Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

New Windows Client Build Process

I've been working on a new way to build the windows client which is now ready to test.  I'm using a tool-chain called MSYS2/MINGW which allows use of the latest compiler and up to date libraries on Windows 10.  This all means that the resulting executable should run better on Windows 10.  I have also automated the build process and so can provide more regular test clients for Windows like I already do for Linux.  The previous builds I have provided were built using a very old tool-chain on Windows XP; which was not good.

Please give this new build a try and please give me some feedback.  But, BACKUP your current el.exe and all the .dll files before installing the new package as these files will be over-written by the package.  Also as always, ensure your important game files like your quest log etc are backed up; good practice even if you do not try this new client.  The packages only contains the el.exe and the required .dll files, the game data is not included.

There is a  32-bit package and a 64-bit package for Windows 10, extract the zip archive for your version of Windows into the game data directory where the existing el.exe and .dll file (which you have backed up) were located.

5 hours ago, Learner said:

Will it still run on Win7?

I do not have a way to test but it could, there's nothing specific to Windows 10 in the build.  Windows 7 reaches final end of life in January 2020 so I guess people need to consider moving on to Windows 10, or better still Linux! If someone could try it, we will know.  If I can find a Windows 7 evaluation ISO I could give it a try or get the build working on that too.

@dragon_killer Thanks for testing.  In-game we talked about the camera issues you were having but that looked to be unrelated to this particular build as they are  also present in the XP build too.  If you can confirm the original 195 release does not show the problem then we can investigate further but it does sound like a graphic card driver issue. Has anything else relevant changed on your machine recently?

@w0lumatic Good news, thanks for testing.  Turns out you can no-longer get evaluation versions of anything other than Windows 10 so its good to know its working.