Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

How to fix the broken EL Wiki forum

It does not appear we'll get a fix on the server side of EL-Wiki or the forum for it. The "joy" of the person in control of it not actually being a player or caring about it. Ermabwed has tried to get the person to fix what he broke, but in vain obviously.

The wiki itself is still kinda-accessible, but the style is broken. That doesn't seem to be fixable.

However, with a little script, you can fix the wiki forum ( https://smf.el-wiki.net ) so that it is fully styled and functional. And yes, you can log in.

To do so, you'll need to install an extension on your browser called Tampermonkey (Greasemonkey should also work). And add a script to it.

Tampermonkey is available for multiple browsers including Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari, Opera... https://www.tampermonkey.net/

Create a new script in Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey and copy/paste the script in the text in this txt file. More details on how to do it are in the linked file.

https://el-db.com/tempstuff/howtofixelwiki.txt

Yes, it works. Styled and logged in. See? ;)

forum.jpg

Edited by Burn
Changed URLs to new domain

Burn, I cannot thank you enough for this.  I am a total compuidiot when it comes to dealing with/understanding computers.  However, I try not to let them scare me and with your instructions above I was able to fix the wiki!

Thank you for this and all the wonderful work you did/do on the maps and the game :)

momr58

Yep thanks to maxine it worked for me too.

Can't we fix the wiki site so it works properly without this tho?

I'd like to point out that this is what the "Eternal Lands Wiki" main page looks for me. I have no solutions. Just showing a problem while we are on this topic.

9cc6a394b35f0ebe044513705cdb2a32.png

As posted by burn, this problem cannot be solved on the server side, due to lack of support. The workaround that burn posted is the only fix we have (for the wiki forum). The issue with the wiki itself is over a year old and nothing we can do about it. We (burn and me as site admin, via ermabwed as site owner) have reported it to the server admin (not an EL player), but he has chosen to ignore us

Since we do not have server access, a database download is not possible. However, thanks to a herculean effort by VinoVeritas, we might soon have a functioning mirror of the wiki. This will NOT include the usernames and passwords, since we don't have access to that, just the wiki pages themselves. 

Just a quick comment: Even though the forum now looks ok and allows you to log in, it doesn't allow you to make new accounts. I am the only remaining admin and do not have the ability to approve new accounts anymore. It simply doesn't work, in spite of the message you get when registering.