Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

[Closed] New development version of the Android client

Hey bluap,

I downloaded the client as of Monday (Feb 15). And a few comments. Running it on an LG V35 with Android 9 (if you need/want more info, please just ask).Overall it runs pretty great, and seems to be a fairly large improvement over the previous one. Apologies, but I have not read all the posts in this thread.

• I found getting keyboard open to be very difficult without using chat box or bringing back the blue spin-bars.
  • I was able to get some long-press/right-click options to work, but again, I found it quite difficult to get most of these boxes to appear.
  • Fighting was fine, no crashes (at least on rats with melee). Was using a... limited character, so didn't really delve into stuff too deeply.
  • I couldn't get the backspace button to work when chatting... \o/ typos

Some suggestions I have that may or may not be feasible:

• Make the EL icon at top right 'multifunctional'
    • 'Programmable' single tap function (changeable in options?)
      • Things like, get all, mix all, maybe open minimap, some of the things you have on the quick-misc-commands (beam, sto, etc), etc.
    • Double tap to bring up keyboard (instead of blue spin bars or chat box or wherever you're supposed to push with tabbed chat)
    • Tap a window, then Long-tap the icon to bring up right click options for that window. Buttons within the window (mix-all, get all, etc) would still have to be right-clicked individually, but those are slightly bigger and easier to successfully longtap
  • Customizable bottom ribbon of buttons. Let us remove/add stuff (emotes, notepad, buddies, and some others are useless to a lot of people)
  • Perhaps a customized keyboard? With common 'EL-quirk' chat features quickly accessible (@, //, #gm being the main ones.)
    • Or have a selector that just adds @ or #gm (// might be hard?) to the beginning of every chat line?

If I play some more on it, I'll probably have other complaints/ideas. But, overall this is a pretty great asset for EL, thanks for your hard work.

@Diealot thanks for the feedback.  The first post has information about opening chat etc.  It does need to be more obvious and consistent though.  If the Long touch is not working reliably, you can lower the time needed using the option on the Controls tab.  There is a bit of tolerance, but if your finger moves when long pressing, it will not work.  Perhaps that needs some adjustment.  Is it the on-screen keyboard that backspace is not working for?  I've not seen a problem like that.  Its is a standard keyboard?  Which language?  Thanks for the suggestions, I think there's a lot we could do to improve the UI.  I was considering making the window title bars a bit ticker which could help with some of you issues.

Hey bluap,

Slightly thicker title bars might help, but again... screen space is a big issue.

For reference, here's a screenshot with keyboard and chat box open:

y2NJ9XT.jpg

And on the point of keyboards. I checked and looks like at one point I did actually install a non-standard keyboard, so it could be that. The keyboard I am using is Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard (I forget why/when I downloaded this... lol) in English.

(edited screenshot)

Edited by Diealot

1 hour ago, Diealot said:

And on the point of keyboards. I checked and looks like at one point I did actually install a non-standard keyboard, so it could be that. The keyboard I am using is Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard (I forget why/when I downloaded this... lol) in English.

If I build a version where you can enable some debug, perhaps we can see why BS does not work.  I see what I'll can do....

Edited by bluap

If it helps...

I was getting feedback that I was indeed tapping the backspace button (tiny vibrates, and visible button 'clicking'). If I pushed and held the button it tries to backspace a lot (similar to push and hold button on physical keyboard), and very rarely would actually do it too, just not worth the hassle.

Updated the build to include a keyboard debug #command "#kbd".  This toggles (on/off) console debug that shows the key codes etc for key presses.

For backspace on my devices I get something like this:

SDL_KEYDOWN keycode=8,[Backspace] mod=0 timestamp=3413592

Also a couple of minor changes:

• In tabbed chat, if you tap at the top of the screen or on the input widget, the on-screen keyboard is now opened.  It still opens if you touch near the top with a long press.  I'm still looking for better ways to do this.
  • If the options window would be too high for the screen height, it is now made shorter.

Version 1.9.5-20210223.2156

Edited by bluap

Hi Bluap. Installed latest Client on my Tablet and still crashing during combat. Every time im fighting Mobs, it crashes. Dunno where i can find logs? Which might help you.

I can tell it happens in every fight. When i launch Client and log in, I see some strenge pixels already as well.

Sam

20 hours ago, Samsemilia said:

Hi Bluap. Installed latest Client on my Tablet and still crashing during combat. Every time im fighting Mobs, it crashes. Dunno where i can find logs? Which might help you.

I can tell it happens in every fight. When i launch Client and log in, I see some strenge pixels already as well.

Sam

Thanks for the feedback.  This client seems stable on the four different devices I've tried it on.  But, there's still more to do updating the OpenGL library that the Android client is using.  However, I get crashes on start-up and other artefacts when I try that so it's still a work in progress.

Ok, so let's try to see why it crashes for some people when they fight.

Can you all who are having this problem post the device you have, and Android version?

I have still not tracked down anything to help with the crashing issue.  For those experiences crashes, you could try switching off "use_compiled_vertex_array" as apparently that can cause issues on other platforms even if it is supported.

There's a app called "OpenGL ES Extensions" by "Realtech VR" that gives you information about your devices GL support.  This could help us identify the differences.  The app contains ads and I cannot vouch for its its safety.  It does only require limited privileges though.

My main device that appears to work fine has a "PowerVR GX6250" graphics card, I'll try to extract more information.

Anyway, I have a new build with the latest changes available at the normal link.

Version el-1.9.5-20210223.2156

Loving this Bluap - like others struggling with getting the keyboard up, and ofc typing on it is hell (but that's Android!!!)

So to get round this - I have connected an external bluetooth keyboard to the tablet - and boy is that a game changer!

Item use works via the hotkeys (CTRL+1) - but spells via ALT does not work.

(I saw the post and enabled the #KBD command)

I have attached a screen shot of me pressing ctrl+1 then ALT+1 - as you see - the key seems missing.

ie no KEYDOWN of key 49.

Am I doing something wrong, or trying to achieve too much?

Is there a keyboard.ini mapping file I can use to change?

p.s. for anyone thinking of giving the android a try - it's a pretty robust product - I am happy doing my dailies on it - and relatively easy fights - give it a bash guys.

Screenshot_20210420-143817_Eternal Lands.jpg

External keyboard as mentioned needs to be connected before you open the client, or the client will crash.

This is not so much of an issue - as you can predict it.   However, the client also crashes when the keyboard connection times out - this being unpredictable is much more of an issue.

Interestingly external mouse works fine - ie does not crash on connect / disconnect.

Edited by Raz

I see the issue with ALT also, I have not found a solution but you can use a key.ini if your android version exposes the user files.  I also see the client exit when you add or remove a keyboard.  Its not a crash but a controlled exit forced by the system due to a "configuration change".  I've not worked out how to do something less severe as yet.

11 hours ago, bluap said:

I see the issue with ALT also, I have not found a solution but you can use a key.ini if your android version exposes the user files.  I also see the client exit when you add or remove a keyboard.  Its not a crash but a controlled exit forced by the system due to a "configuration change".  I've not worked out how to do something less severe as yet.

Cheers as ever Bluap...

I can see some files from EL - but have 'lost' lost them again.... let me have a try.

As for the keyboard :

I am no developer - but did find 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28176605/delphi-android-app-crash-on-keyboard-connect-disconnect

You need to add keyboard into the Android Manifest template AndroidManifest.template.xml to avoid app termination when connecting/disconnecting an external USB keyboard.

I checked the source and keyboard is missing... worth a try?

Edited by Raz

2 hours ago, Raz said:

I am no developer - but did find 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28176605/delphi-android-app-crash-on-keyboard-connect-disconnect

You need to add keyboard into the Android Manifest template AndroidManifest.template.xml to avoid app termination when connecting/disconnecting an external USB keyboard.

I checked the source and keyboard is missing... worth a try?

Great stuff, that works.  Thanks for finding the information.  I'm in the process of updating the build so I'll include that change.

Hallo all, what a great work with very nice features! 

I played the official client without problems

but with the develop version i have much problems to click on buttons and items.

Edited by Cordor

On 11/05/2021 at 6:54 PM, Cordor said:

Hallo all, what a great work with very nice features! 

I played the official client without problems

but with the develop version i have much problems to click on buttons and items.

Is that because the button and items are too small or because action is not responsive?

i think bluap just wanted to know what your problem is with the buttons etc, since how else could he know what exactly is your problem, try to reproduce it, or suggest fixes for you, or if it is a bug fix it for the client.

My problem with development client is, that when i use the new mouse pointer, i sometimes select the wrong inventory slot, or like in the sewer cannot walk anymore on a narrow path, as the clicks go one step off to where i thought it should go

managed to undo my rdholam a few times in an instance because of that which  annoyed me because of all the mana lost :)

No Problems so with the old mouspointer that i use now again

Edited by vinoveritas

On 13/05/2021 at 11:52 AM, Cordor said:

Sorry the buttons and items are bad in responsive

OK. Is that because they are too small on your display and so take time to touch in the right place, or is it because they take multiple tries to function?

On 21/05/2021 at 5:49 AM, Cordor said:

I took multiple tries until it functioned.

'Use Animation Program' fails also.

I'll take a look at some of the thresholds I have for detecting presses.

The animation program is not enabled because support for that is not available using the openGL library on android. I should really remove the option.