Eternal Lands Official Forums
caladina

Measuring sedi for a rl model

as i'm on mac and havent been able to access the map editor
would it be possible for someone who can to overlay the tile grid on the Sedi map so i can more accurately measure the buildings and other object foot prints for location and size

my next project is to build a scale model of the sedi map,

Burn's maps already have a coordinate grid imprinted on them, and the sedi map is 1024 pixels wide for a maximum coordinate of ~185.

That isn't precise enough? (open the .dds map file in an image editor like the GIMP, measure where the "100" line is, use that to calculate

the conversion factor, about 2.66 pixels per map unit :P )...

If you want a precise model, you'll also need to get the positioning of doors, windows, and so on. A map won't give you those,

and afaik, there is no easy way to visualise the game models outside the game (the file format used, .e3d,  is abandoned, so you'd have to

write your own converter).

would have helped if the insides of the buildings matched the outside shape lol, so weird stuff goin on there
probably the same builders that worked on the tardis!

A quandary, i can make an accurate model of sedi tavern both the inside and outside but they don't match as they are two different maps with two different layouts, outside being a generic rectangle and the insides being an L shaped bigger building.
my plan is to have the top of the building removable to reveal the insides, this could be done as a miss match which would be game accurate but i have the idea of making the outside tavern match up with the insides in layout.

story wise the tavern at one point was extended into the building next to it which fits in with its layout, so that would work, the door can be relocated to match the insides.

oh and as for the scale, just sedi alone would be huge to get enough detail into the buildings and map to make it worth while, and hile sedi is one of the small maps the bigger maps like WS, IDA etc are 4 times as big.

A good chunk of the insides don't actually match their outsides. On most every map. How bad they are depends on who did the map.

Some don't match shapes either... the house that PV storage stands behind being a good example.

external:

DX

XX

internal:

D

XX

X

With X indicating the shape, and D showing where the door is. If the external matched the internal, the house door would be directly next to the storage npc on its east side.

Zirak's castle is frikkin' huge compared to its outsides.

Glacmor skill academy's size makes no sense compared to its externals.

Trassian's ton of caves and buildings are a whole new level of not-making-sense.

DP CC's location/entrances don't make sense.

PL's manu school and upper level of titanium cave take up the same space.

It's just how things are... no way to fix it either.

(The Sedi tavern has some last minute changes to it as well. I found early deleted work of it that included what appeared to be something more akin to stripper poles on the odd stage with the throne. That stage makes no real sense being in a tavern in its current form.)

I can see the stage and throne working as it is in a high council / general command type of way
if the powers to be used the throne and stage area to address the towns folk for something like council meetings

the stripper poles explain the lighting though lol

and for sure it makes no difference to game play stuff doesn't match up, just a headache if some muppet like me decides to turn it into a real world object,

Burn, is there any part of the el code my side where i could change a line to show grids or tile layers?
long shot i know

I'm pretty sure that Sedi's tavern was mildly inspired by "Fangtasia" in the show True Blood where the owner has a throne he sat on and pole dancers around the bar. I vaguely recall that conversation at one point, but only Lotharion really knows :P

40 minutes ago, Acelon said:

pole dancers around the bar.

I KNEW it!

Hehe, I did a hacked version of the map editor that would show "deleted-but-not-overwritten" objects when my scripts that parsed elm files located a lot of these objects on some maps. Found what appeared to be stripper poles there, an entire large dining area in the KJ temple that simply didn't exist, other interesting tidbits showing early ideas for areas.

Ofc, most deleted stuff gets overwritten so it was limited in what it would show.

Edited by Burn

On 3/10/2023 at 10:01 AM, caladina said:

Burn, is there any part of the el code my side where i could change a line to show grids or tile layers?
long shot i know

No, only the map editor.

Burn,
i'd like to ask you a favour, could you tell be the number of tiles high the rat and snake eye tavern is at the north face Sedicolis  [51,43]
from trying to measure horizontal to vertical i'm thinking between  15 and 18 tiles high amusing the vertical tile height is the same as the horizontal tile length.

been a while since i done anything, main delema has been the scale, i want to do it big enough the detail will be fun to do, i've settled on 1cm square per game tile.
the other fun part was making the insides and outside of the taven fit to which i've done that now.

Edited by caladina