Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest Tovin

Unable to connect to server

192.168.x.x is your computer's internal IP within your own home. Each computer you have running in your home is 192.168.x.x.  Your public IP is the IP all those computers in your home meet up at your router and connects to somewhere else, like EL or any website you want to browse, etc.  For example, the IP I see you connecting from when you post on these forums is not 192.168.x.x nor has it ever been.

Guest Tovin

The reason why you don't see 192.168.x.x is because I changed it on my router to start the IP address from something other than the public 192.168 (172.168, etc). Once I did that, It makes it difficult for those off my network to gain access to it unless I allow them & tell them what it is.

By doing this, I found everything runs fine. That is until the 16th when  el closed on me & had the problems. Everything else is running fine, on this 'puter or anything else I have connected.

That is not your public IP, or external IP as it's called.  What you changed is your local IP.  Nobody is going to see your local IPs.  If you are opening up ports, such as if you are running and hosting your own website, then you might need to have concerns.

It sounds as though possibly your ISP decided to start blocking port 2000.  Another possible thing to try is to reboot your router/modem.

This Wikipedia page might help explain what that 192.168.x.x address really is...

In a nutshell: the reason we don't see addresses in the 192.168.x.x range is that they are not allowed to be visible from the public network...

Oh, and you didn't change the outgoing IP address, you got it assigned from your ISP

(whom you might want to contact to ask about blocking port 2000).

That "super-secret" IP address is sent to every web server you connect to.

They need it to send you the page you requested...

Same with EL: game server and this forum receive your "secret" IP address, and admins can see it.

Guest Tovin

I understand sites will see the ip. Normally it isn't an issue. The router, modem & 'puter, I do reboot at randomn  times just to clear everything (hard reboot vs restart).

Now , as far as my provider blocking port 2000. If it is an issue moving forward, I will contact them. Here, I have tried to be polite, with my provider, I won't be.

Guest Tovin

If I do find they blocked anything, oh boy.....

Thank you for pointing that out. It is so easy to sit as -Is the prob on my end or yours?

When I get a chance, I'll try the game out. Just gonna be a pain going through the  command prompt to get into the game. Reminds me of Dos 6.2 & BBs'es...(before windows 3.1)

Guest Tovin
20 hours ago, revi said:

First off, don't trust everything online. In my experience, Wiki has been more in acurate on most topics I have looked at.

The "Super Secret Ip address" isnt what I refered to. I use a private network, NOT a "Ip Blocker"

If you want to respond here, miught I reckomend getting facts straight first, then respond. An example, El'l client IS NOT a server program. The Client is used to connect to the EL servers.

I hope this post may be of some use to you, but thanlk you for the effort.

20 hours ago, revi said:

This Wikipedia page might help explain what that 192.168.x.x address really is...

In a nutshell: the reason we don't see addresses in the 192.168.x.x range is that they are not allowed to be visible from the public network...

Oh, and you didn't change the outgoing IP address, you got it assigned from your ISP

(whom you might want to contact to ask about blocking port 2000).

That "super-secret" IP address is sent to every web server you connect to.

They need it to send you the page you requested...

Same with EL: game server and this forum receive your "secret" IP address, and admins can see it.

23 hours ago, Guest Toviin said:

I am logging in from home, on my own (Dsl) network, which I changed from the public 192.168.x.x To a completely pivate address. From that point, using a ddress which is private, I have been able to play el since until the 16th, when the client (oooops, according to them, the server) closed on it's own & wouldn't connect to the actual server. I even removed it completely from my system, downloaded it again, reinstalled & it continued to not connect.

Now, the solution seems to be, if I want to play El, I have to  open the command prompt, go to the directory then open "El.exe test" in-order to play

OMG do you not read the posts here?

Removing and reinstalling has been utterly pointless.

Something has changed at your end to stop you connecting to the server on port 2000. 

Nothing at all has changed on the server, and guess what we can all connect perfectly happily on port 2000.

So YOU need to work out what at YOUR end is blocking connection on port 2000, or find a way of connecting via a proxy / vpn using a different port.  There is nothing we can do!

If you wish to mess about on the test server... then by all means use that method, however remeber it is exactly that - a test server - so not really used.

Guest Tovin
15 minutes ago, Raz said:

Did you read the solution? Oviously not.

First, nothing changed on my end! While playing the game, it just closed & wouldn't connectbeyond that.

I am not running on/through a proxy.

I am not running a Virtual Proxy, I am on an actual private netwok. On said network, the game was running just fine until it closed.

After some back and forth, it was reckomended to run on the test server via the command prompt. If this soulution is a poor solution, then it should of never been mentioned.

Jumping down my throat just annoys everyone.

If you have a cronstructive solution, then (by all means) recomend it, don't get rude &/or nasty about it!!!

Other than myself, out of three people responding to this issue, there seems to be only 1 that has tried to be constructive

OMG do you not read the posts here?

Removing and reinstalling has been utterly pointless.

Something has changed at your end to stop you connecting to the server on port 2000. 

Nothing at all has changed on the server, and guess what we can all connect perfectly happily on port 2000.

So YOU need to work out what at YOUR end is blocking connection on port 2000, or find a way of connecting via a proxy / vpn using a different port.  There is nothing we can do!

If you wish to mess about on the test server... then by all means use that method, however remeber it is exactly that - a test server - so not really used.

No, I didn't recommend you play on test, I suggested you try that to see if that works.

Reason: port 2000 is regularly blocked, port 2001 is almost never blocked.

I also asked you to post terminal output from a normal run (to get more information),

a requst you completely ignored.

You also posted some "information" about your network which showed your (lack of) understanding of network issues.

That is not a problem, your attitude is.

Several of us have tried to explain what we think is going on. You ignore or misread at least half of what we say.

Then you act annoyed as if we don't understand what you say...

Fine with me, if that's how you want it, but I'm done wasting my time on this.

35 minutes ago, Guest Tovin said:

If you have a cronstructive solution, then (by all means) recomend it, don't get rude &/or nasty about it!!!

Start perhaps by taking your own advice.

I'm done here, good luck.

Edited by revi

Love what you have done with the quotes on here.... rest assure you have mis quoted me!

33 minutes ago, Guest Tovin said:

Jumping down my throat just annoys everyone.

Other than myself, out of three people responding to this issue, there seems to be only 1 that has tried to be constructive

As for a 'cronstructive(sic) solution', let me repeat :

YOU need to work out what at YOUR end is blocking connection on port 2000, or find a way of connecting via a proxy / vpn using a different port.  There is nothing we can do!

p.s. if 3 people tell you the same thing, perhaps start to believe them!

Guest Tovin

Well, you've made it clear that you are un-willing to hear what has been said. 2 out of 3 of you are pointing a finger to me, although nothing has changed on my end, then it stoped working.

If you had read the entire thing, I am willing to hear options (unlike you)

I hope that things get better for you & I hope one day your mind will open up so you can be willing to work with others vs pointing fingers (there are 3 pointing back at you)

2 out of 3 are pointing fingers & nasty is what I said, pay attention.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.