Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kalach

Bot Idea

Since there are people begging for bot ideas, and I have a bot idea, but no time to add yet another time consuming interest, here it my idea:

The general point of the bot is to keep track of community assigned outlaws. Players can propose that another player or guild be tagged as an outlaw. That player starts out with all of his votes as non-outlaw. The guilds can then change their votes to yes, outlaw. Once a simple majority of guilds have agreed, the player is put on the outlaw list. Other players can ask the bot for the list of outlaws, to keep up to date.

All of this is done via PM. Here is the command set:

AddOutlaw <playername>

This adds the players name to the list of candidates to vote for. If the proposed outlaw is not online or the outlaw is already on the list, the process is aborted and the initiating player is pm'd with a failure. If hte proposed outlaw is online, the initiating player is sent a confirmation, the proposed outlaw is sent a notice, and each guild is sent a #IG notifying them of the addition.

Vote <playername> <"Yes"/"No">

If the initiating player does not belong to a guild, the process is aborted and the initiating player is PM'd with a failure. Otherwise the vote for the initiating player's guild is changed to either "Yes" or "No". A confirmation is PM'd to initiating player and a #IG is sent to the initiating players guild. If the number of "yes" votes now totals a simple majority of the guilds, the player is marked internally as an outlaw. If the number of "yes" votes decreases below a simple majority of the guilds, the player is unmarked as an outlaw.

OutlawList

A list of internally marked outlaws is returned to the initiating player.

CandidateList

A list of all candidates and marked outlaws is returned to the initiating player.

Well, that's the basic idea. If I had time, I would put it together myself, but maybe someone else would enjoy it.

Bringin' da law back to dis here village
don't ever say that again.

Generally a nice idea, except for this part:

and each guild is sent a #IG notifying them of the addition.
You can't have a bot just #ig'ing all guilds, that's unsolicited spam (and technically, the bot needs to be in a guild to be able to #ig).

- Imho, it's better to have a sign-up command, so players can sign up to get a PM when a new candidate has been added.

- Why should each guild have only one vote? Why not have individual players vote?

- Also, make it so that a 3 players need to do the AddOutlaw command with the same playername within two minutes (first abuse prevention: random/hasty/abusive addition of candidates).

- Suggestion: restrict the use of AddOutlaw and Vote (second abuse prevention: people creating characters just to vote). Check for skill levels on the player stats page or require the player to be in a guild if privacy is enabled. Bot admin must be able to add/remove players to the AddOutlaw/Vote whitelist by hand.

Just my thoughts.. :wub:

Generally a nice idea, except for this part:

and each guild is sent a #IG notifying them of the addition.
You can't have a bot just #ig'ing all guilds, that's unsolicited spam (and technically, the bot needs to be in a guild to be able to #ig).

- Imho, it's better to have a sign-up command, so players can sign up to get a PM when a new candidate has been added.

- Why should each guild have only one vote? Why not have individual players vote?

- Also, make it so that a 3 players need to do the AddOutlaw command with the same playername within two minutes (first abuse prevention: random/hasty/abusive addition of candidates).

- Suggestion: restrict the use of AddOutlaw and Vote (second abuse prevention: people creating characters just to vote). Check for skill levels on the player stats page or require the player to be in a guild if privacy is enabled. Bot admin must be able to add/remove players to the AddOutlaw/Vote whitelist by hand.

Just my thoughts.. :P

These are good thoughts, too. I was hoping to have some commentary to refine the idea. However, having individual players voted is problematic to me. #1, it is *very* expensive to calculate the the list of total voting players. (We would have to literally check in on each players information on the player stats page) #2, I wouldn't count on having a simple majority of players that are event community aware. (Read the outlaws forum, etc...) Guilds are a little easier to deal with.

I like the opt-in notification idea.

Yeah, so there would have to be a way to make sure everyone submits NOT-OUTLAW-VOTES...

Dunno, but I do know that some people like messing around with bots and data, so I'm sure we'd have plenty of "outlawed" players...

could be abused.. some ppl could just help eachother outlaw someone they just don't like.

I considered this. That's why its set at a majority of the guilds voting to put someone on the blacklist. I doubt it will be easy to get a majority of guilds (or for Mar©, players) to all agree to outlaw, just because they don't like someone.

Yeah, so there would have to be a way to make sure everyone submits NOT-OUTLAW-VOTES...

Not particulalrly. By default a player is not outlaw. Only at the point at which the player receives sufficient votes to reach a majority (of players or guilds, depending on which way you ended up going) do they get added to the outlaw list.

finally i got back to work on my bot code again. the product is a simple "whois" service. the bot name is (tadaaa): whois.

he is logged in to test server and sitting at campfire on IP for the last days. the main idea for whois was:

some guilds have trade embargos over other guilds. but if someone posts on market chan you must be quick to buy or sell. to find out if that player is in a guild you've a trade embargo on, just send a pm like "/whois foo" and whois will answer "Last time i've seen foo that player was a member of bar" or "Last time i've seen foo that player was guildless". now i just added the outlaw idea.

here is a sample of how to work with that bot:

[PM to whois: #help]

[PM from whois: Hello McLane, I'm a whois service bot.]

[PM from whois: Send me the name of the Player you want to know more about.]

[PM from whois: Other Commands are:]

[PM from whois: #stats -> show my stats]

[PM from whois: #loc -> let me send you where i am]

[PM from whois: #vote [outlaw/goodguy] [Name] -> vote that the Player [Name] is an outlaw or a good guy. e.g. /whois #vote goodguy foobar]

[PM to whois: #stats]

[PM from whois: Here my stats:]

[PM from whois: I know 39 Players and 10 Guilds]

[PM to whois: #loc]

[PM from whois: I am in Isla Prima [101,145]]

[PM to whois: foo]

[PM from whois: Last time i've seen foo that player was a member of bar]

[PM from whois: 2 people think that player is an outlaw]

[PM from whois: 14 people think that player is a good guy]

[PM to whois: #vote goodguy foo]

[PM from whois: Your vote is counted]

[PM from whois: 15 people think that player is a good guy]

[PM to whois: #vote goodguy foo]

[PM from whois: Your vote is updated]

[PM from whois: 15 people think that player is a good guy]

[PM to whois: #vote outlaw foo]

[PM from whois: Your vote is updated]

[PM from whois: 3 people think that player is an outlaw]

[PM from whois: 14 people think that player is a good guy]

if you vote more than one time for a player your vote is just "updated" meaning: voting the same will change nothing. if you voted goodguy earlier and now vote outlaw your vote is moved from goodguy to outlaw. works in both directions.

limitations to be able to vote: last time whois has seen you, you must have been in a guild. this should prevent character creation spam for voting.

the bot is still under construction, any ideas/suggestions/critics are welcome.