Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aislinn

Peace Day Poll

Peace Day Poll  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favor of tweaking Peace Day?

• Yes, remove it completely.
    • Yes, reduce the rate in which it can be generated.
    • Yes, make it removable by players.
    • Yes, exempt some maps so everyone is happy - think instance, invance, etc. (other ideas welcome)
    • Other (please post thoughts below without ranting and without spamming)
    • No, leave it exactly as it is.

Every time this #day shows up, there is a lot of complaining and many log off or just go afk for the day.  I cannot guarantee anything will come of this but I think it would be interesting to see how people feel about it and not just the very vocal minority in @6.  I think this issue could be resolved without the extreme all or nothing approach, so let's hear what you all think.

This day served me well in my early days.  Making the day more rare would make it mostly unavailable to newer and low level players.  I understand that sometimes it feels that this day happens often in a bunch but that's the nature of randomness. We go long times without the day too.  Perhaps we make the day a 1/2 day? This way the complainers don't need to wait so long and the day happens occasionally enough for those who like it.

Peace day is no different to fighters than Green day is to harvesters or Labor day to mixers.  So it should have a removal stone just like many other bad days.

If I could vote twice, I'd also be OK with instance, invance exceptions on the day.  But I think a removal stone is more consistent.

I don't really care one way or the other. Not training, and I can easily live with skipping Haidir for a day.

Keep in mind that it is one of the few days where no creatures will attack, so much safer to explore, or, for new players, get books.

And, don't make it removable, please :P :

- (new) players exploring would not like the surprise

- possible luring: get some into a PK map or a dangerous map, then remove day;

- also sometimes a portals invasion is started before the end of the day, same issue, and the killing might start too early, not nice towards the invasion master

Removing green day or labor day doesn't have the option to damage anyone by itself...

Edited by revi

A possible adjustment could be made to the day.  It could be adjusted to how it is in Other-Life.  Learner has made the day very literal so that Peacetime is only during the daytime and you will be able to fight at night.  I don't think it should be removable as it is still a neutral day in my eyes as some players are negatively affected by it and others benefit from it.  Because it is neutral I think having the effects split (similar to solar flares day) would keep it a somewhat neutral day for everyone.

Removable with stone - bad idea as Revi has said.

Exempt instance / invance - no point only a few can take advantage as only 2 slots per range

Only during day?  Interesting - but still fcuks game for 3 hours

Does peace day have a purpose?  It's not peace - bombs work - so exploring is not without risk still, hydro pointless - mm is cheap as a perk these days so exploring not too tough

Limit to certain maps - chaos and requires a load of work Radu wont do.

12 minutes ago, Raz said:

Exempt instance / invance - no point only a few can take advantage as only 2 slots per range

It shouldn't be too hard to add more instance slots.  Should be done anyway but that's OT for now. :)

Making it not removable with stone makes sense to me for the reasons Revi mentionned above.
I guess it's fine when radu removes it and is giving heads up.
There are more than 1 instance type raz :P.

Instances, invances, lenny, ivan could be made melee-able, not sure how much extra coding that would require though.

I also think it's a great time for people to work on the global quest.

My thoughts:

It's not right that Labor Day and Green Day are removable but Peace Day is not.

6 hours is a long time to be forced to wait, as most people have a real life and don't have 12-18 hours a day to devote to games.

It does cause a disproportionate amount of people to just log off or go afk.  Not a good thing for a game.

It still lets unsuspecting explorers be killed with engineering. I do think that hydro can't just be a free for all but that could be handled with map exemptions.

31 minutes ago, dragon_killer said:

I also think it's a great time for people to work on the global quest.

Sounds good in theory but let's face it, many players are pure fighters and that's what they enjoy and that's all they'll do. It strikes me as very self-defeating to block this for 6 hours.

Yes, except some maps so everyone is happy - think instance, invance, etc.

But I do not see exact need for new insta-map slots. Quick teams are simply quicker in using slots than others. Its competition too.

Rest of them (imo not many) will "suffer" peace day. The same way as harversters suffer on green, manu ppl. on no laber.  

And, under the line, No difference from any wife saying to her husband: No beer today ...

5 minutes ago, Holar said:

Rest of them (imo not many) will "suffer" peace day. The same way as harversters suffer on green, manu ppl. on no laber. 

These can be removed, though.

16 minutes ago, Holar said:

11 minutes ago, Aislinn said:

These can be removed, though.

But their removal can't really be abused. I think this has come up before and it was the reason radu gave not to make a removal for peace day.

And we all know that if something can be abused, it will be (sun tzu with invances, flee training in invasions and invances, summoning/casting when a player is overcap, ...)

2 minutes ago, revi said:

But their removal can't really be abused. I think this has come up before and it was the reason radu gave not to make a removal for peace day.

And we all know that if something can be abused, it will be (sun tzu with invances, flee training in invasions and invances, summoning/casting when a player is overcap, ...)

I don't necessarily disagree but I'm just pointing out that it's not the same thing because harvesters and mixers have some recourse. Fighters do not.

Poll options 1 and 3 seem to have been addressed already, 2 has been touched upon by Nogrod.

Option 4, selective maps, might be far more coding than people realise (can only think of two people who could definitely answer that), so it might be a non-option.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is a possible option 5: Add to the set of mods who can change #day. That could mean just the most senior mod, or some of them, or perhaps a new mod command solely for changing a Peace Day to an Ordinary Day (to prevent abuse by a nefarious mod). (The advantage of a moderator being able to remove the day being that they can provide blue spam warning to prevent the scenarios revi mentioned.) My guess is that a new mod command could be far less involved than exempting selective maps from the effects of a day, but it's only a guess.

I'm among the players who usually log off on peace day, why I voted "Exempt some maps".

Having said that, I see both Aislinn's and revi's point and agree with them  - so what about a "delayed" removal with a blue spam warning like this:

This day will be removed in 30 minutes.    (or make it 60 minutes, so anyone who wants to do exploring, do quests, run hydro etc. can do it in peace)

This day will be removed in 10 minutes.

This day will be removed in 1 minute.

Not sure how tricky this would be to implement, but as a fighter, I'd rather wait 1 hour than 6 hours...

47 minutes ago, Lalaith said:

I'm among the players who usually log off on peace day, why I voted "Exempt some maps".

Having said that, I see both Aislinn's and revi's point and agree with them  - so what about a "delayed" removal with a blue spam warning like this:

This day will be removed in 30 minutes.    (or make it 60 minutes, so anyone who wants to do exploring, do quests, run hydro etc. can do it in peace)

This day will be removed in 10 minutes.

This day will be removed in 1 minute.

Not sure how tricky this would be to implement, but as a fighter, I'd rather wait 1 hour than 6 hours...

I almost suggested making the day removable only in the first X minutes.....similar idea

Would it be possible to turn it in to a semi positive day by just making it so players can't be attacked (by mobs or other players) but can still attack mobs? Would allow safe exploration, but would still allow people who mostly play for the combat aspects to continue to enjoy?

At the very least, would be nice to make it so engineering items cannot do damage on Peace Day so that at least hydro runs are open as an alternative activity for the day.

Make a day of diplomacy out of it : you Cant attack but Trade the Monsters you give  them something and by Chance it Returns you something out of bis Loot :)

18 hours ago, shadowgate said:

A possible adjustment could be made to the day.  It could be adjusted to how it is in Other-Life.  Learner has made the day very literal so that Peacetime is only during the daytime and you will be able to fight at night.  I don't think it should be removable as it is still a neutral day in my eyes as some players are negatively affected by it and others benefit from it.  Because it is neutral I think having the effects split (similar to solar flares day) would keep it a somewhat neutral day for everyone.

I like this idea, 3 hours peace day when its light, the 3 hours in darkness you can fight :)

If it's to be changed, the option to reduce the hours to daylight only seems to be the best compromise.

Definite "no" to allowing it as a Bad Day removal, for reasons radu has already stated himself.

Answer to the poll - Leave it as is, or if a change must be made - make engineering items also do 0 damage on peace days as Ozzy suggests above.

Opinion on the subject - The problem with peace day isn't actually peace day. It's lack of engaging content for players who's primary objectives are fighting. Negating bombs on peace days would provide one such activity. 

On 3/25/2022 at 10:06 AM, Ozmondius said:

It's fine as is, except you should not be able to kill with engineering either.

speak for yourself!!!!