Eternal Lands Official Forums
Starlite

Water display

Can anyone help with this problem, water displays fine when inside, but outside does not display correctly.  I have the same issue on my pc (Intel i5) and on my laptop (Intel i7).  Wondering if there is some setting IScreenshot_(3).thumb.png.cb057e3a630a9aa3a2648d6f95053147.png need to adjust.  Screenshot_(2).thumb.png.40caac66a995cc97fd1d30e656310ba4.png

What you're seeing is correct. These are 2 different water tile graphics. You can also try the "Show Reflections" checkbox in the GFX tab of the Options window for another way to display the water.

On the Video tab of your options, you need to have "Toggle Frame Buffer Support" ticked and the "water shader quality" setting underneath needs to be greater than zero.

Cheers for that bluap - tried it :(

With shader set to 0 you get a flat pale blue water - with no texture at all (same as with it off)

With shader > 0 you get a textureless surface that changes from white to almost black as you rotate the camera / walk past - most unpleasant

I presume you have the shaders installed?  There should be a sub-directory of the data called shaders, that contains these files:

anim_depth.vert  anim_ghost_shadow.vert  anim_ghost.vert  anim_shadow.vert  anim.vert  reflectiv_water_fs.glsl  water_fs.glsl

Those files are in C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\shaders

image.thumb.png.1729cf7ea677e3bba4e6a9c06c0c25ca.png 

Checked the startup - and all is green apart from these 3 lines :

[14:30:21] Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...
[14:30:21] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...
[14:30:21] Not using vertex program for actor animation.

FTR the two images in the top post show two different ground tile types. The "inside" one in PL cave has a special water tile that just looks the way it does by default, similar to the way lava does, and has no reflections like the outside image water. So they're not comparable in that respect.

Comparable indoor water with reflections is rare, but exists for example in Zirakinbar - rat cave (and South Zirakgunda near rat cave exit).

So it's not really a matter of inside/outside as it is just specific water types that provide such detail.

have the same problem as Raz.
when i turn on reflection and set water shader quality to other than 0, water area start "blinks" :(

have this problem only on intel GPU, on NVIADIA all works well.

i cant turn on UVP too, when i did it all actors (ppl  NPCs, bots, animals) geting invisible,  maybe is it a problem?

on old laptop with intel GPU (3th gen procesor) all works fine, idk where is a problem, driver are up to date

3 hours ago, karolus said:

have the same problem as Raz.
when i turn on reflection and set water shader quality to other than 0, water area start "blinks" :(

have this problem only on intel GPU, on NVIADIA all works well.

i cant turn on UVP too, when i did it all actors (ppl  NPCs, bots, animals) geting invisible,  maybe is it a problem?

on old laptop with intel GPU (3th gen procesor) all works fine, idk where is a problem, driver are up to date

I have the invisible actors problem with Nvidia too, but if I restart the client with UVP it works fine.  I normally have UVP off as it makes the characters eyes look weird (another bug I've not been able to fix).

Has the problem with water always been the same, in particular pre 1.9.5p26 when we moved to SDL2?

Edited by bluap
Edited SDL2 version

57 minutes ago, bluap said:

Has the problem with water always been the same, in particular pre 1.9.5p2 when we moved to SDL2?

im not sure, i have this problem for long time, i though that is intel GPU fault, and it gone on new laptop with new GPU....
on 100% problem was with release from ~jull, propably earlier one too, but i cant remember exactly

btw, sry for my english :)

I have an integrated Intel 530 HD graphics chipset. I see no problems in Linux, but running on Windows in virtualbox on the same machine shows some other interesting issues:

elscreen001.thumb.png.30daf9032180fda99a38193ab7b090e6.png

This is with the water shader quality set to 1. With the level at 2 I get some extra striping.

Well, at least I have something I can reproduce. I'll see if I can do anything fix this.

Looks like the vertical coordinate of the reflection is flipped on my Windows installation somehow. Patching the reflective water shader to flip the y coordinate:

--- reflectiv_water_fs.glsl.orig        2022-01-02 12:17:14.316457200 +0100
+++ reflectiv_water_fs.glsl     2022-01-02 12:05:26.031011000 +0100
@@ -47,6 +47,7 @@
        reflection_tex_coord += noise_diplacment * noise_scale.xy;
        tile_tex_coord += noise_diplacment * noise_scale.zw;
 #endif // USE_NOISE
+       reflection_tex_coord = vec2(reflection_tex_coord.x, 1.0 - reflection_tex_coord.y);

#ifdef USE_CUBIC_FILTER
        vec2 coord_hg = reflection_tex_coord * size - vec2(0.5, 0.5);

elscreen001.thumb.png.c695c58aaf853e6c78d25a4e40e480b7.png

fixes the water reflection for me.

Of course, the same change messes up the display in my Linux, so we either need to detect when to do something like this, or fix the root cause of this problem.

Also, my actor textures seem messed up somehow. Perhaps a similar problem?

Edited by Grum

GRUM, can you explain (in n00b style) what it was wrong and what i can change?

edt file? which? etc.

tyvm in advance

3 hours ago, karolus said:

GRUM, can you explain (in n00b style) what it was wrong and what i can change?

edt file? which? etc.

tyvm in advance

This fix is incomplete, as (at least on my system) it renders the wrong side of the reflected objects. Although it looks more or less right, due to the waves on the water, what you are seeing is actually the inside of the reflected objects. This is also the reason you don't see the sky reflected in the water. Also, making this change unconditionally will break the water display for systems that currently display the reflection correctly.

I am working on finding a proper solution, I already have away to detect if the reflection texture is upside down.

In the mean time, if you really want to try what I did: in your EL data folder, there should be a folder named "shaders", which contains a file named "reflectiv_water_fs.glsl". Open this file in a text editor, and add a line

reflection_tex_coord = vec2(reflection_tex_coord.x, 1.0 - reflection_tex_coord.y);

right before the line that reads

#ifdef  USE_CUBIC_FILTER

If you do so, please let me know here if that works for you. In particular, if it does show some reflection, I would be interested to know if you also see the inside of the reflected object (best seen with water shader quality set to 1 in the settings window)..

It is possible you have to remove this change once a proper fix is in the client, though.

Edited by Grum
Spelling fixes

OK so I did this - 

There are 2 x 

#ifdef  USE_CUBIC_FILTER

in the file.

If I inserted before the first one - I could not change the quality - was fixed at 0 - and even if I set to 2, then made the change it reverted to 0.  

Removing from there and adding before the second one - back to same thing - flickering and no definition of reflection or ripple at all :(

Dint help to me too :(
i add "

reflection_tex_coord = vec2(reflection_tex_coord.x, 1.0 - reflection_tex_coord.y);

in 50 line 

and is a bit better, no flickering water area, but still no reflection :(

On 16/10/2021 at 3:32 PM, Raz said:

[14:30:21] Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...
[14:30:21] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

Raz reminded me of this. These two are harmless, I don't have these extensions either, and as far as I can see, the client (nowadays?) never uses them, only s3tc compression.

Hold tight on this one guys..... Grum the patient, Grum the Genius & Grum the wizard has been working on this issue with me..... 

On a test build of EL - I can see the water, ripples, reflections & shadows....... OMG - so grateful.

This just now needs to be put into a proper client build - but there is definitely light (and reflections etc) at the end of the tunnel.

image.png.36800181066c16eec898db774abb5700.png

wow, nice \o/

unfortunatelly its not work for me :(

downloaded this pack https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/el_win_x86_64.zip unpacked and copied all file do /program files/eternal lands...

but after restart still cant see water :(

water shader quality set for 2 ofc

Edited by karolus

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.