Eternal Lands Official Forums
Kaddy

Being able to see Ethereal Points of other people in Invances/Instances

Hello lovely EL community,

I have searched about this but could not find any suggestion... if I am wrong please forgive me and delete this thread.

As for invances and instances, communication amongst the team is crucial. I'm not sure client or server handles this but, being able to seeing your teammates' mana would be amazing. That means you can see someone getting low mana and you can back up/heal/help etc. I know this means less bricks but I believe it would contribute more team-oriented activities.

Why not invasions? Because I don't think it's possible. Invances and instances have different coding already. I thought it would be a good start to have them first.

What do you think about it?

-Kaddy

It's just the opposite: it would be harder to differentiate between invances/instances and other situations.

Instance mode on the client is pure client side coding, and basically hides part of the normal info.

As far as the client is concerned, the server always sends the same information about players or creatures.

Extra stats for your own character are sent as a specific message. Currently, the client displays all information it gets from the server,

unless you tell it not to (e.g. through using instance mode).

So sending mana info only for instances/invances would be more complicated than sending it always. It would also increase the server traffic (a bit),

as a message would have to be sent on every change for every player in sight (like it's done now for HP)

As what I stated in my previous post isn't an opinion, but a description of the facts,

agreeing or disagreeing won't change a thing...

besides unlike with hp, i do not want others to know what my mana is. as for the teammates watching out for each other, that's why i try to get people to use discord in instances

Otherwise just heal someone remotely if you think they are not paying attention.

Sorry I hijacked your suggestion Kaddy. Thanks for splitting bluap.

This is a good idea, regardless of whether or not a party system gets implemented.

My only question would be, what about PK situations? Since PK these days (at least between relatively evenly matched opponents) is largely who runs out of mana first or who drops MI first (probably cause they ran out of mana), seeing your opponent's mana would give you more information than you currently have. Does enabling that information make PK any better or worse, I have no idea.

I had tried to show radu this thread (prior to it being split) and he told me he didn't like the idea.  Unfortunately, I have no idea which he was referring to; kaddy's suggestion, the party system, or both.  I'll try to nail that down further when I can catch him online/active again.

5 hours ago, Aislinn said:

I had tried to show radu this thread (prior to it being split) and he told me he didn't like the idea.  Unfortunately, I have no idea which he was referring to; kaddy's suggestion, the party system, or both.  I'll try to nail that down further when I can catch him online/active again.

Well I'm down to burying my suggestion if diealot's going to be done. :P

I've just done a very simple experiment on the test server.  Simply, automatically writing a message to a chat channel when the characters mana changes.  This is only two lines of code but is potentially a way to make this work without any server changes.  This obviously uses one of the limited chat channels, but you could also use the channel for chat in the normal way.  This could be built on, to show a mana bar for other characters that share their data in the channel for example, or a new window displaying the data.  Probably we would want to obscure the data in some way, exchanging a pin/key via PM perhaps; but the cypher module used by the password manager could do the masking easily.  We would need a way to select which channel, set the pin, shop sharing etc, oh and Radu's backing.