Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Esteria

What does toughness do precisely?

Asked that ingame already but nobody knew.

My toughness is currently 28 (more character info here) and while I was fighting a beaver (at a/d 80/78) without any armor or weapon equipped, it got a crit on me and dealt 8 damage. Since beavers are quite weak, do crits bypass toughness or something? How about ranged armor piercing?

Toughness is currently vaguely described as "Reduces damage taken", but what is the exact effect? Neither the unofficial wiki nor the encyclopedia or participants in ch 6 could explain.

Probably no explanations because the exact effects are secret...

About the beaver doing damage: there are two kinds of critical hits (as I understand it!):

- critical-to-hit: you won't get an evasion roll, you'll just get hit, with damage calculated normally

- critical-to-damage: you'll get full damage, whatever your toughness or armor.

Some have found out about this the hard way: die, crawl out of UW (with 5hp), attack a passing beaver, back to UW...

It's almost right, revi. 

With critical to damage, damage bypasses armor but not toughness ! 

That's why some people get hit 100s on blue dragon and other 80-90s even though they have approximatively the same armor and defense level but not the same attributs. 

To make things easy every 10 def level, you receive one less damage and every 2 toughness (actually every 4 physique or vitality iirc) you receive one less damage as well. So with 78 def and 28 toughness you should get a 7+14 = 21 damage reduction. However when it comes to rat, rabbits, beaver. If I am not mistaken radu introduced a super crit to hit that some creatures/monster ? inflict very rarely with the damage being as low as 6-10. Pvping will help you understand the system much better. Pick a constant armor (like titanium) and try things out.

Toughness doesn't help to reduce ranging damage though. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by dragon_killer
Extra info, typos

OK, thanks.

I was wondering about the crit to damage, but I knew that you can receive damage even from weak monsters (like on IP, and when you just manage to get outof UW...)

On 1/26/2023 at 1:51 PM, dragon_killer said:

To make things easy every 10 def level, you receive one less damage and every 2 toughness

Very nice, I did not know this. Do you do one more damage for every 1 att level, too?

On 1/26/2023 at 1:51 PM, dragon_killer said:

If I am not mistaken radu introduced a super crit

Huh. Interesting. Makes sense, though. Thanks for sharing your insight.

On 26/01/2023 at 12:51 PM, dragon_killer said:

It's almost right, revi. 

With critical to damage, damage bypasses armor but not toughness ! 

That's why some people get hit 100s on blue dragon and other 80-90s even though they have approximatively the same armor and defense level but not the same attributs. 

To make things easy every 10 def level, you receive one less damage and every 2 toughness (actually every 4 physique or vitality iirc) you receive one less damage as well. So with 78 def and 28 toughness you should get a 7+14 = 21 damage reduction. However when it comes to rat, rabbits, beaver. If I am not mistaken radu introduced a super crit to hit that some creatures/monster ? inflict very rarely with the damage being as low as 6-10. Pvping will help you understand the system much better. Pick a constant armor (like titanium) and try things out.

Toughness doesn't help to reduce ranging damage though. 

Hope this helps.

Fantastic explanation.  Thank you very much :)