Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PEACEOFWAR

Animals... life like stuff..

I am thinking things like animals randomly attacking people would be more realistic. No worries about rabbits killing you, but be slow near bears lol ..

Also what about Adding things like "Quick Sand"

Trap doors, hidden passages.. Storms- ( You could get hit by lightening lol ) Differnt weather for each map, affter all You are travling 100's of miles on Those boats People. So on the colder maps, U need fur, warmer You need to have less on.. :-D stuff like that..

What about Harvesting Wood? should be a basic need for Swords ext. would be pretty worthless money wise.. but still needed.

ok this post was a bit confusing :?

but i like the animas attack thing, id love to see random bear attacks :D

the lightning thing was funny though

random bear attacks?! are you nuts?! those things can take on a ogre!

as for traps, maybe it would be funny the first time but the X time you have to get past it its a iritation. hmm, alltho there could be a skill of some sort for spoting and disableing traps, or maybe magic. that way one have a reason to travel groups as one person may be skilled in trap detection and removal while some other person is strong in combat :D

about weather, the original plant for fur items would be that you would need them in cold areas or suffer penaltys. time will tell when that shows up tho...

I don't think Quicksand would be very good here. Not only would it be hard to program but the only aplication it could have would be a instant death to step on it, with the current difficulty of walking in the game, it would make walking near it be almost impossible. No one would even go near it as it'll be instant death.

Now, say something that damages you if you walk across it, like (near)Lava or a Toxic Swamp, then that's different.

Also, as funny as an random animal attack would be, it's hardly "realistic." Human fears and, of course, the media has blown animal attacks so out of porpotion. At the very lease, you'll need a far more aggressive animal for that and just because an animal can be aggressive doesn't mean that it will.

Now, here's a exception: Snakes.

I think Snakes would actually attack you first but only if you step on them and then they will try to flee after words.

Bears are just fine as they are, since no bear will attack unless it feels threatened and/or cornered.

On the other hand, I think there should be random Attacks periodically during the game. Now, imagine a pack of starving wolfs will attack VOTD like once a week (now, that'll sure clear out the newbies away from storage) but once killed, they won't respawn afterwards for a week (actually, it'll be better if the timing was completely random).

But most importantly, I think there should be Goblin/Orc/Troll raids on major Cities! It'll be the same as above but will be much harder to fend off. Of course, this will be very rare and maybe they shouldn't be as strong.

hmm, interesting idea...

say a goblin raid on portland at a minium of ones a month but can be more often to a maximum of every week (basicly the goblin spawn rate spikes for a while and new spawn become active). the maths would go like this: it triggers, then waits 7 ingame days. then checks every day to see if it should trigger, if it does it will wait 7 days from there before it starts to check again. if it goes past 30 days without getting a trigger it will get a forced trigger (basicly the goblins have banded together for a raid) and the sycle starts over again. allso the time of day this happens should be random, it could be at any time of day basicly.

bring unpredictability to maps, in the way the gargoyles did (and still do i guess. noone realy knows when one will get out of the labyrinth and wander into an area of white stone).

maybe have skeletons roam a map at night but be removed at first light.

it would be interesting to have town guards that will make it relativly safe to stay in town at night but if you wander outside your on your own.

and dont start complaining about allways being there at night, the game have a 6 hour cycle so you have atleast 2 chances of seeing daylight pr real life day.

I like the suggesstion with random RAID-attack too, but it has one problem... the cities right now are pretty empty. Noone stays for long in Portland or WSC, you never see a lot of ppl in Lakeside Village also. The only places that are crowded right now: VOTD and DP storage, although DP-storage is not that full cause most of the ppl mine in CC and only come out if they need to deposit something or for potion-making, alching (essence alching, not bars), etc.

So the wolf pack will come, but only a handful of ppl will ever take part in defending this attacks. If you make something like this, I think advance warnings should be implemented, but they should not tell which place is going to be attacked, so ppl just gather at different cities and wait if the attack comes to them. A warning (blue or RED (yellow?) message) could sound like this: "Our scouts have spottet a pack of wolves in the woods of Tirnwood Vale, they appear to be moving north-west" - but the thing is the wolves can turn south-east to Lakeside Village again, or they may pass WSC and attack Corren in DP so you will never know until the actual attack appears.

And just think how cool it may be if one day the CC will get attacked by orcs? Imagine.. a lot of ppl there are miners who haven't trained their combat skills so much that they can take out a orc, so if CC gets attacked by orcs players will start sending help-requests, trying to flee... some will stand up and fight to help others escape. Players with rings will just teleport out, but those without may die of course :twisted: - but this is live and I think it will be interesting. I'm ready to lose my harvesters cloak and work hard to be able to buy it again, if something like this gets implemented - the game would become more challenging. And as for Orc-raids on CC in this case there should be no warnings, no messages that tell that orcs are coming, because if you warn the players they will just get out there in time and instead warriors will come in. Orcs may come through hidden tunnels, undetected.

Woaa... I'd really love to see raids and attacks on CC in-game.

the point is that with random attacks at the storage areas people would pop in, do what they need and then head for a safer area rather then stand around all day (do they ever log out?).

and goblins are a big a challange as there need to be, anything bigger then that and you dont have a challange, you have a slaughter. alltho it would be a nice time to introduce teamup code so that more then one person could try to take down a monster at ones.

duran, you misunderstood me a bit. I didn't suggest attacks on storage places, I just pointed out that monster/animal raids on cities or villages would be pointless right now because most ppl are found around storage places and not within cities/villages and I don't think this will be changed so soon.

What I suggested was implementing monster/animal raids on cities/villages combined with those warnings (perhaps the first warning appearing 5 minutes before the actual raid), but not telling the people where exactly the raid will take place.

And, as an addition to it, raids on CC and other mines, but this time WITHOUT any warnings.

Though you have a point there in saying that raiding monster stronger than goblins might cause a slaughter, but keep in mind how many high-lvl players we already have, and most of them have stats higher than 24 (goblin). Even I with my 21/21/21 can already take on a skele pretty easily by using the shield-spell and drinking a def-potion (+ 1 or 2 BodyRes potions in my pocket to recover health). So if you make ONLY goblins attack, such raids will be fun for newbies, but boring for everyone else - no challenge there.

Therefore I suggest mixed attacks, like in the 2nd part of Lord of the Rings (the movie, just want to help you imagine the situation) in Moria. The main force may be goblins, then for some higher players orcs, gargs and a Troll perhaps, or a ogre. eg: 15 goblins, 3 orcs and 1 Troll or Ogre. or perhaps: 20 goblins, 5 orcs, 2 trolls or ogres. This way a wider range of players will be challenged.

Oh yes, and you are absolutely right, ALL this stuff will only work the best if the current fighting system changes to allow Team-attacks on 1 monster and let even low-lvl players hit much stronger monsters (so like 5 ppl with stats of 25/25/25 can take out an ogre).

Ideas for future use :wink:

the reason for where people gather have to do with where the most usefull npcs are placed. therefor most people father around the storage npcs.

now you must remeber that most of those npcs are out in the open (desert pines nad valley of dwarfs atleast). therefor if agressive monsters where to at times pop up around that area people would not camp out around them hour after hour but rather stop by, do what they need and then get the hell over to a safer place.

and it could add a new social interaction as people could hire them selfs out as mercenarys and guards.

i didnt say that it should be limited to goblins but in maps where newbies and low level people travel they should be top of the scale. want to fight a cyclops then just travel east of desert pines, yikes!

basicly i want to see people reevaluating being under the open 24/7. nighttime used to be the most dangerus of times if you didnt travel in groups and so on. say wolfs, foxes and boars become agressive at night?

this could allso lead to a use of tents. want to leave your char out in the wilderness, hop into a tent and atleast the animals wont come for you at night (no matter of tent will protect against goblins and its like). or wait, scratch that. most people would jsut log out when darkness falls and log back in 3 hours later :)

hmm well all these ideas are great but wouldnt the random raids take a bit of programming? is it even possible? im not too sure. if it is i say we "persuade" the developers to atleast TRY to implement it. im sure that if they did fail, and an update didnt emerge, that players wouldnt be mad at all cuz at least they tried :)...these are just a noobs thoughts...

I don't think the programming is that hard... you need a randomizer for the trigger and a randomizer for the target... and a spawn point at the target not used for anything else... then you will just have to check for an eventual trigger say every day using the ingame time and BAM! were under attack... :twisted:

My idea was more like to make ppl aware of an upcoming attack (as I said 5 minutes before the attack takes place) so they can gather for a fight and wait if the monsters attack their location. If you and your friends gathered at WSC and the monsters attack VOTD, then other players will tell you where they've been attacked and those players at WSC will try to get there (teleport rings, ships, etc). I didn't say it should happen on Isla Prima, as for the other maps, newbies will have enough time to leave the dangerous areas as soon as they perceive the warning.

As for ppl camping at storages... they will still do it. We were talking here about 1 raid a week or 1 raid each 3-5 days. Those attacks would be to rare to scare ppl away, they will still gather at storages. The main idea was not to solve the problem of crowded storage places, but to bring more fun into the game.

A possible scenario as I see it could be:

1. A warning about an incoming horde of monsters appears on the screen.

2. Players start to gather in places they know the attack could take place (cities, villages). So some are at WSC, others at VOTD, Portland and so on.

3. Those who don't wanna fight can flee to Isla Prima, or just deposit their stuff and wait naked to see the action.

4. Now finally, after 5 minutes the horde arrives at... let's say WSC. The ppl who are at WSC start fighting and send messages to other players telling them that they are under attack, so all the other players from VOTD and Portland, etc. try to get to WSC to help out.

Besides you can make the monsters attack 2 locations, to prevent all players to come to 1 place... otherwise it would lagg like hell.

Thus adding high-lvl monsters to the horde should be still an option, because otherwise there will be no challenge for high-lvl players, only goblin slaughter...

No, sratch the warning idea. Come on! Do you really think that it'll be that much fun to have a five minute warning before each battle? I mean, sure if there like 20 Ogres marching on WSC, maybe and this would only be a major Event that would not happen regularly!

Take wolfs for example. They'll travel in a pack of 5-9 at a time and they attack pretty much quickly. The only warning you should get is the Message that a Pack of Wolfs ARE attacking, not that they will attack. Expecially in a city like VOTD, where there is little room for them to congregate without at lease a few people noticing. They could do it to the east but they would then need to cross the Log Bridge in which it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Of course, WSC is different. A whole lot of room to congregate yet still, there would be little reason for a warning because it'll be more fun to just let the rogue pack of hostile wolfs roam the map for a while rather then just have a bunch of players still around waiting for the wolfs come to them!

Now, take a look at Goblins this time. Here players can have a lot of fun because Goblin attacks could be worked into the story. First, have the Goblins attack in large numbers in known Goblin-infested maps such as VOTD, Portland, and KF (I don't think they should leave the KF map, just start swarming it for a few mins) like their Population suddenly spikes. Again, all that's needed is a quick Warning that the Goblins ARE attacking and players can then go the Known Goblin-infested maps to fight.

It's fairly reasonable after all since Goblins wouldn't likely give their victoms a 5 min heads-up of their intention to attack so why should the game? On the other hand, There should be some warning at least and who do you suppose would most likely know of a Goblin attack first? Why, the person who's always standing in front of their Cave, Enno! In Portland, their should be Guards at the gates to do that same.

Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing a recreation of the Raid on the Fort in KF! Try to actually work the Story told to you by the Defense God's Priest into the game itself, with Goblins and Skeletons in KF.

bad idea....how would YOU like to get killed by a bear with 5million in plats on u? I wouldnt...

Horrible idea on a whole...stop being dumb

BUT the fur idea is good

As a matter of fact thats the reason its going to exist :P In the p2p version i think there are gonna be 'cold' climates where u need to wear fur.

Great ideas all.

As for the raid on CC i would LOVE to see this happen.

If raids were introduced, it would give more reason for people to lv pot to 30 for capes.(i'd love to be sitting in CC watching everyone die)

as for the warning... i dont think thats nessessary but what you could have is distractions, not for wolves but for smarter monsters such as gobbs w/ higher lv monsters.

say this would happen:

#A pack of goblins are attacking Valley of the Dwarves!!!

(3 gobs appear and attack)

then about 2 mins later...

#A pack of goblins are attacking White Stone City!!!

(12 gobs appear and attack)

^this could happen for awile^

then after about 5 mins...

#a pack of goblins and some other creatures are attacking valley of the dwarves!!!

as you can see this could be changed around alot and made VERY interesting... the monsters killed could have much higher drops than reg ones. as for the other creatures.. it could be applyd to anyone of them.

goblins and rabbits attack VOTD!?!?!? lol...

nice topic 8)

@GloryFades: remember what Gump's mother used to say? "Stupid is who stupid does"... and you did just that. Stop being offensive and start being constructive for once.

@Kami: apparently you didn't get my idea... As a game designer you are challenged to find a balance between reality of events within the game and gameplay. Note that not everyone (I even guess that it's true for the most middle-lvl players ) will want to fight with their best gear on, or wearing different kinds of cloaks or having precious magic items in their inventory. If you don't give ppl at least the chance to decide whether or not to fight you will end up with a lot of players ranting about how they lost their stuff and how the game sux because that stuff was like worth 200plat and they worked hard for it. Similar things are already happening, though not so often and right now those players who lose stuff and rant are responsible for their actions themselves, if you enforce such events upon them, you might as well lose them as players and this should also be considered. This game is supposed to make fun and as not everyone want to go PK-ing, some ppl will try to avoid this raids. So let them decide.

Besides with this warning I've been talking about, you won't know where tha attack takes place, it can be anywhere. So you combine a proclaimed event with the element of surprise.

Also, you should consider another thing. If you make this raids without forewarnings, those ppl you will be actually making this events (raids) for will need another 2-5 minutes to get to one of this places, even longer if they have to change their gear first.

It's fairly reasonable after all since Goblins wouldn't likely give their victoms a 5 min heads-up of their intention to attack so why should the game?

- have you ever heard of scouts? Or guards who would normally stand on walls of the big cities and scout into the night? I wasn't talking about goblins warning ppl before they attack... it's people warning other people. Or c'mon.. it's a fantasy world, so use your imagination, there can be animals who stay in contact with the servants of gods for example (Slayton in Tirnwood, etc) and might send them this warnings. Or the owners of magic shops, perhaps they have magical crystal balls which they can use to scout the surroundings.

Crystal Caverns on the other hand could very well do without any forewarnings. Just let ppl know that such a thing might happen, and they should be prepared for such a case (having rings of teleportation or damage with them, some healing potions perhaps). And those who ignore the possibility of an attack will face the consequences. The monsters here will come through secret passages within the mountains, so you won't be able to see the attacks coming. The monsters will then stay there until they all get killed. So a possible scenario for a monster raid on CC could be:

1. Monsters appearing in CC, attacking miners.

2. Those who can will flee, others will fight and some will die, but those who get out will cry for help and groups of players will gather to drive away the monsters from the caverns to let miners work again.

A simple one, but can mean a lot of fun.

Again, this will only work really good if the fighting system will be changed as I already said in one of my above posts.

Maby there could even be time zones, like it could be day in isla prima while it's night in, let's say desert pines.

That would be cool, and I would always hang-out in the day time areas. :lol:

I f that was implimented about the day/night in different areas thing, the harvesting cap would be worthless, you harvest in a place at 3:00 your cap hits in, no problem you move to a place thats 6:00 and harvest there!

how would YOU like to get killed by a bear with 5million in plats on u? I wouldnt...

and that stops a lot of good ideas as people are so affraid of loseing stuff that they are afraid to go anywhere outside of the newbie friendly areas.

maybe we should introduce a banking system and checkbooks? so that you stuff your gold into a bank, and then anything you buy comes of that account?

I think this raid idea will be fun. You should give some kinda of warning like when your character get near the pack a warning comes up *A group of rouge monsters are in your area*. I also think you should offer some kind of reward like there is group of goblins and one cyclops. The cyclops has a load of plats or armor. The cyclops is like the general and the gobs are soldiers. The gobs protect the cyclops until they die then you could attack the cyclops if you kill him you reap the rewards. I don't know if this is a good idea, you guys tell me.

alrite well ponder this...if theres only one cyclops and for sure there will be like 10+ players defending, only one player will be able to reap the rewards that the victory brings. that wouldnt be fair to the other players who helped/dominated. we gotta think of sumthin that would be fair and wont leave out a lot of people

I think it would be fine as long as the creatures can't go inside. That way if people don't want to die they just wait indoors and no harm done. So people not wanting to lose their stuff isn't really an issue. Besides it's not like these raids will be common, so noobs won't really have to fear anything (until the ominous message appears: An army of uber bunnies is descendig upon isla prima! They will be here in 30 seconds. Those who do not wish to die take shelter; those with courage fight bravely and die with honor...i mean battle with honor! ) :twisted:

yes i agree there needs to be more then one monster with stuff maybe some of the others could have rewards just not as good or as much. Do you think that will solve it :?:

Kasgoroth, now you're the one who's underunderstanding me. Or maybe you do but such a thing is not reasonable. Why don't you just tell players exactly where and when each attack will occur?

Player's play games because of a certain level of uncertainty and surprises. In fact, This game Needs more of this. I mean, this is the reason the Garg has been Rampaging WSC for this long. It's because to make your blood run cold and your heart to beat irregularly at night, expecting at any moment that a huge, sulking Stone Statue will come alive and pound you into a pulp!

I'll tell you what will happen if players have that much forewarning! First, Storage is going to be swarmed with players (those who are interested in supplies) all trying to grab their gear. Next, the Any "Hotspots" on Maps in which Players suspect the raid will occur will also become so over crowded, that half of the Players will be lagging out left and right. Remember the old "Holiday Drops?" Oh, and heaven help any innocent bestander who just happens not to be interested in the raid but wanting to carry on their daily lifes yet would still have to deal with all of this. Afterwards, people are going to be gripping about how the all had to drop what they were doing, making a Mad Dash through overcrowded maps only to find they were waiting on the wrong map or worse yet, the crowd of people were so thick that they couldn't even join in on the fight! And this will be 10 times worse with more players joining!

Another aspect to this is that will kill the point of Raids to have advance warning. What fun is it if you could prepare for an attack just as if you were going hunting? This is why they call it a Raid: You know, as in a "Surprise Attack"!

Besides, you missed my point. Any "Scout" wouldn't have much more warning then you. The only chance they would even have would be to sound the inital warning would be Just before the Attack! Realistly, By the time a scout can see an approching Army and get back a place to sound the alarm, the Army is just behind them!

Now, Like I mentioned before, any warning will most likely be sounded by the first to notice the approching force. Take for example, Goblins have overrun the Gold mines and are now encroaching upon VOTD. Logically, Enno would be the first Person (First game-relient-scout) to know of the attack so logically, he would sound the alarm but at this time, the attack has already started and the goblins now are moving towards the city. Assuming that the attacking Goblins spawned at the Caves enterence, at that moment the alarm will sound. From the time it takes the goblins to move towards the city, people have plenty enough time to do what is expected of them in a sudden attack: either Run or try to fend them off. What fun is it if player had time to get out their potion capes?

The same will work for Portland (as soon as they put some guards at the town gates). Portland is a Maze anyway and anybody there is taking a chance of running into a Goblin anyway and is already likely to be ready for it so the there is no "Unfair Surprise" here either! When the Alarm sounds, people have plenty of time to either run or fight but anymore time then that and you eliminate the "Surprise" aspect of a Surprise Raid.

The only Chance that we will run into the problems you mentioned were if these raids occured in Isla Prima or WSC. Obviously, if they were to happen in Isla Prima at all (even with a 5 min warning), then this will be a bad idea! In WSC, Anybody walking through WSC is already aware enough to take a little extra protection, just in case! But the real problem is that WSC is so big that if you take the time to leave WSC map to go get your gear, the attack is already going to be over by the time you get back and locate it!

A side note: Any player wouldn't be carrying that much of anything unless they knew they would be self and any socalled "middle-lvl player" can defend against a Goblin with their eyes closed! Only low level players would have something to fear and even then, they shouldn't be putting themselves in all that much danger in the first place. The inital attack warning is all they need to run or duck into a building.[/b]