Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maxine

Client not working with Catalina (MacOS 10.15)

Hello Maxine,

As of macOS 10.15 (Catalina) Apple has ended support for 32-bit apps, which is why the game has stopped working for you.

The good news is that this is an issue we saw coming, and for the last few weeks I have been successfully testing a working 64-bit build of the macOS client.

I am currently on the move, but I’d be happy to share the current test client with you when I am next available. :)

Great news, and thanks for the explanation. This wasnt the only legacy software that stopped working, so I am currently back on Win or LNX, where stuff still works, but in due time I will get the new client.

Thanks.

Hello pk_hitman,

It won't be long now that 1.9.5p4 has been released for Windows and Linux users.

There have been a few issues with code signing (this is now required by Apple for an app to run cleanly without user intervention) as I do not have a developer account, but I'll be looking to get this resolved in the coming week.

Guest IngalfTass

Checking in on this as well... I have held off updating my Mac desktop so EL will run... but my MacBook is no longer compatible.

Am wondering if the game cannot set up a mac version that is 64 bit, even if it means the user need to do something to have it run.

And to explain the steps needed for running it. As i am betting there are a  lot of players with mac out there who would want to have the new IOS (as it anoyes with install requests)

On 10/16/2019 at 5:32 PM, Ben said:

The good news is that this is an issue we saw coming, and for the last few weeks I have been successfully testing a working 64-bit build of the macOS client.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:37 AM, Ben said:

There have been a few issues with code signing (this is now required by Apple for an app to run cleanly without user intervention) as I do not have a developer account, but I'll be looking to get this resolved in the coming week.

So the 64-bit isn't the problem...

And wrt explaining the steps to install an unsigned app:

We still get questions about installing the sound files, so reading instructions still seems hard.

And afaik there's currently exactly one moderator using MacOS, if he isn't active, answering questions is going to be difficult.

Guest Pioneer

I've dabbled in iOS development before, and I believe I can speak to the issue at hand here. To resolve the problem with code signing, the app must be signed with by someone with an Apple developer account. Unfortunately, these developer accounts cost $99 per year. So unless someone already has one, or is willing to fork out $99, Catalina might be the end of Mac support. 

Had just now a former player who wanted to come back to game with apple laptop, whom i told to install virtual box and then the game

as otherwise it was not possible for him. Its important for quite a few player that there is a way to install it. even if its an Inofficial way where mac will complain. would it be possible to make any kind of package of the game?

Just add that for the installing you need to override security setting for the program like explained here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

Edited by vinoveritas

Guest Pioneer

Ben appears to be the only one with a working 64-bit version of the Mac client. If his project was open source, it should be possible to repackage the client as a script launcher or something.

You could of course try to contact Ben directly to see if he can/will share his build.

Given the license for the client, his project must be open source (or it gets complicated).

But all that means is that if he distributes a binary, he has to offer the source code;

it does not mean he has to share his version.

I talked with ben and he said he will provide a build, but due to sdl2 requirement now, and no developer signing, you will have to make sure to tell OSX you really want to install it, and you need to manual copy the servers.lst into the config folder of OSX

Well i did a few tries to cross compile a version, and i will in the next few days try out a few other tricks in my head, to get a working compiled version even if its an unofficial  unsigned one, where you need to put some work on it to get it run, done.

On 20-10-2019 at 1:26 PM, Mirt said:

waiting  than to update to Catalina, did read also more programs had issues, when finished testing let us know 

Catalina kept asking, for install me, so about 3 weeks ago i updated, the system itselfs works better now, but since than no EL for me anymore, wel its time to let rl things go first haha, have . fun all

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this