Eternal Lands Official Forums
vinoveritas

No Sound Alert on Death

I have realized that i do not get sound alerts on death even as i have set up a sound alert on my name that works for years.

Messages like [07:11:05] VinoVeritas has gone by way of the Dodo bird.

Do not trigger the alert. It works fine if anyone mention my name in chat.

Same with: You have died and gone to the Underworld!

It works as it should if someone pm's me the text or write it in local

but not on death.

On Trying out multiple #suicides  i get in a few (like 1in 10) times a sound on the name VinoVeritas other times its quiet.

Edited by vinoveritas

Nothing has really change related to this recently.  In fact, as the sound are added and play related to the characters position, is difficult to see how it worked before.  If you are already in the underworld and die again, the sound plays if your location does not change.  I wonder if the timing of the messages have changed at some stage.  If they were sent after you arrived in the underworld the code would work reliably perhaps.  If the messages are sent before you move, then its not going to be reliable. There's also a element to timing.  The sounds are paused if out of range by a function that is called on a timer, so on a slow machine the sound might play before you move location.  I'll keep looking into it, but the sound code is something I have limited experience with.  It would be better if these sounds were not related to position.

Edited by bluap

Not sure if it is related, but I've noticed something similar with teleports on harvesting:

I added a sound alert on "you stop harvesting"; on a teleport event,

the sound starts, and then gets cut short by the actual teleport

2 minutes ago, revi said:

Not sure if it is related, but I've noticed something similar with teleports on harvesting:

I added a sound alert on "you stop harvesting"; on a teleport event,

the sound starts, and then gets cut short by the actual teleport

Yes, that would be related.

6 hours ago, bluap said:

Yes, that would be related.

Have you looked to see if it maybe messages from the server itself are handled differently from chat messages? Maybe some messages are just bypassing the logic used to trigger sounds? Yes, another likely aspect is the order of the packets vs the tport to the UW.

20 hours ago, Learner said:

Have you looked to see if it maybe messages from the server itself are handled differently from chat messages? Maybe some messages are just bypassing the logic used to trigger sounds? Yes, another likely aspect is the order of the packets vs the tport to the UW.

Yes I did checked that and the message are being interpreted correctly.  It's a bug in the sound code and I've just about found it....

For those where this is a problem, which sound name are you using?

Edited by bluap

2 hours ago, Ozmondius said:

I'm using what I seem to remember is a custom sound, warrning.ogg.  Please see attached.

warning.ogg

I can't access that file.

This issue appears to be a problem with sounds that are set up to be positional. Unfortunately, that is the default and even if you change a sound to not be positional, only some files appear to work when you do.  I can't yet track down these issues but a work around is to change the snds_client.xml.  This new snds_client.xml makes the four alert sounds non-positional, the forth is changed to a sound file that works.  I've also added a couple of extra sounds using the male and female death sound files.

With the new config file, you can add the line below to your sound_warnings.txt for a reliable death sound.

death male = You have died and gone to the Underworld!

I'll carry on looking at the sound code to see if I can fix the issues.

I can't access either of your files.

Is there a limit to how many alert sounds we can have?

1 hour ago, bluap said:

I can't access that file.

This issue appears to be a problem with sounds that are set up to be positional. Unfortunately, that is the default and even if you change a sound to not be positional, only some files appear to work when you do.  I can't yet track down these issues but a work around is to change the snds_client.xml.  This new snds_client.xml makes the four alert sounds non-positional, the forth is changed to a sound file that works.  I've also added a couple of extra sounds using the male and female death sound files.

With the new config file, you can add the line below to your sound_warnings.txt for a reliable death sound.

death male = You have died and gone to the Underworld!

I'll carry on looking at the sound code to see if I can fix the issues.

Try this, Bluap:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lOCGPVz3yD-nvvHmiyIpEtR73CHyRpLz/view?usp=sharing

I also can't access your .xml file

Edited by Ozmondius

If you get an xml error trying to download my snds_client.xml file, you need to right-click and save as instead.

The new link to warning.ogg works.

Edited by bluap

How does this affect the snds_alert.xml file?  (Which already has the alert1, alert2, etc entries)

3 minutes ago, Aislinn said:

How does this affect the snds_alert.xml file?  (Which already has the alert1, alert2, etc entries)

I don't have that file and its not in the sound pack.  Is that one of your own making?

the warning.ogg?  yes  I wanted no subtleties lol

I updated my snds_alert.xml with your new info and it works perfectly.  Thank you!

Edited by Ozmondius

4 minutes ago, bluap said:

I don't have that file and its not in the sound pack.  Is that one of your own making?

I don't think I made it up. I set up my sound alerts around 2010 and used it ever since.  It must have come with the sounds package at one point.

17 minutes ago, Aislinn said:

I don't think I made it up. I set up my sound alerts around 2010 and used it ever since.  It must have come with the sounds package at one point.

I've only added two new sounds to snds_client.xml , the alerts definitions were already there and I just modified them.  I guess the order that the files are include from sound_config.xml is important, if you have both a snds_client.xml and a snds_alert.xml with the same definitions, one may just overwrite the other.

27 minutes ago, bluap said:

22 minutes ago, Aislinn said:

snds_alert.xml was used by some to map the sounds names in sound_warnings.txt to the ogg files.  Today sound names alert1 - alert4 are mapped inside snds_client.xml instead.  I have sound alerts working using only snds_client.xml and don't have snds_alert.xml.

The only time I can remember seeing snds_alert.xml was when I downloaded the sound pack by NoobPL here http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?/topic/60198-eternal-lands-soundpack-by-kain/. In his sound pack he defines alert1-alert12 in snds_alert.xml.

Edited by Nogrod

@Nogrod: That's 6 years after I set up sound alerts.

@bluap: What's the limit to how many sound alerts we can have?  (I currently have 12)

I don't mind getting rid of snds_alert.xml, that's just how I've always done it before. 

In my snds_config.xml file, the snds_alert include comes right before snds_client.

I guess it's a good idea to remove snds_alert.xml now. 

Just now, Aislinn said:

@Nogrod: That's 6 years after I set up sound alerts.

@bluap: What's the limit to how many sound alerts we can have? 

I don't mind getting rid of snds_alert.xml, that's just how I've always done it before. 

In my snds_config.xml file, the snds_alert include comes right before snds_client.

I guess it's a good idea to remove snds_alert.xml now. 

Thanks Aislinn for confirming the presence of snds_alert.xml in snds_config.xml.  The newest snds_config.xml doesn't contain an include snds_alert.xml so the conflicting definitions is probably applicable to players who are using a very old sound pack.

13 minutes ago, Aislinn said:

@bluap: What's the limit to how many sound alerts we can have?  (I currently have 12)

I don't think there's a limit on alerts as such, other the the 200 limit on total number of sounds.  There's around 140 currently.

Edited by bluap

8 hours ago, bluap said:

Yes I did checked that and the message are being interpreted correctly.  It's a bug in the sound code and I've just about found it....

For those where this is a problem, which sound name are you using?

Is the bug only related to text warning sounds?

I can't hear death sounds when dying from combat either. I can open a new bug for that if you'd like or post debug info here.