Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Alt rules

Ever since we got rid of rule 5, people have been trying to use alts in all sort of 'creative' ways.

Until now, there were some unwritten rules about alts, but I want to make them 'super official' by adding a section about alts in the Rules forum.

Here are a few things that will be in that section, but I am looking for feedback also.

You are not allowed to use alts to:

1. Place them at spawns for the sole purpose of monitoring the spawn (Ivan, Joker, etc.)

2. PKing them so that they spam channel 6 with PKing messages.

3. Pin mobs with them (especially while afk)

Are you ok with these rules? Would you like more rules being added?

P.S. The alt rules will also apply to your brother, sister, parents, cat, ficus, etc. Anything on the SAME IP will be considered an alt for the purpose of these rules.

I would add that if we catch you trying to circumvent this by using a proxy or vpn or some other trick, that counts as well.

Rule 1 and 2 seems ok and makes sense to me.

Though I do have a problem with rule 3, but since you have said (especially whike afk) maybe not.

I do use alt to pin bosses in hard invasion when they are for example 20 cocalar in bethel, or trassian etc, or for ranging (but that rarely happens).

There's time to get this into the official rules before the next client release.

Once decided, Ais or radu make a final post with the official final wording and I'll make sure it gets in as rule 29... or as part of a current rule. Can lemme know your preference for that as well. ;-)

----

Only part I have an opinion on really is the spawn monitors. Glad to see those go.

They were part of the reason I sent the new Joker spawns, hehe.

(I remember there used to be one alt that sat almost 24/7 on the Melinis wall where Neno would spawn, seems to be gone now.)

Edited by Burn

:hiya:

I know I have an opinion on everything, but this one is something that I have an actual 'view' on...

I started playing when #5 was still in effect & while I see/understand all the pro's & cons of getting rid of it I still think of my alt as a separate player. He is built differently, for different things to be done etc. I do trade between them of course but I try to run them as 'separate characters that help each other as friends' as opposed to just another set of eyes to monitor / hold stuff.

I don't disagree with alts at all - it would be incredibly hypocritical of me to even try to pretend otherwise!

However, they do get a little... abused... by some people. I am trying to build a good fighter on this so I have an alt I harv with and one I have trained craft/manu on. But they are 'separate people' really. Not an extension / monitoring tool for this char.

I do also agree with the point on pvp training with them. It just feels wrong to me. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - everyone has an opinion, this is just mine.

Besides, why pretend to be lots of other people? I want a very good char & have a couple of alts as 'support services'.

I mean, I thought alts were so you could manu with one char to a good level while leaving the other free of committing those pp's so as to be able to do something else - again to a good level. Or have a decent fighter but an alt who has lower a/d levels so you can still join in with friends whose chars are also lower - in invances / instances etc.

Anyway, I guess the above meandering waffle boils down to this: Good idea, glad it is clearer.

Thanks for that - I know it has been a bone of contention for many so I hope this will cause less arguing / bitching.

:medieval:

Ok ;

1 Rule- Very fair.

2 Rule- just take care, because some players use alts to train ranged/Mana Drain, and sometimes they are killed by any missclick. Or add the rule "#don't use your alt to train". <== what ill make really hard to lvling magic/ranged or broke armors, because EL don't have so much players who waste time on that kind of skills/quest.

3 Rule- I don't agreed. Mobs want attack players, especially in invasions. And use alt's to pin mobs at invasions & or Train defense ( Like i do with my alt) is just a wise Strategy.

--Just to add... It's really hard take all mobs to gap def and make a good tank char. Especialy at Bethel (at the barrel or any other of the 5 places). When u finally got all mobs and be ready for fight, some player come and kill all your Desert C/Cyclops. It's ok i understand. it's part of the game. But train a good tank it's hard enough now, don't make it harder, we don't need that. And low level's players who are going to n00b instances, they really need a good tank for low instances to teach and make the game more fun.

Anyway, just my Feedback;

Luzbell.

Rule 2 is to not spam it. If it happens every once in a while it's ok, but it if happens a few times an hour it isn't.

Rule 3 is mostly for AFK purposes, like if you keep a mob busy while you are afk.

You can pin them only if someone (like your main) is there to fight them. Can't use alts to have them pinned more than a minute or two if there is no one going to fight them. And I also do NOT want people to use alts to pin many mobs so that their alt will come and fight 7 mobs at once.

I'll ask a few questions so i know the answers ahead of time regarding using alts together.

A. is it illegal to use an alt when you have a daily (ida lion for example) to sit on one spawn to see which lion you killed so your main knows which one to run back to?

i ask as this is an action that fits the description of spawn watching but is only a temporary one, but looking at the wording in your op it seems you are referring most to pure 'sit there all day' on lucrative spawns

B. also is it allowed to be killing two separate spawns at the same time with two alts, ie one on each of the two sedi tigers, i ask this to make sure this isnt seen as spawn holding or watching, its more a case of multi tasking.

when people do want one of the spawns i send one alt away, i don't use them to hog or block spawns

C, are we allowed to have an alt to sit out of the way but near by to take and give supplies to your main on a map your main is hunting regular yellow top creatures

D are there any rules about using more than one alt at a harvesting item?

D1 second alt to heal harvester and any other non connected players that need healing, D2, both alts harvesting same item at the same time, (obviously not blocking that item from others getting to it)

Edited by caladina

There is some uses of alts that I also question whether they are right and know that some people use alts in these manners and want to bring them into the discussion:

some seem to be using alts as what I would call an illegal or undeclared bot for storage purposes and have heard people say things like "I keep all of {this} on my alt etc. I heard Radu say the other day that alts are supposed to be played so it would seem that using one primarilly as storage would break that intention but I wonder radu if you dont want to add that to the new rules just to make it more official or if you dont due to it would perhaps be a hassle to police I dont know...but it seems to me that you intended that our alts be played characters and not use for other purposes such as illegal bots and spawn protectors etc.

I have a lot of alts but I do try very hard to keep playing them all some get neglected a little but my intentions are to level (if I live long enough I am slow to level) all my alts and my main...

I guess that is all that comes to mind right now--I would suggest that we might add that alts need to be played and they should not be used primarilly for storage...

decided to add more:

I wonder in this discussion about all the various uses of alts and I use them for but not exclusively for some of these as well

such phenomina as "Harvest Slaves" which I would call alts that have no function of life of their own other than to harvest for the main and I am not saying this should or should not be tolerated I would of course leave that up to Radu but maybe here it should at least be addressed...

is it ok to have alts that are only played to better the position of the main and have no life of their own..ie they do not level any skills other than what they do for the main..such as harvesting for instance or

mixing essies (and only mixing essies for the main)

Before anyone argues please note I am not suggesting one way or the other whether this should be a legal way of playing an alt or not...I am asking only for it to be considered and made clear here.

I have as said many alts but I myself have a kind of role play game with them and each of them has its own speciality that it does and none of the others do...such as Chavalah is my potter, Mammalushke my tailor,

Kruella is learning manu, Frumasara will hopefully be a mage....Yenta I hope to make a bot. And Gimel I dont play she was one I meant to kill. So anyway, I still at times use them more for helping YethQ but that is not my intended main use for any of them although they are an asset yes. (well sometimes they cost me a lot to maintain too lol)

Edited by yethq

1. Place them at spawns for the sole purpose of monitoring the spawn (Ivan, Joker, etc.)

Makes sense,fine for me

Is that really a problem?

if i'm right, the closest PK place to underworld is KF, but it still takes some time to go there from Underworld.

Is that really worth a new rule?

3. Pin mobs with them (especially while afk)

Isn't that more a tactic than an abuse?

If that's really a problem, making the monsters run away after a given time, like 30 seconds, from an attackable, but not reachable player might be a better solution IMO.

Anyways, no problem with such rules, since they don't affect my game play.

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

Reinstate rule 5, EL was cooler when social interactions were needed to play.

Odd to abolish a rule infavour of many complicated subrules aiming to do the same thing as the origional rule was in place for

Reinstate rule 5, EL was cooler when social interactions were needed to play.

Odd to abolish a rule infavour of many complicated subrules aiming to do the same thing as the origional rule was in place for

That cat is out of the bag. Far too late for that.

Am against this rule.

Sometimes such a kill is a relive. besides some people take alts to break clothes and so on when they do not find a fighting partner and a death is unavoidable, how do you difference

[19:48:05] mother__nature is now "Sleeping in light".

it makes one feel good to see that message now and then (not so often) and because of the name it made people want to get a hit in too, so many people in game that mother nature hates.

Edited by vinoveritas

Definitely in agreement with all the above..

OK - so no one has mentioned the elephant(s) in the room....

1) Having an alt in a strategic spot to see someone passing to / from a specific location simply to watch for passers by and then call in the main - Am thinking specifically of placing alts in spots on the hydro route

2 ) placing alts by spawn so that you can then serp / call main - again thinking of NRM RD

3 ) having alt by your training location with the sole purpose of collecting your DB - enabling you to train without a brick

4) related to 1)

Harvesting alts stationed at hydro or pear locations

also shopping alts, storage alts, virtual hyperbags, stocking alts etc etc

4) related to 1)

Harvesting alts stationed at hydro or pear locations

also shopping alts, storage alts, virtual hyperbags, stocking alts etc etc

These are good questions...even I have only one alt who holds the purse and all my other toons are anti...but in defense of my position there I can honestly say I am playing and leveling her she is not just solely a buying alt but she is the only toon I have who can buy and so yes, she does it for my main and all the others. (albeit very slowly as I have 7 toons I am playing total and it is not easy to level very fast on any of them with so many however leveling fast is not a major concern for me I just play for fun and am not too concerned with that) So I would say that I would of course be complience with any changes that are made. But I think that the biggest rule modifier should be that alts are being played and leveled (not necessarilly speedily hopefully cause I am old dont do anything fast anymore lol) and that would mean no alts who only held all your surplus weapons and amours etc who were so full they cant and are not played..and no alts that you absolutely only use to buy stuff cause you are anti...and never play besides that...I think that is what Radu means (that is how I take it when he said they must be played) but I think it needs to be spelled out in detail becasue some people just wont get it otherwise...

Playing an alt means you are doing stuff with it besides using it as a slave for the betterment of your main however that is...buying stuff, collecting death bags, storing your hoarded resources, training on it for you betterment and not theirs, (ie do you break stuff on it but do you ever do have it breaking stuff? Do you ever do a quest with it or level skills on it? Do you ever train on it? These are things that a real character in EL does and I think alts should be doing them to in order to be real alts. I dont think rule five was abolished so we would not need bricks anymore due to our alts can get our dbs now, I dont think it was abolished so that we could have walking storage bots to keep our stuff in we all know how limited our storage is and it is very tempting to store on an alt but Radu clearly states that all bots be declared and a bot is a bot...if you only store on a toon it is a bot imo.

Agree with #1.

Agree with #2.

Agree with #3 but stronger: I always thought mobs being able to be pinned was a bug and as such should not be exploited by anyone, alt or main. Yeah, I know you are all going to yell at me and say some mobs are too hard otherwise. But wasn't that the point of hard mobs? I'd prefer to see the pinning ability removed completely.

Just to respond to aislinn post, pining creature does require 'skill' it doesn't sound as easy when surrounded by other creatures, you will get attack and most likely have to run. Anyway 'hard' creature are not pinable such as mare bulangiu, castellan, Bricker and even polyphemus