Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thyralax

Newbies & Magic & Haidir

So yeah me again!

I have been fooling around with an alt recently and noticed that with haidir quests a/d massively out spans magic level.

Trying to think like a newbie (yeah i know not hard for me)

It was frustrating back in the day now it is even worse can easily end up 30's a/d and very lo magic level if i did not know the tricks i know i would have probably given up and gone else where.

My suggestion come in three forms

• Daily magic quest: Cast x amount of spells in a magic school and get a bonus amount of magic exp. 
  • The daily Haidir/Daritha quests newbies get (and only those) also grant a small amount of bonus magic exp in line with the defence amount. 
  • Third suggestion as Haidir/Daritha above but after level 21 magic you no longer gain the bonus magic exp. (my favourite of the options)

* I would like to stress this is not from my own perspective. I can and do train magic on alts and know how to do it, can even do it when playing on Thyra but as a newbie that doesn't have access to extra funds or a main to play whilst training it is difficult and very expensive. In the old days you kind of got magic and a/d together hand in hand for those first few important levels.

If you make the magic bonus a fixed and fairly small amount (so not X×the mag level),

the effect on higher levels will soon be negligable anyway: lvl 20 requires a total of 39699

magic exp. or about 100 days with 400 exp/mission.

And real newbies can't do Daritha right from the start (they have neither the items nor the

gc to buy them the first days) so just limit this to Haidir? No need to give alts any extra

advantage over new players.

2 hours ago, revi said:

If you make the magic bonus a fixed and fairly small amount (so not X×the mag level),

the effect on higher levels will soon be negligable anyway: lvl 20 requires a total of 39699

magic exp. or about 100 days with 400 exp/mission.

And real newbies can't do Daritha right from the start (they have neither the items nor the

gc to buy them the first days) so just limit this to Haidir? No need to give alts any extra

advantage over new players.

Alts have advantage anyways by knowing the game and also gc income from the mains.

He is probably focusing just on trying to keep the newbies in game. We should have thought better on removing rule 5, it's not the right time to care about alts having advantage right now.

He is probably focusing just on trying to keep the newbies in game. We should have thought better on removing rule 5, it's not the right time to care about alts having advantage right now.

Just to clarify something I said in the first post. 

My current game aim is to take a step back from all of our preconceptions and think "if i was a newbie coming into game today" would i keep playing, if not why? If so Why?

The game has changed, new players have as well. We all need to adapt and change our mind set if we are going to attract a new generation too lets face it a game we all love.

The problem as i see it is how too do we distinguish a newbie from an alt.

What level do we consider a player not a "newbie" any more?

Which i think is a whole new philosophical discussion that we would never get an agreement on.

Personally i say after a months a player is no longer a newbie. Personal distinction. I used to say once you got your tutorial completion but with item break addition could take years :p) so lets say a month.

What ever we do to help newbies is going to help alts that is a part of the game as it is currently set.

According to the rules alts are legal so i think we need to stop the old style thinking of "lets not do things that will make an alts life easier" because that's just going to hurt the newbie's coming in. At the end of the day any player working an alt can just train magic/alch/tailoring far better than a little bonus experience is going to give.

As for players already set a few hundred magic xp is not going to mean jack squat too them in the greater scheme.  

With that in mind that's lets say 30 dailies.

so lets say they get each low level daily 3 times that's about 50k a/d experience around about a/d 21 each + all the little bonus's = 24 add daritha for 2 weeks = about 30. this isn't including the fact newbies are already training on things as well beating up rabbits beavers etc. so i personally think we are looking at after a month of play about a/d 40 each. i think my estimates  are far too low btw. 

Daritha is not hard or expensive if i was coming into game id want to know what dailies are out there and try and do them all. So i would be doing Daritha as well.

30 leather helms or 30 leather boots is just a few fire essence. or flowers or the sale of one beaver token gets a lot of helms. 

100 daily missions is too slow for a newbie. it needs to be higher than that new players have very short attention spans we need to capture their interest too keep them on board. the market is over whelmed with online games and apps. Look at how they come into game they want to team up they want to do things in groups not individually. so 3 months is going to frustrate and we will lose them. give a higher bonus but cut it off at magic level 21. 

Or do a daily magic quest, i'll happily write the scripts for it just cant do anything resembling code.

I don't want to give them a full meal on a plate, but rather give them enough of a nibble to get them feeding themselves. 

Sorry that this was a lot longer a post than i anticipated i just think it is an area that needs addressing and is not a complaint at any one as i know we are all passionate about this little world we live in.  We need to keep the players coming in to feed the market, the over all health and longevity of the game and the financial rewards for the owner. So that everyone will win long term. 

I'm all for helping newbies to stay in the game, I don't see any harm in this being implemented as this would be hard for alts to abuse due to the low amount of exp given anyways, compared to just transferring magic ings from an alt and leveling magic that way. I think it's a great idea.

I do not think there should be a magic daily in the same style as the current haidir/daritha dailies (base + x*magiclevel exp). However, adding to (or creating) a daily with the same idea of Kaleb's dung (flat amount of exp, perhaps very loosely based on level like the dung daily) would be fine.

Magic is a difficult skill, sure. I think there are opportunities to expand the skill that do not involve daily quests. To me, the game does not have to be 'easy' for player retention to be high. Adding some diversity to gameplay through magic would encourage lower level players to level the skill more, in my opinion.

Modifying some spells to be 'magic based' (shield for instance) and have effects based on level/attributes would encourage new players to level magic more naturally than a repetitive daily quest that becomes the go-to for leveling from 0 to 178. Also modifying the availability of some spells could prove interesting; creating of a summoning-stone-like item that casts a spell with reduced amount of mana and/or lesser (or static) effect would encourage more people to 'battle mage' and give other opportunity to level the skill. There are many other options, these are just a few.

Also, if a player doesn't stick around due to lack of dailies for certain skills... I guess I'm okay with that.

Yeah or make the lower level healing slightly more effective works for me too 5 mp's is nothing now days and remote heal is just as bad. A few new spells or some adjustments to the ones we already have wouldn't be a bad thing 

With system as it currently is i am thinking to just get them over the initial hump of magic training.

Not suggesting they will leave due to a lack of dailies for every skill just that one skill needs to some what follow the a/d curve till 21.

Fair enough...

Would better advertisement of the certain quest provide the same benefit? If completed on a magic day I think it zaps you to 21.

Problem is the cost of said quest for truly newbie characters is rather extensive and expensive. And if you harvest yourself the components for a new character would take forever.

A bridge gap heal spell at say level 10 magic would solve the issue also. maybe one that restores 20 mp's   or heals at the same rate poison harms call it regeneration.

Id also like to see a transfer mana spell at around that level give players a small amount of mana dependant on magic level not the same amount as a srs tho say restores 15 ep's but costs 25. 

more options in game is always good.

I'd like to see a light spell, a low level spell useful for say starting to harvest, which would be useful not just for combat like shield is and is what I see a lot of players casting even though just sitting at storage or in fast regeneration.  Since game has full day cycle this makes sense at night since there are no torches in game and this is supposed to be role playing.  Some mines are brighter than outside!

when you start the game and have 40-60MP, you dont really need restoration. You dont really need it til you get col or rdholam. Heal is enough for start.