Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
crannog

Ideas For Maps

Perhaps someone with a bit of artistic talent could do the following:

Create a nice title for each map - (i have an idea for this...but i find it hard to put into words - ill make one and post it later)

main ones have names - alot of the caves don't - how about some ideas for thier names ?

Perhaps totally re-do them - so they are acurate (with dragon view rather than drawings - and all are in same format - i think derin has done a few like this ?)

Re-do how important things are shown - perhaps a nice flag or other nice icon for each - the coloured circles are OK..just not that inspiring if you know what i mean

Show where 0,0 and the max coords are...so you know where in relation to those you are - or would be nice to be able to overlay a grid of the main coords ? (multiple of 10's ?)

errr thats it for now..ill post more ideas as/when i have them

Show where 0,0 and the max coords are...so you know where in relation to those you are - or would be nice to be able to overlay a grid of the main coords ? (multiple of 10's ?)

155217[/snapback]

maybe not a whole grid, just have markings on two sides like a ruler there without a grid overlay.

if you want to get fancy, you can even have a red and blue slider arrow on each of these scales to show the co-ords of the current and destination locations

doing it this way means you don't have to alter maps, it'll automatically be drawn for all maps

maybe not a whole grid, just have markings on two sides like a ruler there without a grid overlay.

if you want to get fancy, you can even have a red and blue slider arrow on each of these scales to show the co-ords of the current and destination locations

doing it this way means you don't have to alter maps, it'll automatically be drawn for all maps

155219[/snapback]

great idea !!! - IF it can be implemented

all the maps are shown the same size, as i recall, so adding a single scale image to the client to be shown on the bottom and left (or all around, or whatever else you prefer) wouldn't be hard

[edit]oops, just realised, numbers would be an issue here... would have to add them seperately or have multiple scale images

adding the arrows would be a bit more work, but not too hard

as the cross is moved (through whatever event draws that), the arrow(s) are also moved. it's extra work, but certainly doable. most of it is already done, for the cross anyway

Edited by ttlanhil

yeh, i am sure someone can work it out..figure out the actual max coords and use some formula to calculate the coords for a specific point on a given map

maybe not a whole grid, just have markings on two sides like a ruler there without a grid overlay.if you want to get fancy, you can even have a red and blue slider arrow on each of these scales to show the co-ords of the current and destination locations

155219[/snapback]

What I would really like is simply coords shown (like when clicking on compass) when you click somewhere on the map (holding shift or something). That would almostly solve your problem as well, and be much easier to implement :) It'd be also very convenient when helping someone: "Where is X"? -- "In Y, near Z" -- "Where is that? Can I have coords?" Dang, you have to walk there to get the coords, although you know the exact place on the map :D

With regards

Lachesis

yeah, that'd be neat too... maybe something down the bottom that changes as you move the mouse across the map, showing the co-ords... precision isn't great on maps like WS, but it should be good enough

adding the scale would help make the maps look more like, well, maps as well

yeah, that'd be neat too... maybe something down the bottom that changes as you move the mouse across the map, showing the co-ords... precision isn't great on maps like WS, but it should be good enough

adding the scale would help make the maps look more like, well, maps as well

155391[/snapback]

I implemented this, if you use the latest CVS client you can make use of this feature now. Enjoy! :D

With regards

Lachesis

wow, thanks, that's progress!

i'll have to boot into linux and load up EL soon to have a look... any chance someone could post a screenshot so all can see?

Edited by ttlanhil

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/Moi...orum/coords.jpg (12K)

Here you are. Not much to see :D

With regards

Lachesis

P.S: Please don't expect everything to be done that fast, this was just a few lines of code (and some small edits):

// draw coordinates
int map_x, map_y;
if (pf_get_mouse_position(mouse_x, mouse_y, &map_x, &map_y)) {
   // we're pointing on the map, display position
   char buf[10];
   sprintf(buf, "%d,%d", map_x, map_y);
   glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,0.0f);
   screen_x = 25 - 1.5*strlen(buf);
   screen_y = 150 + 1;
   draw_string_zoomed(screen_x, screen_y, buf, 1, 0.3);
}

Edited by Lachesis

nice :D

one thing though, perhaps you could have "current location" or "current co-ordinates" above it so it's a little more obvious what it is (yes people should get it as soon as they move the mouse, but... well...

yeah, a

curently at:

X,Y

Going to:

X,Y

would work... though if you have mouse co-ords, it's not that hard to get both

one thing though, perhaps you could have "current location" or "current co-ordinates" above it so it's a little more obvious what it is (yes people should get it as soon as they move the mouse, but... well...

155418[/snapback]

Done.

coord2.jpg

or one for current location, one for target location (when you click the map for autowalk

and nice work lachesis :D

155502[/snapback]

I think this is not necessary. I could do it, but maybe let's rather save the window space for other useful things. Do you agree?

With regards

Lachesis

Edited by Lachesis

no offence, but i think the purpose we suggested this..is when your given a location to move to, you just dont know where on the map those coordinates are....we can all click the compass to see our current location, its the destination ppl have the problem with

edit:oh i see its the cursor position :D

Edited by crannog

when told to go to certain co-ordinates, having the mouse say where it is is even more useful than the location of the destination cross. so this is probably enough to cover it, though it'd be good to have a note about this when there's some serious documentation with the client :D

no offence, but i think the purpose we suggested this..is when your given a location to move to, you just dont know where on the map those coordinates are....we can all click the compass to see our current location, its the destination ppl have the problem with

155509[/snapback]

Though I can't find it in the official game command list, IIRC there should be a #goto and a #set_mark command for that purpose. Let me see. Yes, you can use #goto <mark-name> or #goto <coords> to go to a certain location. It's not possible to set a mark on specific coordinates yet, though.

With regards

Lachesis

Edited by Lachesis

Yes, i have that in my client, but MANY players dont...only a small percentage do (unless its gonna be in an official release)

Yes, i have that in my client, but MANY players dont...only a small percentage do (unless its gonna be in an official release)

155522[/snapback]

Well, it's in the official client, it's just in CVS HEAD :D Unfortunately I have no idea when there will be the next release. I also added a command to set a mark on a given position now, so if you want to visit the coordinates you get later you can use that one instead of #goto. You can then use #goto label in order to get there whenever you wish.

With regards

Lachesis