Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Banshen

an observation

this is not a post about any scammers or bag snatcher just an observation that i have made which im sure most of you also have made too. It seems that alot of the scammers are noobs. This leads me to think that people who play the game dont use their own character to scam but have characters made up to scam while they still use their own characters to play the game normally without havng their actualy characters name tarnished with the reputation of being a scammer.

look at the peoples name who are scammers...... they are usually strange long names who you see on once and never again.....is there any way of say of moderaters knowing if someones using two players(using ip identification) and if they have their other players caught scamming then can be banned or pked or limited to only one character per IP address or soemthing?????

or you limit a player to only have 3 players to an IP or soemthing like that and if yuou need more you need permission from moderators and a good raeson why etc? that way people cant make 20 characters up and use one for scamming then use another and another etc etc.

thats just a suggestion i dunno if its practical or if it might work.

Right now, the only way for mods to find out who is on the same IP, is to guess which two people might be the same, and check both IPs. (at least that is what I was told). I've suggested to learner that there should be an option on the online players page that shows people listed by who is on which IP address. This would make it MUCH easier to figure out which people are possibly scammers.

Often alternate characters are used for scamming (except bankkzz who just plain doesn't care). Scamming and bagjumping aren't illegal, so you wouldn't be able to get them on that. However, using 2 characters that help each other is illegal, and if one character is scamming and giving the stuff to another - they're busted.

I don't like the player limit idea.

another idea, in this war against scammer should be tracking the stuff... I know it's hard, but if there is (there was ?) a bag drop logfile and a bag pick logfile, mods should be able to find who got the scammed stuff at the end of the "scamming process"...

example :

Hammit scams 4efe from placid (yes, it's impossible, cause he's not stupid : he doesn't bagtrade).

(Hammit is not the main char of the scammer)

hammit disconnect

The_real_scammer connects and go to a special place (where there is nobody)

The_real_scammer disconnect

hammit connects

hammit goes to the "special place" and drop the 4 efes

hammit disconnect

The_real_scammer connects and get the efes

whith a logfile logging bag-stuffing the_real_scammer should be "quite" easy to find out.

this logfile should use ingame date and time (every user has the same date and time, this way)

They already keep a logfile with that, but scamming isn't illegal, so they never bother to look through it unless they suspect some serious cheating (such as belali).