Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lyanna

To do: Support for Prattler and Wandering Bards

Just thought I'd write it down before I forget. It'll be far into the future, but I was thinking of maybe getting the writers to write shortened versions of their stories specifically for re-telling by bards in the game. Only the stories that have been approved and synchronised, of course. Short, snappy sentences, with maybe a few extra lines of introduction to set the scene - it calls for adapting writing styles to fit. Probably anything more than 15 posts of 2 lines each would be a bit too much.

It'll have to be really bare bones - so we'll have to cut out as much unnecessary description and dialogue as possible. This is primarily because players "hearing" a story told by a character in-game are often a lot more impatient than when they're reading it in the Forums or on the website. Those that are really interested in the full stories can read them here.

Just a thought. I'd like to hear whether you guys agree with this or not.

-Lyn-

Agreed. :D

The only thing I'm worried about is that we wont be able to get the stories that short, without losing too much of the tale itself. I think if an ingame bard tells the stories in abot 30 lines, it'll sound alot different as on the forums, the feeling you get by hearing either version of a story should mostly be the same, which I think is gonna be pretty hard to do...

True, Geelef, but I don't think we have much of a choice. I mean, I was listening to Prattler tell Kayliana's Dragon story when he first came on, and after about the 6th post, I was already feeling a little impatient. Maybe it was just the message speed, though. The longer stories, though, would probably have to be left out. I agree that they would lose too much. Maybe only the short stories and legends can go in.

Hmm... do you think maybe it would be better for the bards to simply read the stories here and then craft their own shortened versions? That way, each bard could tell the story in a style unique to themselves...

-Lyn-

Good idea, maybe we can create a backbone for each story we want ingame, and the bards can make up some stuff around it, that would make sure the core of the story is maintained, but the details will vary.

Could we pick a couple and do them in the near future? Not much point to writing such a bard if he is either too boring, or has no stories (Or, worse, the programmer, such as me, has wrote them.) :P

Trouble is, the world creation story takes precedence and therefore, all stories will have to be sychronised with that. I won't release a story until it doesn't contradict with Ent's one, so basically all our stories are in abeyance at the moment. However, Conner's "Desert Pines Canyon" is okay for a short practice story to tell. I'll also try to write up a Harvy and Grim story fairly soon, specifically for bards to tell.

-Lyn-