Eternal Lands Official Forums
KillerQween

Just A Thought....

I appreciate it is difficult to "police" EL well enough to control scammers and such. BUT if someone jumps your bag that should be discouraged. If someone scams and admits to it, doesn't that deserve punishment of some kind? If someone is trade spamming while you are fighting so you die, doesn't that deserve a punishment? If it's obvious or there are enough witnesses I think EL could start punishing these people. I would gladly offer to help in anyway. I have always hated that part of EL, to me it ENCOURAGES these people not to have a rule against it. And don't give that "there are thieves in other Mporpg's so we should have them here", that's crap and you know it. In other games the thieves steal from npcs and are meant to.

Stuff like that makes the game look bad when it

happens to noobs and they quit. Trade spamming

when someone is fighting should be banable.

Well, scamming should be against the rules in my opinion, but that would be hard to enforce, and it would probably encourage scamming. I don't know why, but if it's against the rules, people like to do it. I think the social reprecussions are enough. Scammers usually get booted from guilds and don't get accepted into any others, nobody ever trades with them, and nobody really likes them. That's punishment enough.

I do believe that "trading spamming" during fighting should be bannable, as it is a game function being misused purposely.

Can someone please explain to me what trade spamming is? Maybe its just because I've never experienced it, but how does someone trying to trade with you cause you to not be able to fight?

Garrin

Can someone please explain to me what trade spamming is? Maybe its just because I've never experienced it, but how does someone trying to trade with you cause you to not be able to fight?

Garrin

i was about to post the same thing, because your inventory is above it so it doesn't stop you from drinking potions, it doesn't stop you from casting spells and if its because it blocks your health gauge well its no big deal cause you have one in your tray

You seem to be missing the point. This is supposed to be a roleplaying game, not a levelling up game. So, you can roleplay different characters.

You could roleplay a murderer, a thief, or a scammer. Now, if the last two were against the rules, the only "bad guy" to roleplay would be a murderer. And once the other two are against the rules, how long before people start suggesting that RP'ing a murderer should be against the rules too? I already saw "He is a PK'er" used a few times as the reason why someone should not be unbanned, so it is not as far off as some may think.

These people are easy to avoid. Murderers can be avoided by not going to a PK map. Thiefs can be avoided by never dropping something on the ground that you are not prepared to lose. And scammers can be avoided by using your brain. (Of course this is the reason that scamming against newbies is not allowed, they are presumed to not yet have a fulle developed brain. :rolleyes:)

If something should be done against these people, like in real life, it should be done as a part of the playing. Like starting a police force, with people who only PKs people on their wanted list.

Playing the bad guy should not be against the rules.

You seem to be missing the point. This is supposed to be a roleplaying game, not a levelling up game. So, you can roleplay different characters.

oh really.. so why do we have levels then? and top 50 list?

Levels are an inherent part of role-playing games. I can't think of any role-playing style game, be it computer or pen & paper that doesn't have some form of 'levelling up'. It's supposed to represent the increase in skills and expertise that your character gains as they practice different things.

I like the EL levelling system, because the xp is allocated to the skills that you practice. Therefore, if I want to role-play a healer character, I can try to increase my alchemy so I can make the healing essences, and my potions to make the BR's & SR's.

As regards the 'Top 50 List', it's only human to want to know how you are doing against everyone else, and what the current pinnacle of achievement is.

Mmorpg's are moslty leveling games and not rpg as they

were with paper, live and muds of the past... I have

run and wrote rpg games for 27 years and i have not seen a

mmorgp get even close to a real rpg....

Mmorpg's are moslty leveling games and not rpg as they

were with paper, live and muds of the past... I have

run and wrote rpg games for 27 years and i have not seen a

mmorgp get even close to a real rpg....

As with any game, it's the effort that you put into it that determines how much of a role-playing experience you get.

I have seen pen & paper games that had less role-playing than this, and ones that have had far more.

Mmorpg's have great potential because of the variety of people playing them. You do however need the quests, plots and storylines to make them come closer to a "real" rpg. The best games I have ever played are those where there are many different storylines running and it is upto the players to actually put the effort in and think about what is happening in the world they are playing in, and what effect their actions may have on that world.

From what I see on this forum, under the storylines and suggestions, people are working here towards trying to achieve that level of immersion, which can only be a good thing.

You could roleplay a murderer, a thief, or a scammer. Now, if the last two were against the rules, the only "bad guy" to roleplay would be a murderer. And once the other two are against the rules, how long before people start suggesting that RP'ing a murderer should be against the rules too? I already saw "He is a PK'er" used a few times as the reason why someone should not be unbanned, so it is not as far off as some may think.

These people are easy to avoid. Murderers can be avoided by not going to a PK map. Thiefs can be avoided by never dropping something on the ground that you are not prepared to lose. And scammers can be avoided by using your brain. (Of course this is the reason that scamming against newbies is not allowed, they are presumed to not yet have a fulle developed brain. :rolleyes:)

If something should be done against these people, like in real life, it should be done as a part of the playing. Like starting a police force, with people who only PKs people on their wanted list.

Playing the bad guy should not be against the rules.

Leeloo,

I think you pretty much summed it all up.

QUOTE (shasso @ Dec 21 2004, 10:58 AM)

Because if we didnt it wouldnt be a Game. It would be a big chat room.

One last thing....

What a great Idea!!! Instead of banning people for illegally scamming new players and such, why not Create a police force as you suggested? Or just make them PK'able by everyone until they have lost all of the items/gold they scammed (Or until they learn thier lesson?) I am not a PK'er but that does sound like a realistic idea.

Regards

Garrin

As much as I hate scammers, spammers, and bag jumpers, I do believe they have a valid role in the EL society.

As in real life there must be evil to know what good is. Without the evil players we would not recognize or appreciate the good players such as yourself.

Yes, EL is a role playing game. But I have seen over the last 6 months more reality in the personalities that come and go in this game than I have seen on the street. People are constantly testing the limits of what the EL society will accept and withstand. This is a true test of the society, and I can say from what I have seen that the EL society passes every test. That is why I continue to play this game. The good people still outnumber the bad.

As you said, all of the shortcommings of the evil people can still be avoided when caution is applied.

I say keep the scammers, spammers, and bag jumpers, but play cautiously.

there is little you can do to avoid scamming, but after playing for a while and ask around before you conduct buisness with them. also check these forums, the flames sections has a lot of reports of scammers that you can avoid. if you are in a guild ask them, if there are people you know pm them, also get the el times, they have a section on scammers in the game.

I actually like the idea of a police force. Or maybe even just a prison that the mods can send a player to for a period of time. The player would have no way out of the cell. The door to the cell could be on a timer such that it opens after an hour (or whatever) of the player acually being in there.

I actually like the idea of a police force. Or maybe even just a prison that the mods can send a player to for a period of time.

No. Keep the mods out of it. This is for players to do something about.

But if you have ideas for how a player-run police force could arrest people, please go ahead and post in suggestions.

There are also other roles to play that don't necessarily lean towards being an asshole: the wanderer, the knight, the magician, the paladin, the priest, etc. I don't support what scammers, spammers, thieves, murderers, whatever they do, but I say they should receive proper punishment when they abuse game features to further their work. From what I see, trade spamming during fighting is indeed a misuse of game functions.

What trade spamming and scamming are?

Scamming is using the stupidity of others to your own gain. Such as (Runescape): "I'll trim your sword!" (EL): "Wnat me to doop taht cape for u?"

Trade spamming is an unsolicited yellow message that should cause no trouble.

It's been a while, but there was a guild that acted as a "police action" from time to time. I wish I can remember the names of the players but I'm absolutely horrible at names.

Maybe the rangers? I remember Mono was part of that guild... it's been too long since they were with us.

Anyway, I remember them guarding tournaments and making sure everyone played nicely on occassion.

If a guild of high ranking players could team together... well, it would be a start

Edited by Kira