Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rabbitman

God Please save PK - Engineering Only

Raistlin suggested splitting Wizzy's Pk suggestions thread into multiple thread's focusing on one important issue each. This thread is for discussing engineering in pk only.

In summary of the comments from the previous thread:

Problem:

Engineering is op in pk.

Possible Solutions:

- Point defense of engineering (Mine diffusor) possible ~130 gc ea

- Minimum level needed to use mines without failure (critical failure causes more damage to user than opponent)

- Change damage formula to scale more with engineering level (offensive and defensive)

- Add cooldown on RC mines/detonators

Please post any relevant discussions and suggestions to improve engineering in pk in this thread.

Rabbitman

Edited by Rabbitman

I moved my post from the general thread to this better location :)

In the following I lay out a few examples/ideas how bombing could be tweaked to make it more

interesting to use or less OP. (all numbers used are for illustrative use only and not final)

1. New item: Mine diffusor - When carried in inv it will react like a PD and will reduce

damage from bomb by 0-100%, 1 use only. Price shouldnt be too expensive but still high

enough since mines arent that cheap either.

2. Create a min ENG level for mines being used. Why should a noob engineer should be able to

temper around with mines w/o having a chance to fail miserably? Example:

RC mine has a req. level of 44 to be made, why not applying that to bomb layers as well?

Lets say if a bomb layer has less than 44 ENG he should have a 50% chance to "crit" laying

down a mine. Result: he gets 50% (or 100%) damage from mine and opponent only 50% (or 0%)

3. Change the formula for mine damage, so more advanced engineers actually make a difference.

ATM a RC mine does 75+(ENG/5) damage -> a level 25 engineer does 80, a level 100 does 95 damage.

So only 15 damage more with 75 levels more, that isnt enough imo.

4. Take the ENG level of opponent into account when calculating damage he gets. It's a bit

like casting a harm spell, where the mag level of opponent is taken ionto account as well.

Why not do the same to the ENG level considering mine usage?

5. Add cooldown for use of detonators/mines

Sorry, wrote summary from memory. The original suggestion for that was 150 gc in post #89 by Elf_Ninja in Wizzy's original thread.

i personally like these ideas. giving someone who has an advanced level of engineering should be able to take less damage. as it stands now there is no counter measures other than what newhope posted in his thread. And even then its easy to die to anyone. even someone with no eng level at all.

I think the user should have a chance to crit fail taking more damage themselves which the chance would decrease the higher the eng level.

i also agree the damage dealt by a leveled engineer in general, is too low. iirc poison trops is +1 for 5 levels. Even killing mobs like the neno, it ould benefit engineers. Its not an easy skill to level, nor cheap.

When you step into an area that has mines you dont always see them depending on the eng level of the player who layed them, but it says "we have entered the range of mine 1" or something. Maybe if someone lays a rc mine we get the notice so we can react?

Edited by Caliphear

Little bit different approach:

Laying bombs/trops/etc would not be instant. The time needed for it, would depend on your engineering level AND your armor (taken from #arm) command.

(Really can't imagine doing very fine mechanic work in plate armor with iron gauntlets, sword in one hand and shield in another one :D)

So, the chance to fail planting an engineering item would be lowered by armor and engineering level where base would be the recommended level for item you're trying to use.

Now if your oponent scores a critical hit (and you take damage) while you're in process of planting a bomb, you'll fail automaticaly.

And as with mixing, there would be 1/3 chance of critical fail - you (and only you) would get 1%-100% damage.

Example formula: success_rate = (100 / (recommended_level * 2) * eng_level) - armor

Player with eng.30 and with worn armor with total bonus 20, trying to use large land mine (rec.level 42)

success_rate = (100 / (42 * 2) * 30) - 20 = 35.74 - 20 ~= 16% chance to succeed

Player with eng.80 and same armor as before:

success_rate = (100 / (42 * 2) * 80) - 20 = 95.23 - 20 ~= 75% chance to succeed

Edit: The final number would have to be adjusted to stay in 10%-99% range.

Edited by groomsh

I think if we remove the possibiity to detonate a rc mine while the one that put it there is standing on it, perhaps this would help loads

Lets just becareful with adding new items to drag into KF, I have this SS from like 3-4 years ago

pkst00fs.jpg

Missing:

Death essence

Halberd

Point Defence

Food

NMT

Mage Skirt

Extra CoTU

Fire arrows

Bronze swords

Orc Slayer

Thermal Serp

etc ...

I know I can't bring my whole damn storage to KF and don't want to either. Just saying becareful with all the "Just add this item to counter this item".

Sorry, wrote summary from memory. The original suggestion for that was 150 gc in post #89 by Elf_Ninja in Wizzy's original thread.

u dont understood, it should be 500gc-1k gc because it would defuse 1-3k worth item.

I meant that to say it wasn't my personal opinion on the topic. Reposted as part of a summary of the previous thread. Imo the price might be a bit low, but if it only has a random chance to absorb some of the damage as suggested, then it might not be worth 1k. Imo the cost should be proportional to the damage the mine causes. So imo a 3k mine should cost 3k to defend with 100% chance and 100% dmg reduction.

Or coat 500 gc to defend 50% dmg, or w/e.

Edited by Rabbitman