Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daniken

Event Ideas + EL Promo vids

This post is to discuss a few event ideas, as well as me requesting some help in creating some EL videos I will post on YouTube (possibly elsewhere as well) that will be designed specifically for promoting the game to new players. This is an open discussion on both topics, as well as a place to discuss how you can help with either, if you are so inclined.

For the YouTube videos, I am planning some extended videos showing off EL and explaining what makes it special and why it is well worth exploring. Rather than comparing it to other games, it will explain what sets it apart.  I would like to find some players who would like to assist in creating various short "scenes" that will essentially be cut into an organized montage falling in time with the narration.
I'll use the same game footage to assemble a short "trailer" for the game as well.
There will be a few videos meant to accompany the main promo video that goes a little more in-depth into certain aspects of the game, and then a series of "beginner tips" and some videos going into more history of the game.

If you want to help in any aspect of the videos, from "acting/appearing" in some of the "scenes" to making a graphic, music, etc - any potential contribution is worthy of discussion.

EVENTS
Some event ideas I am in the process of planning, and would LOVE to have some open discussion on the best way to carry them out.

My first event was overall a success in that it got a nice chunk of the community involved, and most of the feedback received was positive (you can't please everyone, and it's always the few dissatisfied ones who speak up the loudest ;) ).
Having said that; any events going forward will either be well-organized beforehand (a process that requires a bit of coordination coming from both organizer and participant), or postponed, if there are any last second issues. Most importantly; I am requesting volunteers to help ensure these events run as smoothly as possible. (Example; someone to hand out prizes in a drawing as I reveal the winners, which saves a lot of time).

-PK Events-
-PK Teams Event in KF. -We could do capture the flag, we could elect a number of captains who will select teammates, we could have guild battles... the question is; what would participants enjoy the most, and what format would allow for the largest possibly number of participants?
--PK Desert Pines Arena Event  - Anyone above a/d 40 would be allowed to participate, with a handful of gear/item limitations, to keep the fights from going too long etc.

-Non-PK Events-
-the 1st Annual Great Irilion Footrace - A footrace or short series of footraces, to take place in some of Irilion's largest interior maps.
Some will say Speedhax only, some will say No Speedhax. The answer may be to have a few races, the shortest of which does not allow speedhax. This is a good point to discuss.
As some of these maps are extremely maze-like, and also to help watch for cheating, a number of characters can serve both as "guides" and extra sets of eyes on the course. I can handle placing a few chars along the track myself, but if some would like to volunteer to sit some of their alts as well, that would be a great help.

-RolePlaying style "Quest" event- Once started, each day, or 1 day a week (haven't decided yet) there will be another chapter of the event, which will take the form of a series of riddles, a hide and seek, different mini-games. The less people who complete the quest, the greater the prize for the winners. In addition to this concept to keep friends from cheating/helping each other, quest items, locations etc will sometimes vary slightly for individual participants.
For this event to work, it would require a reasonable number of volunteers to help with certain simple but vital tasks.

-Guild challenge mixing event- Guilds will be challenged to produce the most of a certain item within a certain time frame. Participating guilds pay an entry fee that goes to the prize pool, Additional gc is added by myself and anyone who wishes to donate. These should be items that require little to no nexus. I have a fun one in mind :D
Why do this?? Fun...

-If you want to help-
-Anyone is welcome to donate prizes for events. Any and all donated prizes will be given to my alt; Ursa_Omega for safe keeping. If you donate an event prize, you can specify what event it is for, or if non-specified, it can be used as a prize for any contest/event, at any time. A record will be kept of all events/prizes going forward, in the appropriate public forum post, and obviously a record of what prizes have been donated, and by who. If you donate an item/gc but change your mind before it is given as a prize, you are free to take it back at any time. Once a prize is given, it's gone. So be sure before you donate anything.
-If you want to physically participate in the non-pk events (ex. serve as a guide/passage blocker in an underground race) you are free to enter one of your alts into the guild for "event characters" OWL. You are free to get the OWL tag any time you like, but you have to cannot enter anonymously; you must verify  by PM from your main char. (This is an event participation guild, for the purpose of identification and communication during events)
-I need to talk to an expert on the game lore for an hour to get some additional knowledge for the RP Quest Event.
-I need the help of a moderator or two if I want to successfully run the pk events.
-Literally anyone who wants to can volunteer to help with some of the staged scenes for the youtube promo video(s). Just tell me and when the time comes i'll PM you. Most of these should be extremely quick and easy.

If you've read this far, you either have something to contribute or some sort of gripe or insult. Please don't hesitate to leave both in the comments below.
Main goal of all this is for everyone to have fun, so I want to hear your opinions :D

Edited by daniken

Daniken,

A lot of these things would give the game a sense of "life", more to anticipate other than inva/invc. Out of the event ideas you mentioned, I would be most interested in skilling/item creation competition amongst guilds. Seeing who can churn out the most essence or item in a given time would be a good challenge, but I wonder how to enforce guilds "starting from scratch" per se.

I'm available anytime to serve as an extra for any skit or vid, and will gladly donate to prize pools.

Boil

Edited by Boileux

On 7/22/2021 at 9:15 PM, Boileux said:

Daniken,

A lot of these things would give the game a sense of "life", more to anticipate other than inva/invc. Out of the event ideas you mentioned, I would be most interested in skilling/item creation competition amongst guilds. Seeing who can churn out the most essence or item in a given time would be a good challenge, but I wonder how to enforce guilds "starting from scratch" per se.

I'm available anytime to serve as an extra for any skit or vid, and will gladly donate to prize pools.

Boil

Thank you! :) That's the main point of all this.

All the above ideas need some additional thoughts, opinions and insight to make them as fun and successful as possible.

My thoughts so far for the guild manu challenge: there will be no way to ensure guilds start entirely from scratch. but some factors will work to lessen the impact of this factor:
-The items we select should be carefully chosen (You will understand once I post the first one ;) )
-The prizes will be decent but not astronomically high; so at a certain point it would be wasting gc in order to win

I have added you to the list of interested parties/volunteers, thank you! As I iron out individual plans, I will contact you