Eternal Lands Official Forums
Jayim_Duinara

Problem with Gossip's "Guildies" command

Hello,

I don't know who to tell about problems with Gossip, so I'm just going to post here.

I'm in the Ozú! Guild along with Macal, Josefox4, Riky, Sandra, Nachodsk, and _Jesus_.

All of us are online at the moment. When I ask Gossip about me or type the Guildies command, she says that I'm in the OZ! guild and only lists Macal and Josefox4. When I type #guild_info for OZ! it says that there is no such guild. When I type /Gossip members on OZ!, she says jayim_duinara josefox4 macal. When I type /Gossip members on Ozú!, she says _jesus_ nachodsk riky sandra. What is going on?

Thank you for any help,

The_Saxman (Jayim_Duinara)

Although only the author of Gossip can provide a definite answer, I believe the trouble is with the ú in Ozú!. (BTW, that ú is close to untypeable for most EL players, except by using special utilities). It seems Gossip used to accept the ú, but at a certain point switched to dropping it instead, hence the (non-existing) tag Oz! that appeared. So, some players are stored in Gossip's database with Ozú!, but those that she has seen after the change, have been recorded as members of Oz!.

The #guild_info command is based on the real server data, so #guild_info Oz! will give an error (no such guild), while #guild_info Ozú! will work.

Gossip will migrate all members of Ozú! to Oz! as she sees them (if she is not fixed first), and until then... yes, it will appear as if Ozú! is split in two.

Scafativ, or whoever maintain Gossip these days, might also tell if the plan is to keep the character filtering, or if it was just a mishap and fix it.

Ah, thank you. And yes, I am unable to type a "ú" on my keyboard. What I did was open the windows character map and copy all of the accented vowels to my EL notes. Now if I need to type something with an accent, I just copy it from my notes and paste it. I suppose the problem with gossip isn't a big deal. I'll just have to check "both" guild tags when I log on. =P

I assume the "ú" is, for some part, being used to deter people with keyboards incapable of easily producing it from investigating (#guild_info) or contacting (#ig) the guild, which is fine, but you may want to reconsider using it, due to this exact sort of thing... compatibility issues.

Just a suggestion :icon13:

Hmm, well apparently Gossip has been updated or something like that. No she says that I'm in the OZú! guild. Several other guildies who were said to be in the OZ! guild have been changed over also. I don't know that the "ú" is to make things difficult. We seem to have a myriad of friends and allies in our guild colors.