Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

New client update available 1.9.5.p9

Version 1.9.5p9 of the EL client is ready for release.  This is a stable release and recommended for everyone. The full list of changes can be read on the release page.  The release brings lots of little new features, lots of bug fixes and lots of user interface updates - including a major change to use True Type fonts.  There are some minor data changes and a bug fix for the sound so ensure you update the data and sound too (these are includes in the Linux packages).  There are a set of fonts included in the data.  You can switch to these using the command "#set_default_fonts".  Also included are some default user menus.  If you do not want these, then disable them by un-checking the "Standard Menu" option on the right-click options.

Downloads:

Binary only downloads:

I ran the Linux general installer.  It worked without a problem. It even has sounds and music installed by default.

The new fonts really stand out especially the pre-installed: ubuntu and roboto. I do recommend the monospaced versions for text alignment especially for console messages from bots.

Thanks for putting this together bluap.

Thanks again for all your work, bluap. Haven't followed exactly what is going on in new builds for a while, but the Windows (64bit) installer worked wonderfully.

Eternal Lands Version 1.9.5p9 

\o/

Still going through everything, but I am very much loving the many new features available on Mac, even some I had forgotten were asked for!

Many, many thanks to Bluap, Ben, and all the other developers! 

I do have one small little question: is it at all possible to revert the change to make console text extend all the way to the bottom of the available space? My first thoughts are that it is somewhat distracting that the entire text shifts upwards when you start to type. I'm already getting more used to it, but just in case, I suppose.

Again, thank you and I am quite pleased with everything so far!

11 minutes ago, warzard said:

I do have one small little question: is it at all possible to revert the change to make console text extend all the way to the bottom of the available space? My first thoughts are that it is somewhat distracting that the entire text shifts upwards when you start to type. I'm already getting more used to it, but just in case, I suppose.

That sounds like you may have changed the "Maximum Number of Chat Lines" on the "Chat" tab of options.  The default value is 10.

Thanks the the feedback those that have testing things out so far.

I made a small change to the Linux general installer to better handle if you install as root.  No EL files were changed, just the install script so no need to re-download and re-install.

I think warzard means console mode, not "game view". In console mode, I have the

text extend to the bottom of the screen minus one line or so.

Iirc, the edit line used to be open all the time at a height of one text line. Since the ttf

fonts were introduced, it is collapsed to a few pixels when there's no text in it :

1.9.5p9_Console_no_edit.png.444fdc32b48af13ce944f29ecba1a434.png

and when you start typeing it expands to the line height needed, shifting the whole

history text up by about a line:

1.9.5p9_Console_edit.png.133b317efc2f5d0f5a4670c0454b517a.png

Something else I noticed: if a line is just reaching the end of the screen, I sometimes have a spurious empty line

(as if there are a few spaces that get wrapped to the next line).

The "Maximum Number of Chat Lines" concerns the "game view", I think?

All in all, a very nice update, with an enormous improvement in ttf rendering and nice extra options.

Thank you very much for all the (fast) work :)

Edited by revi

33 minutes ago, revi said:

I think warzard means console mode, not "game view". In console mode, I have the

text extend to the bottom of the screen minus one line or so.

Iirc, the edit line used to be open all the time at a height of one text line. Since the ttf

fonts were introduced, it is collapsed to a few pixels when there's no text in it :

1.9.5p9_Console_no_edit.png.444fdc32b48af13ce944f29ecba1a434.png

and when you start typeing it expands to the line height needed, shifting the whole

history text up by about a line:

1.9.5p9_Console_edit.png.133b317efc2f5d0f5a4670c0454b517a.png

You are right, Revi, the text input behaviour has changed a little since p8. :)

I highlighted this during testing, and it turns out it is an intentional change. The text input area can now expand multiple lines (useful for folks playing with a smaller window/larger font setting).

13 minutes ago, warzard said:

Thank you for clarifying!

OK, I understand now.  The console text should display down to the level of the bottom on the scroll bar.  You can see this clearly if you reduce the font size for chat.  The gap between the bottom of the scroll bar and the input is where the "^^ ^^ ^^" appear if you scroll the console text up.

Hi bluap,

I just installed the new Client for Win (64 Bit). Thanks for the great work. I love the new feature of TTF and input of console at top of window :-)

Appreciate ur work!

Sam

1 hour ago, Samsemilia said:

Hi bluap,

I just installed the new Client for Win (64 Bit). Thanks for the great work. I love the new feature of TTF and input of console at top of window :-)

Appreciate ur work!
Sam

Glad you like it the new version.  @grum implemented the bulk of the TTF changes, its been a fun team effort to get it bedded in including lots of people testing and providing feedback.

Edited by bluap

I just tested the Linux general installer and everything works OK here.

I agree with the comment regarding the mono spaced font for the console, maybe it would be worth it to separate the console font from the other ones to have the option to set mono spaced font only for the console?

8 hours ago, ladrilho said:

I just tested the Linux general installer and everything works OK here.

Good to here, thanks for trying the installer.

8 hours ago, ladrilho said:

I agree with the comment regarding the mono spaced font for the console, maybe it would be worth it to separate the console font from the other ones to have the option to set mono spaced font only for the console?

My be I misunderstand but there is a separate CHAT font already.

13 hours ago, bluap said:

Good to here, thanks for trying the installer.

My be I misunderstand but there is a separate CHAT font already.

Yes, my comment does not make much sense.

Initially I thought it would be a good idea to have the option of a different font for the console and for the in game chat.

But bot text would not be aligned in the in game chat text anyway, so that is not useful.

Another comment, let's hope this time it's more on point :)

In my Debian system the default TTF Directory /usr/share/fonts/TTF does not exist so I only get the fonts included in the client fonts/ directory in the font selection list.

Maybe we could add a visual indication that the folder does not exists, with a red * character/red text/red underline, and a tooltip to explain the issue.

That way the user would understand that he can get additional fonts from his system.

Re: Warzard or Revi or whoever it was.

The console chat issue pictured below:

5tMII2H.png

(yes I don't have the clients lined up perfectly, sorry)

In console mode, without anything typed into chat, I get the client on the left, but as soon as I type something in, I get the client on the right, all the text visible in console jumps up. After sending the message it jumps down (chat is cleared), then up (very quickly), as the message is sent to the server. This is distracting. I'm fairly sure the old client version I was running just had the bottom text bar always up one line. If you typed a long message and the chat bar expanded, you got a little bit of this behavior, but it wasn't every single message.

:omg: Erm, yes, that's exactly what I showed in my previous post, and which Ben confirmed in his reply.

As said there, this was an intentional change. And further discussion it was made clear that it will

not be reverted...

7 hours ago, revi said:

:omg: Erm, yes, that's exactly what I showed in my previous post, and which Ben confirmed in his reply.

As said there, this was an intentional change. And further discussion it was made clear that it will

not be reverted...

Its one of the things that splits opinion, it was not my change but I quite like it!  While its not going to be reverted in the strictest sense because its part of a larger change, it could be made not to shrink when the input is empty.

41 minutes ago, bluap said:

Its one of the things that splits opinion, it was not my change but I quite like it!  While its not going to be reverted in the strictest sense because its part of a larger change, it could be made not to shrink when the input is empty.

Not shrinking when empty would be nicer, I think:

Most posts don't take two input lines (depending on font choice/size and window size, of course), so leaving the input line high enough for one line of text would

eliminate the jumping up and down of the existing text.

I like the scroll indication, though :D

57 minutes ago, bluap said:

I'm not a fan of the jumping either.  If it needs to stay, I'd also rather it not shrink when empty.

I do like the Shrinking on the one side, as it makes all look more clean, but if i am not in the console mode, and want to copy paste something for local chat (most times a reminder for me of something. Somtimes pre prepared statements when i want to say something that is multi line and i want the guild to read all before commenting, it is not possible by selecting the input filed and then pressing middle mousebutton anymore, i would have to either go to console mode or to use strg-v. (all of which would be a good option) What i was wondering so if it would be possible that if you click with the mouse in the area where the console would be,  it would open the input line too .

9 hours ago, bluap said:

I would prefer it to not shrink when the input is empty.

Another thing found:

EbNoarb.png

Range window crit rate is not figureing correctly?

Apologies if revi has already noticed the change, posted about it, and made a non-reversible change that I am incorrectly pointing out again because I haven't read every single post on the forum.

Edited by Diealot

OK, even though I prefer the shrinking approach, the console input line is now always at least 1 line high, even if there is no text.  It looks so odd now.

1 hour ago, Diealot said:

Range window crit rate is not figureing correctly?

The calculation used for the print-to-console output is EXACTLY the same as use for the window.

range_critical_hits > 0 ? (float)range_critical_hits/range_success_hits*100 : 0.0f

I see in your screen-shot that the totals are different though I can't see how that would account for the difference.  Quick test showed no difference for me.

Edit: OK, found the ranging bug and committed a fix.  How it worked at all previously is a mystery.

Edited by bluap

1 hour ago, bluap said:

Edit: OK, found the ranging bug and committed a fix.  How it worked at all previously is a mystery.

How ranging works at all is a mystery. *nod*

Edit: Oh, I didn't notice that the total shots weren't the same. That could be on me being trigger happy, I might have taken another shot after printing to console (shooting PW in the face is so tempting).

As far as the jumpy/empty line of empty text goes. Is an option for 'blank input lines on console' in the chat options possible? Default it to 0 (or 1) allow up to 5 or something (I use quite large text and could nearly make 5 lines of text with the narrowest width client possible, was 3 characters short). Then it's adjustable to anyone's taste, client/text size, and screen resolution. 

Edited by Diealot

OK so yesterday I was in the invasion ranging / fighting.

Client did not crash - but did get some weird visual bugs,

This is over a 12 hour stint of heavy duty ranging = under pressure and constant melee attacks

(Not expecting any of these to be addressed - just FYI)

In the heat of the battle was not able to reliably create any.

1) Managed to get the walk to cursor not be where I was clicking: (3 x)

Seems to be something to do with ranging - and being attacked.

Range target form the north east - get attacked from south east

Click to flee 

Then when you click to walk - your walk crosshairs are 2 steps north of where you are.

rotate camera fixes

2) Char shows bow equipped whilst sword equipped (many times)

Get attacked when ranging - and have arrow break - then swap to weapon (halbard)

Char shows bow equipped- but does damage from halb

Move char after fight fixes

3) Archery trick shot (3 x)

Following on from 2) above - swap back to bow - shows bow in the relaxed position (ie vertical) even when you shoot!

Arrow still shoots - but from weird location - still hits as normal

Moving fixes the issue

4) Stuck char

Walked through a telepad at the time mob tried to attack me

(bug existed on old client)

You are under attack - yet nothing there and also unable to move.

Tele to range / portals fixes

(or someone kill the mob that was attacking you)

This one is scary if you don't know what it is or how to get out!

5) Stuck char

Again being around ranging and being attacked (once)

Think I swapped weapon a the wrong time.

Char was unable to move - unable to tele to range / portals.  Could not attack, could not be attacked by anything!!!!

Char seemed to have a nervous tick - ie was 'shaking' almost as if trying to change from one stance to another.

Relog fixed this

As I say not expecting any of these to be fixed - most are visual effects - and the others so rare unlikely ever to be found.

3 hours ago, Raz said:

4) Stuck char

Walked through a telepad at the time mob tried to attack me

(bug existed on old client)

You are under attack - yet nothing there and also unable to move.

Tele to range / portals fixes

(or someone kill the mob that was attacking you)

This one is scary if you don't know what it is or how to get out!

That one is a long known server issue Radu would need to fix.