child died .

giannis makes a very valid point, the man may have been planning to kill the baby so they opened fire and hoped for the best. Just think of all the good cops do, that they dont pur on the news, it wasnt like they said OK OPEN FIRE AND KILL THE LITTLE BRAT TOO! :mellow:

I don't know, I just feel really sorry for the cop who fired the shot that killed the baby.... it is something that not many ppl can learn to live with.

i agree with daxon on this one. the most likely situation would be that the guy was gonna kill the kid once she had served her purpose, and if they shot, they would have killed the kid AND the criminal, so the officer probably just took the lesser of the two evils.

in short, either way, the child would have died, whether the criminal was cought or not. personally i think they should have brought in a sniper or something for the situation, but that would most likely take too long, and by the time the sniper was there and ready to fire, the guy would probably have run and/or killed.

im not really sure that any specific one fired the fatal shot on the child but just because they are cops doesnt mean that they gave up their rights as citezens of the u.s.a. GGK.

they had every right to protect not only themselves but an obligation to protect all of the people living in that area. tragic but there was sadly no other probable action.

I would never blame that on the police GGK. A man with that many screws loose should never have had a child in the first place. I would absolutely blame the death of the baby on the father 100%.

ps. whats been up buddy how u been =P

I honestly feel sorry for the poor child. But, if they hadn't returned fire, and that psyco guy kept shooting, what would become of the squad, or inocent by-stander for that matter? If they hadn't retured fire, more that just him and his daughter might have died. As said, the officer picked the lesser of 2 evils. And the mother is mostlikly to lose the law-suit. I didn't say it is easy for her to comprehend. I deeply feel sorry, but it seems there was no other way.

{EDIT} was the dad an alcoholic, or a drug user?

Edited by Gecko_Master

Yeah, I think they reported he was either drunk and/or under the influence of drugs at the time. Somewhere in that article.

a gun man holding a 19 month old child was open fire on by the police killing the man and the baby....evidently the gun man wounded an officer and they deside it is ok to open fire......now personally i think that is EXTREMELY wrong on many levels....considering all that was done was a public appology....what are your thoughts?

179143[/snapback]

I think you are right.

There must have been another solution. As well as the cops had the right to protect themselves and other peoples as well they had the duty to protect / not to harm the baby!

Or do you guys think it's life wasn't as valuable as that of others???

Asmodis

Guest Enyo

First of all, it's very depressing to read something like this on a game forum but this is the current events section so i guess sometimes people want to discuss the news of the day..

I wasn't going to respond at all simply because at the time of the original posting, there wasn't enough information to respond.

one month later.. the investigation is still going but now is headed by the FBI. it has also been established that the father had cocaine and another drug in his system, plus legal driving amounts of alcohol.

the investigation also established that the 19 month old child had trace amounts of cocain in her system for anywhere from 4 days to one day prior to the shootout. authorities are saying it was probably ingested by accident.

i don't think that the police intended on killing the little girl. however, i do feel that they made bad and hasty decisions and the la police are reknowned for that. they should have brought in a professional pychologist to handle the situation.. they could have used other tools rather than gunfire.. such as gas.. etc.. they could have waited it out a bit longer..

i won't call the father cowardice because he was under the influence of drugs, was depressed and who knows what was in his mind.. he was obviously disturbed and desperate.. his wife pleaded with the police to use other measures to win the child over because she said that her husband was mentally ill.

hopefully, as a result of this tragic incident and the pending fbi investigation, that la police department swat team will be better equipped to handle the next hostage situation. i think at the moment, they did the best to their ability (training) and yes they made mistakes and things could have been different but the fact is that they aren't. maybe next time, they will.

why discuss this in the first place? because we are all part of the global community and should be concerned and discussing things helps us to resolve issues and gives us a better understanding and peace in our mind.. it also helps us with the grieving process and yes we grieve even though it was a stranger.. we are effected by the human bond which we all share.. those of us that are parents are effected because we think of our own children.

for the mother of susie.. i feel sorry for her more than anyone else because she has lost her baby..she will grieve for all her life.