Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest Alemic

Music not working, but sounds works fine.

Guest Alemic

Hi everyone,

So long story short I have been playing EL on / off for a while. My name in game is Alemic.

Everything was working fine until last week. My computer crashed (actualy hard drive crashed, so I had to get a new one and

reinstall the OS)

I reinstalled everything and EL works. The funny thing is that the background music no longer works. However, the game sounds

do work, like walking, rain, character eating etc.

I can't understand why the music doesn't work and the sounds do work. Music is enabled and volume is set to max (1.00) Everything else on my pc is working fine. I'm running Debian 10,

installed Eternal lands via the Ubuntu / Debian package (ppa).

Please help me fix this issue? Thanks!

Make sure the music files also installed with the rest of it.  Do you have a separate music folder in the same directory as your sound folder?

Guest Alemic
2 hours ago, Aislinn said:

Make sure the music files also installed with the rest of it.  Do you have a separate music folder in the same directory as your sound folder?

Thanks for the reply Aislinn. Unfortunately I don't know this information as I cannot figure out where the game was installed. Could you direct me to the default installation location? Then I will check the folders.

That information could differ depending on where you installed it from.  I'll do my best to give you some options to check based on my own installations.

On Arch Linux, my directories are /home/sb/.elc  and /home/sb/el_linux.  I compiled it myself and that's where I chose to put them.  The music folder in this instance would be  the /home/sb/el_linux/music path.

I have an Ubuntu installation for an alt on a laptop just for kicks so I can help others with their Ubuntu installations.  The music folder in this setup would be located at:

/usr/share/games/EternalLands/music. 

On both of these, if you do have a music folder, make sure your path doesn't have two music folders: example: /home/sb/music/music/*.ogg.  (You should have both .pll and .ogg files in here)

My suspicion is you don't have a music folder with the necessary files as last I knew, that is a separate download.  Run this:

apt-get install eternallands-music 

Let us know how it turns out!

Guest Alemic
16 hours ago, Aislinn said:

My suspicion is you don't have a music folder with the necessary files as last I knew, that is a separate download.  Run this:

apt-get install eternallands-music 

Let us know how it turns out!

This has solved it. Weird because the last time I installed the game doing this step was not necessary. Anyway, I'm glad it's working now. Thanks for the help!

I made installing the music the default for all the packages I produce except the Ubuntu/Debian packages, for which its always been an optional dependency.  Next time I do a build of those packages, I can change that too.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.