Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

New client update available 1.9.5.p9

6 hours ago, Raz said:

OK so yesterday I was in the invasion ranging / fighting.

Client did not crash - but did get some weird visual bugs

I don't think any of these have been introduced with this client update.  Several similar things existed before and none of the code related to this has been changed IIRC.  Which version of the client were you using before?  There are several, possibly related issues with ranging and horse riding that have been hard to reproduce and track down.  The nearest I got was a partial fix but it may need a server change.

The worse one sounds like 5) as it could be that part of the client has got locked in a loop.  I'd expect a map change or teleport to fix any of the animation or equipment issues.  Was any part of the client UI unresponsive?  Were your teleport casts actually happening but you were just not moving?  Did you check the error logs?

2 hours ago, bluap said:

I don't think any of these have been introduced with this client update.  Several similar things existed before and none of the code related to this has been changed IIRC.  Which version of the client were you using before?  There are several, possibly related issues with ranging and horse riding that have been hard to reproduce and track down.  The nearest I got was a partial fix but it may need a server change.

The worse one sounds like 5) as it could be that part of the client has got locked in a loop.  I'd expect a map change or teleport to fix any of the animation or equipment issues.  Was any part of the client UI unresponsive?  Were your teleport casts actually happening but you were just not moving?  Did you check the error logs?

Yes 5 was a tad scary - but once I realise the dragon could not attack me I was fine.  UI was working - could open store eat etc.

Didn't check error logs

Previously was using the updated zip file you provided recently.

Thing is cannot remember when I last did such an intensive range / melee session as this, so could well have been an existing bug!

OK bizarre and trivial issue....

If a line in local chat starts with ----- then the player name is not capitalised according to the case when they logged in.

4 x - and it is                          Raz: ----

5 x - or more it is not            raz: -----

Utterly irrelevant - but the anal part of me feels it should be reported - just in case it has wider implications!

https://gyazo.com/28506658e9c5bcb769f7d1c4eb20eada

On 4/27/2021 at 11:41 PM, Raz said:

OK bizarre and trivial issue....

If a line in local chat starts with ----- then the player name is not capitalised according to the case when they logged in.

4 x - and it is                          Raz: ----

5 x - or more it is not            raz: -----

Utterly irrelevant - but the anal part of me feels it should be reported - just in case it has wider implications!

https://gyazo.com/28506658e9c5bcb769f7d1c4eb20eada

That's the caps filter kicking in, but why it lower cases the name in this case when it doesn't when you're SHOUTing is still a mystery to me. I'll take a look to see if I can fix this.

EDIT: ah, shouted text is also lower-cased before it is sent to the server, so that when it comes back to the clients it is already in lower case and is not filtered again. But lower-casing your "-----" text does nothing, and then the whole text line is lower cased. The latter is a bug IMO, it should lower case after the name.

Edited by Grum

I am not sure why but i am facing 3 problems with new client 

first is when i minimize and maximize the client i get a black screen for a flash if inside or white screen if outside , just a flash

second the tab maps shrunk to middle and smaller , not like old client where it was edge to edge and big

thirdly when i close the client and open to relog more than half the client is off the screen and i need pull and drag to middle everytime.

I have completely uninstalled old client and folder and installed new one with burn 2 maps but problem exists on both 32 and 64 bit for me .

Ty if u cud help if i have some problem in my laptop settings

46 minutes ago, violater said:

first is when i minimize and maximize the client i get a black screen for a flash if inside or white screen if outside , just a flash

second the tab maps shrunk to middle and smaller , not like old client where it was edge to edge and big

thirdly when i close the client and open to relog more than half the client is off the screen and i need pull and drag to middle everytime.

I have completely uninstalled old client and folder and installed new one with burn 2 maps but problem exists on both 32 and 64 bit for me .

Ty if u cud help if i have some problem in my laptop settings

Do you know what version your old client was? I ask because I think these things would have shown prior to p9.

How long is the flash on item 1? I get a black flash (no white flashes) but it's only for a fraction of a second so it doesn't cause any problems.

The amount of empty space around the tab maps is dependent on the window aspect ratio. With the window scaling functionality it is more noticeable.  The map should scale with the window until it entirely fills either the vertical or horizontal space.  For example, if you have a very wide window, the tab map should fill the vertical space and there will be empty space on the sides. If you have a very tall window, the tab map should fill the horizontal space and there will be empty space on the top and bottom.  If you're seeing space on both the top and sides, then that indeed is buggy.

The 3rd item seems like a window manager issue.  It might be a good idea to post this under the help section for your OS.

Talking of black flashes....elscreen099.thumb.png.04de1cf7ed58369cd163f92e88ea9df1.png

This was using latest client - on a very long high exp session.

Only seemed to happen when lots of stuff around me.

Happened when I or a player near me cast a spell - MD seemed a particular favourite!

Screen went black for the duration of the spell and a bit more.  With odd flashes of normal screen in the middle.

As it was a tad scary - I rebooted client and all fixed.  Have a couple more screenies if you need more - but not sure what help they will be!

1 hour ago, Raz said:

Screen went black for the duration of the spell and a bit more.  With odd flashes of normal screen in the middle.

I'm by no means an expert (or even good) troubleshooter, but any chance this session/bug was immediately after 49 day bug occurring (which was sometime earlier today)?

2 hours ago, Raz said:

1 hour ago, Diealot said:

I'm by no means an expert (or even good) troubleshooter, but any chance this session/bug was immediately after 49 day bug occurring (which was sometime earlier today)?

I see the black screen during spells quite often. I agree Raz, having this happen during an invasion is quite scary.  I started experiencing it no later than March 2020 with the test client at the time so I don't think it has anything to do with the 49 day bug.

11 hours ago, violater said:

It would help to know which previous client you are using that does not have these issue.  Others have said about the tab-map, maintaining the aspect ratio is a recent change.  The flashing is not something I see on Linux or Windows.  The position is chosen by your window manager and is always centred on the screen for me on Windows.  Once dragged into place, you could try holding the shift key down when closing the window (using the close cross) a quick goggle suggests that works in some cases.  It does not remember the position when I use it though.

I have troubles with this since 1.9.5-p7 if i remember right (am using self compiled git version from time to time)

for me it started somewhere after i changed graphic card from an NVIDIA to an AMD one and i could put those black flashes to some special effects like lightening or some spells. (mainly lightening for me)

8 hours ago, vinoveritas said:

I have troubles with this since 1.9.5-p7 if i remember right (am using self compiled git version from time to time)

for me it started somewhere after i changed graphic card from an NVIDIA to an AMD one and i could put those black flashes to some special effects like lightening or some spells. (mainly lightening for me)

> P7 change log: Resolved issue restoring after minimised that caused fast animations for a while until the client caught up.

This change made the client re-create all the actors when restoring the window after being minimised.  If you want to do a test without that change, try commenting out line 56 of events.c to remove the call to update_all_actors().

3 hours ago, vinoveritas said:

I will do that, but my effect happens without client size change, just on the effects of weather lightening and some spells

> "....first is when i minimize and maximize the client i get a black screen for a flash...."

... is why I suggested it.  The change will have no impact unless you are restoring the window after minimizing, and only immediately after the restore.

On 2021-04-25 at 12:52 AM, Raz said:

2) Char shows bow equipped whilst sword equipped (many times)

Get attacked when ranging - and have arrow break - then swap to weapon (halbard)

Char shows bow equipped- but does damage from halb

Move char after fight fixes

Hi, I noticed today in instance that if I change capes while in the ranging stance it does not update the player model, verified on my instance friend's client as well. As in Raz's case, as soon as I exited the ranging stance by moving to another tile, the cape reappeared as it should.

Unfortunately I didn't get the first part of the process on the first gif, but here are the following shots of two incidents if they could perhaps help diagnose the issue:

First, I shot something while wearing no cape, but subsequent switching of capes did not show on the player model:

https://gyazo.com/19af88af4232ec8275fda3f459302a1c

Second, out of instance, the model apparently updated to show me taking off the first cape, but didn't show the swap to the second cape:

https://gyazo.com/2179aefa911f2eadc693d11494e09c4a

Thank you, and I hope this helps!

3 hours ago, warzard said:

Hi, I noticed today in instance that if I change capes while in the ranging stance it does not update the player model, verified on my instance friend's client as well. As in Raz's case, as soon as I exited the ranging stance by moving to another tile, the cape reappeared as it should.

Thanks but the diagnosis is that it looks like a server change would be best place to fix it as described here: https://github.com/raduprv/Eternal-Lands/issues/65. This has got nothing to do with this latest update.

I'm having an issue that's not really that big of a deal but I'm curious to discover what is causing it.

I've been logging on daily and all I've done is mix HEs.  I switch between my laptop and my pc and the issue I am having is with my PC client.  Normally when I log off and then log back on at a later time, the client remembers what I had last in the manufacture window and I can just continue mixing.  Now, every time I log onto my PC client (EternalLands-Installer-Win10-64_1.9.5p9) I have to add the items back into the manu window before I can continue mixing.

Any ideas on what might be causing this issue?

2 hours ago, PaulB said:

I'm having an issue that's not really that big of a deal but I'm curious to discover what is causing it.

I've been logging on daily and all I've done is mix HEs.  I switch between my laptop and my pc and the issue I am having is with my PC client.  Normally when I log off and then log back on at a later time, the client remembers what I had last in the manufacture window and I can just continue mixing.  Now, every time I log onto my PC client (EternalLands-Installer-Win10-64_1.9.5p9) I have to add the items back into the manu window before I can continue mixing.

Any ideas on what might be causing this issue?

I presume the recipe still does not show once you have the items in your inventory?

Are you using the option "Use New Format To Save User Files (.json)" located at the bottom of the Server tab?  If not, I suggest you enable that.  While the previous file formats tried to save/restore the current recipe, it was not reliable.  The old format user files are deprecated and will be disabled for the 1.9.6 release (though the client will still import them).  If you are already using the json files option, then we have a bug.

3 hours ago, bluap said:

I presume the recipe still does not show once you have the items in your inventory?

Are you using the option "Use New Format To Save User Files (.json)" located at the bottom of the Server tab?  If not, I suggest you enable that.  While the previous file formats tried to save/restore the current recipe, it was not reliable.  The old format user files are deprecated and will be disabled for the 1.9.6 release (though the client will still import them).  If you are already using the json files option, then we have a bug.

Thanks for the information bluap.  When I get my pc on later, I will load the game up and do as you said and see if that works.  I actually never remove the items from my inventory.  I fill my emu as if I was getting ready to start a batch and log off so when I log on I can just start mixing but I have to add the items to the manufacturing window each time I log.

I'll keep you posted.

3 hours ago, bluap said:

That option is enabled but this is still an issue. It's not that big of a deal so I'm not expecting any quick fix.  Let me know if/how I can help you discover the issue and I'll be glad to be of service.

1 hour ago, PaulB said:

That option is enabled but this is still an issue. It's not that big of a deal so I'm not expecting any quick fix.  Let me know if/how I can help you discover the issue and I'll be glad to be of service.

The recipe file is called recipes_<character name>.json and will be in the personal setting directory, as show in the console when you start the client.  Perhaps you could check if the file is saving the current recipe first.  For the json format files, the current recipe is tagged with "current": true.  You can open that file and find the entry with "current": true, the "name" field should match your expected recipe.   Alternatively, you can copy/paste or upload the file https://jsonformatter.org/ then search the text.

Actually, are you setting the manu window from a recipe?  If you fill the manu window slots manually, that is not saved in the recipe file.  I realise now, that that is different than before when using the old format files.

Edited by bluap

13 hours ago, bluap said:

The recipe file is called recipes_<character name>.json and will be in the personal setting directory, as show in the console when you start the client.  Perhaps you could check if the file is saving the current recipe first.  For the json format files, the current recipe is tagged with "current": true.  You can open that file and find the entry with "current": true, the "name" field should match your expected recipe.   Alternatively, you can copy/paste or upload the file https://jsonformatter.org/ then search the text.

Actually, are you setting the manu window from a recipe?  If you fill the manu window slots manually, that is not saved in the recipe file.  I realise now, that that is different than before when using the old format files.

I am not loading the supplies from a saved recipe.  Usually the client remembers the last thing I was mixing and I'm allowed to just click mix all when I log on.  Has that changed?  Do I have to save a recipe?

7 hours ago, PaulB said:

I am not loading the supplies from a saved recipe.  Usually the client remembers the last thing I was mixing and I'm allowed to just click mix all when I log on.  Has that changed?  Do I have to save a recipe?

As I said, the current method is unintentionally different.  I'll look at restoring the previous behaviour for the new implementation.  Thanks for reporting it.