Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

Ranging Lock disables when someone else is fighting

I saw there was an issue when ranging something that is in battle, but this is different.

If ranging lock is enabled, and someone  else attacks something nearby (you're not involved), ranging lock disables when the "auto-disable when being attacked" is set.

reproduction example: Sitting afk at Naralik storage. Someone else nearby attacks a spider doing daily or such. I'm still afk not involved, but ranging lock disables.

Not exactly a bad scenario for it to disable, but just an example. This shouldn't be happening when you're not personally under attack or even involved in the "nearby" battle.

Edited by Burn

Thought this was a feature to make it so that you either:

• Have auto disable on: get constantly auto-disabled while ranging near others fighting, accidentally walk toward a mob, get engaged with sub-optimal gear and die (brick). Or
  • Have auto disable off: forget you have a bow equipped with range lock on, or shoot a mob and pull it toward you, get engaged with sub-optimal gear and die (Brick).

Maybe auto-disable is supposed to only kick in when you personally are engaged, not anyone else. But it's worked the way you've described for as long as I know.

Personally, I've never liked Ranging lock being an option, with or without auto-disable. You need to watch what your are doing, not just click on the mobs and expect the ranging lock to prevent you from attacking!

Auto disable kicking in when someone else is under attach looks like a bug.  The code does not check if the person fighting is you but could very easily do so.

5 hours ago, Learner said:

Personally, I've never liked Ranging lock being an option, with or without auto-disable. You need to watch what your are doing, not just click on the mobs and expect the ranging lock to prevent you from attacking!

It's not a matter of that. You can still be watching what you're doing and still click wrong. Esp. if you're like me and have hand issues such as psoriatic arthritis. One wrong ache and suddenly I'm somewhere I don't want to be just because the creature's movement went slightly away from where I clicked for just a half second. On top of this game having just enough delay at times when the cursor switches to cause issues.

Regardless, the feature already exists, so no point in this post in the first place. I don't prescribe to the "screw the players" mentality that has made the game what it is(n't) today, I focus on QoL for those of us who dare keep playing after all this time.

5 hours ago, bluap said:

Auto disable kicking in when someone else is under attach looks like a bug.  The code does not check if the person fighting is you but could very easily do so.

Yes, this is what I was thinking. :)

Edited by Burn

10 hours ago, Burn said:

Regardless, the feature already exists, so no point in this post in the first place. I don't prescribe to the "screw the players" mentality that has made the game what it is(n't) today, I focus on QoL for those of us who dare keep playing after all this time.

Check Other-Life, you will see that mentality quite hard and is why that game has still about 20 players after all those years and all that potential.

Expect incoming sentences starting with "keep in mind that" from Learner. Beware, they are mostly non-sense and not-positive-point-of-view anyways.

Thanks for backing up for EL'ers, we miss the feeling.

Not really looking to go down that route. There's been a "make stuff harder just for the sake of making it harder" thing going on for a long while, and not limited to any one person.

I live in a gray world, not black and white.

Learner has also provided assistance with scripts that help find map issues and such, which along with my own scripts have vastly improved map work. A lot of QoL improvements there in the past 2 and coming official release.

I saw a bug, I posted it. That's the only purpose here.

10 hours ago, Burn said:

It's not a matter of that. You can still be watching what you're doing and still click wrong. Esp. if you're like me and have hand issues such as psoriatic arthritis. One wrong ache and suddenly I'm somewhere I don't want to be just because the creature's movement went slightly away from where I clicked for just a half second. On top of this game having just enough delay at times when the cursor switches to cause issues.

Yes, this is what I was thinking. :)

Agreed it looks like a bug.

My other comment was more to get people to think more about actually playing and discussing it. Just a personal opinion and not trying to dictate anything. Sometimes interesting discussions come up from disagree or having an opposing viewpoint given.

6 minutes ago, Learner said:

Agreed it looks like a bug.

My other comment was more to get people to think more about actually playing and discussing it. Just a personal opinion and not trying to dictate anything. Sometimes interesting discussions come up from disagree or having an opposing viewpoint given.

I don't think an interesting discussion could come up about ranging from a person who never shot a single arrow in this game.

Play the game first, comment or give opinions later about the gameplay.