Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest millen_ralley

Game Locks Up At Server Screen Before Login

Guest millen_ralley

Game worked fine for over a year on the same machine and OS.

The game locks up on the server connect screen (before the log in screen) within the GUI

Using Linux Mint 20.2 (Cinnamon)
- MS Core Fonts Installed
- Ubuntu Unrestricted

The issue seems to be with the fonts loading. Wasn't an issue until a couple weeks ago. No new updates to the fonts.

- I tried unitalling the MS Core Fonts
- I tried using an earlier Graphics Driver
- I tried putting the cofiguration in "poor man" mode

The following is graphics and log information:
----------------------------------------------

Output from "lspci | grep -i vga":
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] (rev a1)
Output from "glxinfo | head -5":
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4

The following is your error log contents.  Note it is overwritten each time you run the game.

[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/engine/logging.cpp:311] Log started at: Sat Feb  5 11:02:32 2022 EST
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/engine/logging.cpp:314] version: 1.9.6
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/fonts-gujr-extra/padmaa-Medium-0.5.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/lohit-punjabi/Lohit-Gurmukhi.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/Navilu/Navilu.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/lohit-kannada/Lohit-Kannada.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/sinhala/lklug.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/msttcorefonts/Webdings.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/noto/NotoColorEmoji.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/openoffice/opens___.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/lohit-gujarati/Lohit-Gujarati.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/fonts-orya-extra/utkal.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/lohit-bengali/Lohit-Bengali.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/Gubbi/Gubbi.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/fonts-telu-extra/vemana2000.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/fonts-telu-extra/Pothana2000.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/samyak/Samyak-Devanagari.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst-one/KacstOne.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst-one/KacstOne-Bold.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/lohit-tamil/Lohit-Tamil.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstDecorative.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstQurn.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstPen.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstArt.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstOffice.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstScreen.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstFarsi.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstNaskh.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/mry_KacstQurn.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstDigital.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstPoster.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstTitle.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstBook.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstTitleL.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/kacst/KacstLetter.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/lohit-oriya/Lohit-Odia.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/malayalam/RaghuMalayalamSans-Regular.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/samyak-fonts/Samyak-Gujarati.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/samyak-fonts/Samyak-Tamil.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/samyak-fonts/Samyak-Malayalam.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/droid/DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/lohit-assamese/Lohit-Assamese.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/fonts-guru-extra/Saab.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/lohit-tamil-classical/Lohit-Tamil-Classical.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/fonts-kalapi/Kalapi.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/font.cpp:181] Error: Unable to render text with TTF font file '/lohit-malayalam/Lohit-Malayalam.ttf'
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/interface.c:484] Info: Using hardwired continent overview maps: 2
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/io/elfilewrapper.c:310] Error: Can't load zip file /home/steven/.elc/unofficial_custom_clothes.zip
[11:02:32, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/sound.c:5018] Error: Warning: Points defined for default boundary. Points will be ignored.
[11:02:33] Last message repeated 14 times
[11:02:33, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/json_io.cpp:32] Info: int JSON_IO_Client_State::Client_State::load(const char*):744  [/home/steven/.elc/official/client_state.json]
[11:02:33, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/sound.c:4269] Info: Sound devices detected: OpenAL Soft
[11:02:33, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/sound.c:4274] Info: Soundcard device attempted:
[11:02:33, /build/eternallands-Whf0El/eternallands-1.9.6.0/sound.c:4294] Info: Soundcard device in-use: OpenAL Soft

It looks like you are getting past the font set-up, the font errors are just fonts that cannot be used by the client.

It look like you are posting the output from the Ubuntu packages launcher which only happens after a crash.  If its a lock up, are you forcing the client to terminate to get that output?

What is the last loading message displayed before it locks up?

Have you tried connecting to the test server?

Edited by bluap

Guest millen_ralley
1 hour ago, bluap said:

It looks like you are getting past the font set-up, the font errors are just fonts that cannot be used by the client.

It look like you are posting the output from the Ubuntu packages launcher which only happens after a crash.  If its a lock up, are you forcing the client to terminate to get that output?

What is the last loading message displayed before it locks up?

Have you tried connecting to the test server?

Thanks for respoinding!

* Yes I am forcing the client to terminate, it just sits on the load screen .

* The last message is: Connecting to server.

* I don't know how to connect to the test servers when initially starting up, there is no dialogue for that while loading. Where and what configuration file do edit and what do I put in it?

Thanks. 

I'd check if it's a network issue....

try telnet game.eternal-lands.com 2000 (main) or port 2001 for test.

Could well be that your connection to the server on port 2000 is blocked?

(am not a *nix user and on android atm - but pretty sure that's the right address to try)

Guest millen_ralley

Telnet didn't resolve.

The command you suggested, is actually 'el.linux.bin test' but that also did not resolve.

Do you know which ports the game regularly uses ? My firewall maybe blocking them, though I checked port 2001 and its open, bi-directionally..

Using telnet would not resolve the issue but just test if you could connect to the server

The command is this, telenet <domain> <port>

telnet game.eternal-lands.com 2000

When run from a terminal, I get this output:

Trying 192.99.21.222...
Connected to game.eternal-lands.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
G�Welcome to the new server! Please report any problems on channel 6.
<Ѳr�

The "Welcome to the new server!...." bit shows that I can connect to the main server OK.  If you do not get that text, there is a problem with you connecting to the game server that is not due to the client but that is likely due to your ISP.

Again, connecting to the test server would not correct the problem, it would just prove that the game is working on your system and the problem is likely access to the main game port, 2000.

How exactly are you trying to connect to the server? Direct connection from your home, VPN, or something else?

And with which character?

Guest mister_lister

I'm directly connected to the internet via a router, no vpn.

I don't even get to the screen where I choose a character (I only have one character).

So no messages, normal connection, no changes on your part,

but suddenly you can't log in anymore. Is that a correct summary?

Perhaps sending me your current IP address in a forum PM could give a hint.

(I then can ask aislinn or radu to check for banned ranges)

Or your ISP has started blocking port 2000. It would not be the first one to do so. Please try the telnet command bluap posted, it will tell us whether you can make a connection to the server at all. If you cannot, you can try to connect through learner's proxy.  

Guest mister_lister

I checked my firewalls, one on my machine and the router, both allow telnet connections.

When I try to connect with telnet to the address and port you gave it just hangs on "Trying to connect...."

I will pm my ip address to revi.

Thanks.

Well, your firewalls are one thing, if the ISP blocks traffic from/to port 2000, you 'd still not be able to connect.

You could try using "traceroute game.eternal-lands.com"
or "sudo traceroute game.eternal-lands.com"

Another possibility is a DNS problem, but that would be surprising.

What is suspicious is the complete absence of *any* message from the server. Even if you were on a banned

IP address, you'd get a message.

Try

./el.linux.bin lrnr-main

to connect to the game through learner's proxy.

(Disclaimer: on phone, no access to game data. Check servers.lst in your game data directory if lrnr-main is correct)

23 hours ago, Guest mister_lister said:

I checked my firewalls, one on my machine and the router, both allow telnet connections.

When I try to connect with telnet to the address and port you gave it just hangs on "Trying to connect...."

I will pm my ip address to revi.

Thanks.

You need to check that port 2000 is allowed on your firewalls, not the default telnet port (23).  You do not need port 23 for EL, we are just using the telnet command to test access.  The 2000 on the suggest command line will make telnet use port 2000 rather than 23; so its testing the game port.

Edit: Also, if you are adjusting firewall rules.  Your only need to allow outgoing traffic on port 2000 for the game to work, not incoming.  The game does not require any special incoming ports to be open.

Edited by bluap

So, looks like the last time "millen_ralley" was in game was jan, 26, 2022, around 18h (European time).

Anything that may have changed after that date? Anything at all, like switching ISP, or switching from copper to glass fibre...

Or any other internet problems you had since the date above?

Issues with Port 2000 is the original reason I created my Proxy, and then added improving Network Performance that has helped people with bad or slow connections. It even helps people with good connections during map changes or in crowded/busy areas (like invasions).

Some ISP's and other places (like hotels) block port 2000 since it used by some very common internet phone systems.

The 1.9.6.0 Client when using the new SSL connection feature also gets around the port 2000 problems and goes through my Proxy, but you must select the proper server connection.

Guest milen_ralley

So, as grum suggested I typed in

el.linux.bin lrnr-main

and it got to the login \ character selection screen and was able to get into the game where I left off.  But have the previous problem when launching with the icon in the menu.

2 hours ago, Guest milen_ralley said:

So, as grum suggested I typed in

el.linux.bin lrnr-main

and it got to the login \ character selection screen and was able to get into the game where I left off.  But have the previous problem when launching with the icon in the menu.

That's good news.  The lrnr-main config uses port 443 like https so will not get blocked.  If you want to switch to that for the launcher, you can change the default in-game from the server tab of the options window.  Down the bottom of the tab select lrnr-main from the "Default Server ID" list.  It should then use that for the next restart.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.