Eternal Lands Official Forums
Elagabalus

As an ex-player, thank you for all the memories

I only played EL for 2 or 3 years before stopping in 2009, and I haven't thought about it much since, but the other day I started thinking about the great times I had in-game. I never thought I'd enjoy an MMORPG before I discovered an obscure entry in a list of Linux-compatible games. Even if I never reached a high-level, I still enjoyed exploring the world and chatting in the general channel. I can't log onto my old account, whether because of a ban or simple inactivity, but I just wanted to stop by to thank one of my favorite games (and the community that makes it possible).

Yep Eternal Lands [eternal-lands.com] is a good community, yes some of us cannot reach high levels [takes lots of time but worth it] 

Well i have quit EL years ago, tried come back some time ago, but its not the same game and specially community. 

I tried few other MMO's and i can say with full responsibility that EL has one of the worst and hermetic community. Only some old former players that stayed in game saves it.

I quit playing for quite awhile and played many other games because EL was my first MMORPG and after my best EL Sweetie, Graywolf died, and I was grief stuck, I quit...this is the real reason for my quitting as I loved EL but for awhile playing was too painful after Graywolf died all I could think of was that loss so I moved on for a number of years.  Also my own health was very poor and I was facing my own mortality for quite some time.  Fortunatley I am much better now.  And time has eased the sadness of my grief.  So I came back and I am glad I came back and I can say something about EL having played now many other MMORPGs, including but not limited to Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Elder Scrolls Online, and some more like single player RPGs like Skyrim, Oblivion, Dragon's Dogma, Torchlight and Torchlight II, and many others.  The MMORPGs that I have played have been mostly perhaps more sophisticated in graphics, fighting etc.  However, EL has the best graphics and fighting of any smaller RPG and there is something to be said for its small size, it is compatible with older or less OP PCs and laptops...some games I have played simply could not be played on very many laptops, mostly they do better on bigger desktop models like my own gaming Lenovo.  But why did I come back..since my computer is good enough I can play any game I wish.  The reason is the community.  So I say BS to EL having a poor community and yes, if you use Hermetic as meaning "tight" we are a tight community and I find that a good thing...we are a very small community and we all know each other and though we argue and sometimes make fun of each other and sometimes, well we love to hate certain people within our group but overall I think we all do care about each other.  Or most of us do.  And that is something you dont get in a larger game.  Guilds in LOTRO and DDO and ESO are jokes compaired to guilds in EL.  There is not the same chatting even....you can die of loneliness in those games if you are shy or bashful at all.  

If you mean "hermetic" as "airtight" I would argue that is not the case...we are not so tight we cannot make room for another to join.  But we perhaps are going to sit and watch the newcomer for signs of trouble because we have seen newcomers who created problems.  But once we see a newcomer is going to make it with us we adopt them and I know this is true as many of you are not all that old as far as how long you have been here and you are accepted and part of the group.   We are tight group but not a closed group.  And I enjoy my time I spend here each day because of all of you besides what I am doing myself.  Now with the improvements to the android app I am very excited as I often have to spend hours or half a day even at doctors offices and now can play EL to pass the time there.   We hear bad crap from people who quit but how about listen to some decent rap from an old player who came back and stayed.....thanks.  

Edited by yethq
left out a word

I stopped playing like 6-7 years ago. Just came back and I still enjoy the game just as I did back then. And I think this time I will stick to it a bit longer. :P

On 17.07.2018 at 5:55 PM, yethq said:

We hear bad crap from people who quit

And we have never been heard...

And btw the games You tried, sadly You choosed very boring and very similar to each other games.

Give a try the game like "Life is Feudal", check this world, guilds, community and quests where are no NPCs :-)

1 hour ago, Antio... said:

And we have never been heard...

Hi Antio!

Just because what somebody dislikes about the game doesn't change, doesn't mean that person was not heard.  In the long run, any given game's creator has the right to follow his own visions even if somebody else doesn't like it.

On 23.09.2018 at 7:29 PM, Aislinn said:

Hi Antio!

Just because what somebody dislikes about the game doesn't change, doesn't mean that person was not heard.  In the long run, any given game's creator has the right to follow his own visions even if somebody else doesn't like it.

If I’m not gonna get in trouble;

This mindset has brought EL from 1k unique players per day in 2008 to 100 unique players per day in 2018. :D

5 hours ago, Kaddy said:

If I’m not gonna get in trouble;

This mindset has brought EL from 1k unique players per day in 2008 to 100 unique players per day in 2018. :D

You won't get in trouble by me, but I would disagree and say there are multiple reasons for that but I won't get into that here.  Radu is not stupid and he obviously can see the stats, and again, he has the right to do what he pleases with his own game.  If you don't like it, there are many others to choose from.  I  don't understand why people choose to stick around just to bash it. You aren't going to change his mind by doing that.

I remember Aislinn. Ex-member here too, from about 2004 until 2005 (a bit after the big reset). I had some good times in this game (and even met a future ex while playing). Entropy, how have ya been?

3 hours ago, Aislinn said:

You won't get in trouble by me, but I would disagree and say there are multiple reasons for that but I won't get into that here.  Radu is not stupid and he obviously can see the stats, and again, he has the right to do what he pleases with his own game.  If you don't like it, there are many others to choose from.  I  don't understand why people choose to stick around just to bash it. You aren't going to change his mind by doing that.

I never bash it you know. Me and I believe most of people are just sad that they lose good friends because of some same reasons over years. I enjoy the game alot, I would enjoy the game much more if we had the same community as in 2004-2008.  I think you would disagree aswell because there were much more troublemakers back then lol. :D

Well, radu is a very talented programmer and its clearly well known, but we also know that he dosnt have any skills for things like PR or marketing, specially when he wishes his customer a HIV and brain cancer cuz he didnt like the player's criticism about EL (i still have a screenie of that on old PC, cuz i was in shock like hell..).

So tell me how can educated, mentally healthy (i hope so), adult man say things like that + totally public?.. I understand that each of us can get pissed off on some things/people, but reaction like that? Seriously?  What does this tell you about man like this?

Paradoxically many of us left cuz of radu, but this is a topic for a whole book.

In my opinion its too late anyway, not all stories must have a happy ending.

7 hours ago, Antio... said:

Well, radu is a very talented programmer and its clearly well known, but we also know that he dosnt have any skills for things like PR or marketing, specially when he wishes his customer a HIV and brain cancer cuz he didnt like the player's criticism about EL (i still have a screenie of that on old PC, cuz i was in shock like hell..).

So tell me how can educated, mentally healthy (i hope so), adult man say things like that + totally public?.. I understand that each of us can get pissed off on some things/people, but reaction like that? Seriously?  What does this tell you about man like this?

Paradoxically many of us left cuz of radu, but this is a topic for a whole book.

In my opinion its too late anyway, not all stories must have a happy ending.

Then why come back at all? Coming here to bash is just a waste of your energy and time and ours tbh. I have had my run ins with radu and got over it. To hate someone is just a waste. Your hate only effects you, not them. It means nothing to the other person. You left for your reasons, shake the dust off your shoes and never look back.  I wish you peace and happiness in your life. Forget the bad and focus on the good.

You really see a hate in my post..?

Dont join to today's fashion of discussion, i mean, You did not like my criticism? ohh thats cuz its a primitive hate ofc...

That was only my simple observation from many years of game expierience.