Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

Best Default Top Players List

Best Default Top Players List  

24 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Based on when they last logged in, how far back should the default Top Players list track?

2. 2. How many players should be shown in each top chart by default?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/28/22 at 01:18 PM

I'm working on getting a new Top Players script done so we can get our Top Players page back, as Learner's is no longer available.

It won't be exactly the same, but as close as possible with some minor updates.

Learner's page had options to see top players for the past  week, month, year, whatever. And you could expand the list to up to 200.  I intend to do the same.

(With thanks to Vinoveritas for providing mercator's data on when players last logged in over the past year to help fill the lists.)

THESE QUESTIONS are concerning what gets shown on the default top players page. What should be shown when a person clicks "top players" in the website's menu?

Edited by Burn

For default I picked 1 year (personally I'd like to see even further back) and 50 players shown.

But I also think it would be very interesting to have an option to go back to an "all time" (meaning go back as far as the server does). I know those of us who have been around a long time like to compare to those who were tops in a given skill that don't play anymore.  (Blodoks with summoning comes to mind)

I may be able to go further back later, maybe a Decade list.

Last login doesn't get tracked by the server, and Learner's data is not available, so I'm relying on Vinoveritas' data from mercator to determine when people last logged in prior to  today.

That may give a reliable "past decade" list eventually. But I'll focus on just a year for now to speed up getting the page back online.

Remember these options are just for the default page. You'll have the option to view all of them regardless.

2 minutes ago, Burn said:

I may be able to go further back later, maybe a Decade list.

Last login doesn't get tracked by the server, and Learner's data is not available, so I'm relying on Vinoveritas' data from mercator to determine when people last logged in prior to  today.

That may give a reliable "past decade" list eventually. But I'll focus on just a year for now to speed up getting the page back online.

I don't understand what you mean by "last login doesn't get tracked by the server".   I can see connection logs going back to 2006.  And totally understand about focusing short term to get it back online asap.

Just now, Burn said:

Remember these options are just for the default page. You'll have the option to view all of them regardless.

Totally understood, and thrilled to have it back.

Just now, Aislinn said:

I don't understand what you mean by "last login doesn't get tracked by the server".   I can see connection logs going back to 2006.  And totally understand about focusing short term to get it back online asap.

Well, I don't personally have such access. ;-) Radu didn't bring it up either when discussing it earlier.

It would require knowing every single character's name from the beginning and grabbing all their info. Vino's list was over 85k names. And that's from the post-heyday years. :-o

Just my opinion. If someone has quit playing, I don't care what their level is on anything. I'd like to see just an active player list with 1 month to 3 months tops. 

As a returnee after a very loooong break, I can only say how pleased I am to see this being re-implemented. I'd been enjoying watching my slow climb back towards the top tables. 
I don't have any strong opinions on functionality but any form of top lists and individuals rankings would be nice, so appreciate the work to revive this whatever form it takes. 

Does anyone has a clear specification on what this page should look like / function ? It can get implemented on the game server level and data to be queried from eternal-lands.com domain.

Burn, how you plan to do it ?

7 minutes ago, mihaim said:

Does anyone has a clear specification on what this page should look like / function ? It can get implemented on the game server level and data to be queried from eternal-lands.com domain.

Burn, how you plan to do it ?

I'm handling everything, setting it up under a subdomain I maintain, like Learner did it on his other-life domain. Any other means of doing it will have to be discussed with radu and take time, and I'm just gonna do it the way I've already been working towards at least for the time being, not really even gonna discuss any other possible options right now, too much already done.

Check your PMs, I messaged you about some changes.

Edited by Burn

It is occuring to me that perhaps the minimum shown should be 100, as I look through the data. No 50 list.

As it is, we actually have 69 (giggity) people with OA 179, that's 69 (giggity) people at #1. Difficult to show in a 50 list.

Unless I handle the overall list differently... that's a possibility... something to think about over the weekend.

Edited by Burn

https://top.el-db.com/

A static list of updated stats is available (with an error on a tiny number of players that'll be corrected when it's next updated).

Just a temporary stopgap until I can get the multiple options and automated updating completed.

The "Top Players" link on the site menu now goes to this page as well so no need to mark it.

Updated the list to fix the error mentioned in previous post, lists should be fully correct now.

Should hopefully have the full setup done in the coming week, with the multiple list options.