Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zaerth

The Mysterious Stranger

The following is a story I wrote up when I was bored the other day. If it's kind of long, sorry :) . It kind of ties into a storyline I've been working on, but not quite done with yet. Now, as a bit of warning, I'm still a relative newbie, and haven't played this game all that long, so if I'm totally inconsistent with the game, I apologize. Anyway, here's my story, hope you like it:

As the sun slowly sinks below the horizon, submitting to the reign of the moon and its legion of stars over the sky, you enter the local tavern in hopes of escaping the chill of the night while finding swift merriment over a few drinks. Seating yourself in the warmth of the fireplace, you take a few swigs of your much anticipated ale, listening to the sound of the lively music in the background amongst the endless stream of drunken laughter. You join in as a young fool describes his chance encounter with a gargoyle, but you pause when from the shadows you notice a mysterious figure leaned back in the corner of the room. You try to make out a face or any distinguishing features, but the darkness prevents you. Wafts of smoke emanate from the glow of his lengthy pipe, circling around his hooded head, which gazes off into the distance, as if in deep thought.

As a polite gesture, you walk over to the stranger and offer him a drink. He looks at you for a few seconds, but seems to ignore you and resumes his meditative state. You shrug your shoulders and begin to walk off, when suddenly, he speaks.

“Who are you, young one?†says the stranger, in a soft, yet firm voice.

Surprised, you turn and face the man.

“Me? I…I am but a humble adventurer, passing through this land seeking fortune.â€

He smiles and chuckles to himself quietly, then mutters something inaudible under his breath. “Come with me.â€

You warily follow the stranger up the stairs, through the hallway, and into one of the rooms. As you enter, you notice that the room is rather dim, lit only by a sole candle on the table and the light of the moon coming in through the window.

“Have a seat,†says the stranger, and you comply, sitting down on a nearby oaken chair. The last few minutes have been quite puzzling, and you’re just now able to gather your thoughts.

“Who are you?†you inquire.

“You ask a lot of questions. The answers will come in due time, but first you must ask yourself if you truly desire to know them.â€

The man reaches up for his hood and pulls it back, and for the first time, you are able to see his face. You see before you an aged old dwarf with long, silvery gray hair draped over his eyes and over his ears. Upon his rough, worn face you see a great faded scar, apparently from long ago, extending from his left ear down to the corner of his mouth where his lengthy beard begins. You try not to stare, but your gaze is transfixed by it.

“Aye,†says the dwarf, noticing you, “an old reminder from my youth.â€

“How did you —â€

“You’re probably wondering how I got it, right? And more so, why it’s still there?†he laughs.

“You…you’re a fleshed one.â€

“A smart one, aren’t you? You’re correct in your assumption. That there is from a battle from a long forgotten war, before you or any of those drunken fools down there were born. An orc blade came around and near slashed me head clean off.†He demonstrates, sliding his finger along the scar.

“But that’s all you need to know about that for now.â€

“Understood,†you nod. “Now, if you don’t mind me asking, who are you?â€

“Smart and eager. I knew I’d like you,†he says with a laugh, then shifts in his chair and takes a sip of his ale.

“Me? Well, to most people, I’m just an old traveling dwarf who’s had too much to drink. To others, I’m a worthless thief trying to make a living off the misfortune of others. Some call me — what was it…oh yes, a “dwarf seeking lost dreams.†I like that last one. However, if you want to know who I really am, then you’ll have to go deeper than that which the eyes first see.â€

“I see,†you say, still rather confused. “Then what shall I call you in the mean time?â€

“If you wish to know my name, then I’m afraid you don’t have the tongue to pronounce it. But if it pleases you, you can call me Xerxes.â€

Xerxes packs his pipe with fresh tobacco and lights it with the flame from the candle.

“So, Xerxes, why is it that you brought me here?†you ask quizzically.

Xerxes breathes in deeply and lets out a long sigh.

“Several reasons, my child, several reasons. But why you, you ask? Well, because you are the first person I have seen in a long time that I could sense wasn’t an arrogant idiot like so many others. I’m an old dwarf. I’ve lived to see countless suns go by overhead, and countless souls pass on. Now, I fear that the remaining suns are few, and I feel that I’m about the join the other souls.â€

“You noticed that I am a fleshed one. Yes, I am among the few who are the fortunate cursed. I was there that grave day when the Wizards succumbed to their desire for power, the day that drove me to the life that I live now. I saw thirty thousand die before my eyes, but a twist of fate spared me from that of others.â€

“That was over nearly one hundred years ago, and I was not the dwarf you see today, but still, the memory is still fresh. In my mind, I can still go back to the days of my youth, to the days when the trees were not as bare, when the rocks were not as drab and lifeless, and the sun still shone brightly…â€

Xerxes’ voice trails off, and he becomes lost in his thoughts for a few moments. You stay silent, trying to absorb all that he has told you thus far.

“I’m sorry. You’re probably wondering what this possibly has to do with you. As I said, I’m old, and, as much as I fear to accept it, I’m dying. I’ve tried to escape the fact for years, but the truth can no longer be ignored. But before I leave this land, there’s a few things that need to be done, and there’s where you come in.â€

“What is it that you need from me?†you say, fascinated by the dwarf’s tale.

“Well, on that same fateful day, I lost something very dear to me, something that I’ve spent my whole life searching for. Before the great Battle of the Ages, when I was still a young soldier in the Dwarrow Legions, I had a chance encounter with one of the generals. It was late at night, and I drinking from the cool of a river, when a man in fine armor came up to me on horseback. He asked me if I had any food for an old soldier, so I offered him a couple loaves of bread that were in my sack.â€

“In return for my kindness, he presented to me a shining white shield, made of the finest titanium and ivory, telling me that it would protect me in the coming battle, and aye, it did, and quite well. Magical, he said it was. But when the battle was near over, and that godforsaken orc sliced me up like he did, the shield was lost.â€

“I’ve searched high and low for that shield, over just about all of the lands known to man, but have found nothing. I fear that it is gone forever. However, my hope still remains, and this is where my story comes to you. I’m old and weak, but you are young and strong, with much life left in you. If you can continue my search and return to me my shield, you will receive unimaginable reward and countless blessings from a dying dwarf.â€

“But, where can I ever begin? You’ve searched your whole life, you said, and haven’t found it. How can I possibly…â€

“I can see into you, child. There is something about you that reminds me of a younger version of myself, and it is in you that I place my trust. Yes, this task is formidable, but I have faith in you. I’ve known you for a while, in a sense, though you have been unaware. I’ve watched you over the last few months, observing your behavior to see if you are to be trusted, and as far as I’m concerned, you are.â€

“Thank you, Xerxes, I think,†you say with a long sigh. “This all has been very overwhelming. It is indeed intimidating, and part of me tells me to decline such a quest, but nevertheless, you have my word that, by my life, I will find the shield.â€

He smiles and the both of you shake hands, and he offers a few last words of advice. He tells of one last land that he has not yet searched, as he has been too weak to journey there, far off in the mountains of the east. He says that it is here that he believes you should begin. You set out upon the road, and bidding farewell to Xerxes, you commence upon the long road to glory and righteousness.

Heheh, thanks. Yeah, I'm working on a continuation of it, but haven't had the time recently to sit down and write. But with Christmas vacation, I'll have a lot of free time to finish it.