Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

[Closed] New development version of the Android client

The latest build  1.9.5p9-dev-20211112.1843 since the 1.9.6RC:

• Fix resizing of the language select window.
  • Open android keyboard on logo touch even of hud is transparent.
  • Fix user menu selection on Android when opened over menu bar.
  • Fix calculation that limited width used for login screen rules window.
Edited by bluap

27 minutes ago, bluap said:

The help covers both console and non-console mode.

I'm a complete android/touch screen n00b. But I see no input field when I'm not in F1/console, and swiping left/right just moved my character around. 

As the help message says and as you said you're figured out. Touching the EL icon opens the on screen keyboard in console and non-console. Just like the desktop client, in non-console, you will see nothing until you start typing. As you said, the input field is at the top of the screen so visable for standard on-screen keyboards.

I'm so sorry but now I can't eat.  I was able to eat fine, I figured that out, but suddenly it won't work any more.  I touch the veggies and nothing happens other than the icons change to the fist icon being highlighted even though I didn't do that myself.  Changing the icon doesn't do anything and goes right back to the fist as soon as I touch the vegetables.

49 minutes ago, Aislinn said:

I'm so sorry but now I can't eat.  I was able to eat fine, I figured that out, but suddenly it won't work any more.  I touch the veggies and nothing happens other than the icons change to the fist icon being highlighted even though I didn't do that myself.  Changing the icon doesn't do anything and goes right back to the fist as soon as I touch the vegetables.

Have you set the controls option to use independent cursor?  I've not being using that on Android but the mode is set to what ever is active when you enable the option and from then on it cannot be changed using the icon window icons - by design as you know having request it.  Without the right-click to change cursor for the window, the option may not be as usable on Android as for on the desktop.

2 hours ago, bluap said:

Have you set the controls option to use independent cursor?  I've not being using that on Android but the mode is set to what ever is active when you enable the option and from then on it cannot be changed using the icon window icons - by design as you know having request it.  Without the right-click to change cursor for the window, the option may not be as usable on Android as for on the desktop.

Yes, that's the problem. Thank you!  Didn't even think of the lack of right-click issue.  Sorry for wasting your time. :blush:

6 hours ago, Aislinn said:

I can see how to get the keyboard when in F1/console. I figured that out, also figured out why the text line is at the top (moving it back to bottom hides the line when the keyboard is up.) I did see that help.  However that doesn't help with bringing up the keyboard when not in console, which is necessary at times.  The EL icon is fine, I've always used it for EL site/forums link, but that's not crucial I guess.

One way to bring up the keyboard in the main game window, if no input fields are readily available and you don't want to use the EL icon is as follows. Disable "Use Full Window Camera Controls" under Options->Controls. You can double click the camera bars to bring up the keyboard when you're not in console mode. If you don't see the camera bars after this - they may be hard to see - go to Options->HUD and click "Draw Camera Bars" to fill in the bars with color.

16 minutes ago, Nogrod said:

One way to bring up the keyboard in the main game window, if no input fields are readily available and you don't want to use the EL icon is as follows. Disable "Use Full Window Camera Controls" under Options->Controls. You can double click the camera bars to bring up the keyboard when you're not in console mode. If you don't see the camera bars after this - they may be hard to see - go to Options->HUD and click "Draw Camera Bars" to fill in the bars with color.

Really, that is not necessary.  Just click the EL icon, or if you have changed that to launch the EL website, long press near the top of the screen.

23 minutes ago, bluap said:

Really, that is not necessary.  Just click the EL icon, or if you have changed that to launch the EL website, long press near the top of the screen.

When I long-press the top of the screen I only get a menu with "Cut Copy Paste | Date Time Coords" but not a keyboard.

11 hours ago, Nogrod said:

When I long-press the top of the screen I only get a menu with "Cut Copy Paste | Date Time Coords" but not a keyboard.

The active region for long-press is 3x the input hight.  So long pressing above or below will toggle the keyboard.  The menu you're getting is for the input text box.  I've tried so many things to make it easy and obvious to activate the keyboard.  The EL icon is the simplest and cleanest solution IMHO and that's why I've made it the default.  Unfortunate, people clearly do not want to use that.

What if the input text box was always visible (like it is once there is some input) and you just touched that to open the keyboard?  It currently does not activate the keyboard when touched because that was too easily triggered by mistake.  If it was always visible, you could avoid it more easily.

1 hour ago, bluap said:

The active region for long-press is 3x the input hight.  So long pressing above or below will toggle the keyboard.  The menu you're getting is for the input text box.  I've tried so many things to make it easy and obvious to activate the keyboard.  The EL icon is the simplest and cleanest solution IMHO and that's why I've made it the default.  Unfortunate, people clearly do not want to use that.

What if the input text box was always visible (like it is once there is some input) and you just touched that to open the keyboard?  It currently does not activate the keyboard when touched because that was too easily triggered by mistake.  If it was always visible, you could avoid it more easily.

How about another icon for the keyboard somewhere else?  (Maybe make the EL icon a little smaller and put a keyboard one - that looks like a keyboard - below it?) I love the idea of an icon for toggling the keyboard but I always use the EL icon to get to EL forums, it's so clean and easy and quick.  Plus it is over a decade of habit :P  For anyone who is used to the pc client, it would never occur to us that the EL icon would be the keyboard.  But I could live without it, for sure. I would much rather the easy way to toggle the keyboard.

20 minutes ago, Aislinn said:

How about another icon for the keyboard somewhere else?  (Maybe make the EL icon a little smaller and put a keyboard one - that looks like a keyboard - below it?) I love the idea of an icon for toggling the keyboard but I always use the EL icon to get to EL forums, it's so clean and easy and quick.  Plus it is over a decade of habit :P  For anyone who is used to the pc client, it would never occur to us that the EL icon would be the keyboard.  But I could live without it, for sure. I would much rather the easy way to toggle the keyboard.

IIRC you use the "old behaviour" for chat.  I've found a bug that means you cannot activate the keyboard with the long press at the top using that chat mode. We have probably being talking back and forth at odds, sorry. :( I'll fix that bug.

A keyboard icon would need to be created; though not something that I could easily do.  We could have another icon at the bottom of the screen but there is already limited space there.  Horizontal space is limited too, and sharing the space with the logo would be a bit cramped I think.

How about a button to toggle the keyboard that sits to the left of where the input text area is.  Initially this could be labelled "keyboard" or "KBD".  If someone wants to create an icon, great. I may try drawing something using line graphics.  When the button is pressed it toggles the on-screen keyboard, enabling the boundary too when opening the keyboard.  I'll remove the long-press and EL logo activations.

Last resort: On Android it might be better to just remove text entry from the main game window, its often obscured by the keyboard anyway - just use the console window.  That already has an obvious text entry area and touching that area opens the keyboard.  The swipe left and right are easy to remember once discovered.

Yes, I use old behavior.  That explains that, as I get the same result Nogrod does when trying to do long press at the top.

A button to toggle the keyboard that sits to the left of where the input text area is sounds great.  I was thinking as well that space along the HUD bottom and sides is already cramped.  I don't know if removing the long press and EL logo activation would be a good idea, as others might use them!  As far as I can tell, a lot of people use this client, just they don't post much, if at all.  The option is good!  And please don't remove the ability to enter text from main screen, that's necessary for things like fighting (can't go into console to type if you are fighting or you'll die).

"...easy to remember once discovered."

That's the biggest problem. There is no list in one place of how to do things, just scattered posts in various threads.  I guess with so many updates and ideas/suggestions, things are changing too often to do that, but it would be nice at some point.

You've done a wonderful job on this.  Nothing I've said is ever meant as a complaint; just me trying to understand it and explain why I don't, to help anyone else who comes along who is not used to android as well.

Thank you so much for your time and efforts and patience.  :)

The latest build  1.9.5p9-dev-20211114.1509:

• Added "Keyboard" button to the left of the input field that toggles the on-screen keyboard.
  • Removed the inconsistent long-press-near-top keyboard activation but retained option to use EL logo.
  • Removed the console help that was not helping - the button should be discoverable.
Edited by bluap

24 minutes ago, bluap said:

• Added "Keyboard" button to the left of the input field that toggles the on-screen keyboard.
  • Removed the inconsistent long-press-near-top keyboard activation but retained option to use EL logo.
  • Removed the console help that was not helping - the button should be discoverable.

This is great! It's easy to use and intuitive and solves whatever problem I was having with long-press keyboard.

4 hours ago, Nogrod said:

This is great! It's easy to use and intuitive and solves whatever problem I was having with long-press keyboard.

That's good to hear!

Hopefully one last build before the release. The latest build  1.9.5p9-dev-20211114.2017:

• Fix new character hud not resizing sometimes.
  • Automatically down-scale the new character hud if space is limited.

3 hours ago, bluap said:

That's good to hear!

Hopefully one last build before the release. The latest build  1.9.5p9-dev-20211114.2017:

• Fix new character hud not resizing sometimes.
  • Automatically down-scale the new character hud if space is limited.

Thanks for the update bluap.

Just a couple issues none of which I would consider show stoppers as they have workarounds.

Before reproducing each issue, I'm exiting the client with #exit. Then I'm force stopping the app and clearing out cache and deleting the app data and also Android\com.el.elc\ user files so that I'm starting from a clean install.

When trying to change the scaling values in the Options->Fonts tab by sliding up and down on the arrows, the shown value numbers do change but the scaling does not take effect.  If I restart the client, the old values are still there.  There is one exception.  The first time I launch the client and I change the scale, it won't take effect immediately but it will be in effect on the next client launch but I can't effect the scale changes anymore by sliding the arrows.  My workaround is to avoid sliding on the arrows and instead tap the scale value and change it through the keyboard. Changing the value through the keyboard has immediate effect and is saved.

The default font for the Encyclopedia, Ubuntu Mono Regular, is missing from the Encyclopedia font list and there is no font selected. I don't know what it's defaulting to but I can select any other font in the list.

6 hours ago, Nogrod said:

When trying to change the scaling values in the Options->Fonts tab by sliding up and down on the arrows, the shown value numbers do change but the scaling does not take effect.  If I restart the client, the old values are still there.  There is one exception.  The first time I launch the client and I change the scale, it won't take effect immediately but it will be in effect on the next client launch but I can't effect the scale changes anymore by sliding the arrows.  My workaround is to avoid sliding on the arrows and instead tap the scale value and change it through the keyboard. Changing the value through the keyboard has immediate effect and is saved.

Wow, I didn't even know sliding the values had an effect on Android but its just a scroll bar after all.  I'll need to check but its probably a simple fix.

6 hours ago, Nogrod said:

The default font for the Encyclopedia, Ubuntu Mono Regular, is missing from the Encyclopedia font list and there is no font selected. I don't know what it's defaulting to but I can select any other font in the list.

So it is, I hadn't noticed.  I'll check the old and new data packs as it should be present.

Thanks for continuing to test.  BTW, I've not yet found anything conclusive about the crash you reported but the log is useful.  I assume you continue to get the issue, if there's anything you can add to the circumstances of the crash, please do.

23 hours ago, bluap said:

Love it!  It works perfectly and is very obvious.  Thank you so much.

16 hours ago, bluap said:

Thanks for continuing to test.  BTW, I've not yet found anything conclusive about the crash you reported but the log is useful.  I assume you continue to get the issue, if there's anything you can add to the circumstances of the crash, please do.

Just today I noticed that further up in my logcat there is the following error. Sorry for not reporting this before but logcat spits out a lot of messages and I was trying to focus on the time of the crash.

11-15 14:38:19.222  9383  9409 E Adreno-UNKNOWN: <glTexParameteriv:151>: GL_INVALID_ENUM

I see no other errors prior to the crash aside from some errors about being not unable to load some user JSON files which is something I've seen before in the PC client and causes no problems.

I've been comparing the type of mob that the crashes happen on.

Mobs that have not caused a crash after several kills include green snake, fox, imp, rabbit, brownie,  beaver.

Mobs that will likely cause a crash include brown snake, armed orcs, hawk, falcon, deer, wolf, brown bear, male goblin, troll, large spider.

Some mobs have about and equal chance of causing a crash including small spiders and red snakes.

The crash can happen during the fight, not just after the mob is killed.

One more thing: I finally got a build system set up and am able to build and install the Android client on my phone so if there is anything you want me to try in the code, I can test that now.  Thanks so much for the clear build instructions! It was much easier than I thought and it totally cuts out Android Studio.  The only step that I tripped on was trying to get the apk from the build environment onto my phone.  My phone is not recognized through adb in multipass so I'm doing a "multipass transfer" to get the apk out of the build environment so that I can "adb install" it on my phone.

Edited by Nogrod

On 15/11/2021 at 1:29 AM, Nogrod said:

Turns out this one is more serious, the font is there an being used, its just not being displayed by the multi-select widget.  Turns out all such widgets are missing the last value.  This is an existing bug in how the scrollbar increment is calculated, its just showing up because of the increased button separation on Android.  I have a fix but will have to finish the work tomorrow.

Just today I noticed that further up in my logcat there is the following error. Sorry for not reporting this before but logcat spits out a lot of messages and I was trying to focus on the time of the crash.

Another clue is always helpful, thanks.  Glad you got the build environment working.

11 hours ago, Aislinn said:

Love it!  It works perfectly and is very obvious.  Thank you so much.

Good news :)

On 11/11/2021 at 3:01 PM, Nogrod said:

11-10 12:00:54.298  7593  7617 W Adreno-GSL: <gsl_ldd_control:549>: ioctl fd 40 code 0xc040094a (IOCTL_KGSL_GPU_COMMAND) failed: errno 35 Resource deadlock would occur
11-10 12:00:54.298  7593  7617 W Adreno-GSL: <log_gpu_snapshot:458>: panel.gpuSnapshotPath is not set.not generating user snapshot
11-10 12:00:54.299  7593  7617 W Adreno-GSL: <gsl_ldd_control:549>: ioctl fd 40 code 0xc040094a (IOCTL_KGSL_GPU_COMMAND) failed: errno 35 Resource deadlock would occur
11-10 12:00:54.299  7593  7617 W Adreno-GSL: <log_gpu_snapshot:458>: panel.gpuSnapshotPath is not set.not generating user snapshot
11-10 12:00:54.386   925  2424 I ActivityManager: Process com.el.elc (pid 7593) has died: fore TOP 

Some googling suggests this might be caused by the OpenGL command queue filling up. Which is surprising, because I didn't think EL was that heavy, and we use double buffering which should flush the queue on every swap, if I'm not mistaken. So the queue filling up would have to happen within a single frame. Strange, but perhaps consistent with your observation that it happens more easily on larger maps.

Just for testing, could you add a call to

glFinish();

at the top of function draw_scene() in draw_scene.c (line 117 or so) and see if that makes a difference? It shouldn't, but in the unlikely case it does help, we can hopefully drill down further to find the root cause.

12 hours ago, Nogrod said:

11-15 14:38:19.222  9383  9409 E Adreno-UNKNOWN: <glTexParameteriv:151>: GL_INVALID_ENUM

I'm assuming that's somewhere in the OpenGL->GL ES translation layer, since we don't call glTexParameteriv directly in the client code.I don;t think it would cause a crash directly, but it's worth investigating.

4 hours ago, Grum said:

Just for testing, could you add a call to

glFinish();

at the top of function draw_scene() in draw_scene.c (line 117 or so) and see if that makes a difference? It shouldn't, but in the unlikely case it does help, we can hopefully drill down further to find the root cause.

This did not help with the crashes.  I agree, EL isn't that heavy so I don't think the queue would be filling up.  I only get this crash on this version of the Android client. On the old Android client v1.1.2 I never saw the crash issue.

The mob that I fight is what crashes the client, not the map I'm on as I first thought.  It just happened that when I went to small maps, I was only fighting the mobs that don't cause a crash but after more extensive testing, I found that there are other mobs on the some small maps that always cause a crash.

31 minutes ago, Entropy said:

Could it be because of the Cal3d library version the client is built with?

The Cal3d library used is the same as the desktop client.

9 hours ago, Nogrod said:

This did not help with the crashes.  I agree, EL isn't that heavy so I don't think the queue would be filling up.  I only get this crash on this version of the Android client. On the old Android client v1.1.2 I never saw the crash issue.

The mob that I fight is what crashes the client, not the map I'm on as I first thought.  It just happened that when I went to small maps, I was only fighting the mobs that don't cause a crash but after more extensive testing, I found that there are other mobs on the some small maps that always cause a crash.

For some reason, I thought you'd said the v1.1.2 client crashed in the same way, perhaps that was someone else.

The gl4es version I build against is slightly newer than used for v1.1.2, but not the latest.  I've been unable to build a working client against the latest gl4es.  We could try build against the same gl4es version as 1.1.2.  I'll try that later....

The latest build  1.9.5p9-dev-20211116.2246:

• Fixes not displaying the last line for multi-select options.

The issue with scrolling the spin-buttons is gong to be a bigger change.  Until then you can just touch the up/down arrows or enter values directly