Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Android client [New version, 29th of November]

After over a month of work, I managed to build an Android client, which is quite playable, though by no means complete. I am releasing it in this state for two reasons: I want people to test it, and make sure it works fine on their devices, and also because it is pretty playable right now, so there is no reason to wait until there is a fully complete and polished client.

Again, keep in mind that this is WORK IN PROGRESS, the client is by no means complete. There are many UI elements that do not scale on high resolution screens. Some menus can't even be accessed (like the config menu). Also, you can't trade from storage yet. The menus do not have touch based gestures yet (such as scrolling). The stat bars will go over the bottom icons, the keyboard will be over the text input, etc. Please DO NOT report those things. If you see ANY problem with the interface, do not report it.

Do report crashes (except for the one when the app has lost focus, and it is restarted). Also, please report how well (or how bad) the game works on your device. And when reporting any problem, or performance issue, please specify your full device name/model.

So, enable "untrusted sources" from your security settings, then download and install the game. Let me know how it works!

Download link: http://www.eternal-lands.com/SDLActivity-debug.apk

29/11/2016 UPDATE

New version, same file, please download it again.

Chat text resizes properly

Removed the HUD frame, the game is full screen now
The keyboard input text should not be covered by the keyboard anymore. However, it doesn't warp to new lines yet.
Items quickbar is scaled properly, so it is quite usable

59 to 60FPS on my galaxy S7 so it was very fast. I could harvest and move on my alt.

A 'Log off' or 'Exit game' option on pressing the back button would be nice.

I plan on getting a Samsung 10" tablet in two weeks which may make it easier to do things such as fighting.

Edited by hussam

I have an older Samsung tablet model GT-P7510, with Android ver 3.1. I downloaded the package and used Dropbox to get it onto the tablet. When I tap the installer I get three options: Avast Mobile Security, Package installer, (Google) Verify and install. I've tried all three and I get the same error:

Parse error
There is a problem parsing the package.

Is this something I'm doing wrong, or is my device/OS just too old?

Just try to download it with your web browser?

OK, I tried that. Once it's saved, I get the same three choices as above, with the same error message. So I don't think the intermediate step of using Dropbox damaged/corrupted the file in any way.

I have the same phone (rooted, but otherwise standard Samsung Android), and I am getting over 25 fps in most of the places. Others with an S5 reported similar values to mine.

Installs clean no problem.

Attempting to run I get this error:

SDL Error

An error occured while trying to start the application. Please try again and/or reinstall.

Error: dlopen failed: "/data/app-lib/com.el.elc-2/libmain.so" has unexpected e_machine: 40

System is AT7-C8 Toshiba. Attempting on my phone next.

Installed on phone and worked however two main issues I had were: I couldnt figure out how to turn the camera. Zooming and stuff perfect np tho

and: when I accidentally locked the phone screen the game screen went black when I tried to unlock it. Could not reset with power button. Was forced to manually power down by removing battery.

Graphics look awesome, fps was good (20 even on this crap phone in dp cc) and quick to install. Very nice!

Oh yeah and phone is LG L15G touchscreen Trakfone

Edited by Biker_Boy

and: when I accidentally locked the phone screen the game screen went black when I tried to unlock it. Could not reset with power button. Was forced to manually power down by removing battery.

Graphics look awesome, fps was good (20 even on this crap phone in dp cc) and quick to install. Very nice!

Oh yeah and phone is LG L15G touchscreen Trakfone

Ok, I could reproduce it, although in my case I didn't have to restart the phone. I just pressed the power button again and tried a few times, then it worked. I had to kill the app from the app manager though. I'll look more into it.

Yeah mine showed nothing but a black screen and the power level% and other indicators at the top where they normally were. back button home button and holding power button didnt work for some reason. Everything was fine after manual restart and I was able to exit the app successfully if I did not lock the screen.

Edited by Biker_Boy

I tried all the fixes discussed in this article: http://www.technicalnotes.org/fix-parse-error-in-android-there-is-a-problem-parsing-the-package/ So I'm left with this one. What version of the OS was the client compiled for? My guess is something newer than 3.1 which means I'm hosed.

Fix 6: Incompatible App
Some Android apps do not support the older version of the Android OS. Some apps do not support the older hardware of the smartphone. So, when you try to install an app which requires Android 4.4 KitKat above on an Android 4.3 Jelly Bean running smartphone then you will get “Parse error – there is a problem parsing the package” message. So, make sure you read the app description about the requirement on the Google Play Store.

I was able to unpack the AndroidManifest.xml and it LOOKS (if I'm reading it correctly) like it's build for Android 1.0, which should work for any Android OS. So I'm thinking #6 is not the problem.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:"http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" android:versionCode="1" android:versionName="1.0" android:installLocation="auto" package="com.el.elc" platformBuildVersionCode="15" platformBuildVersionName="4.0.4-1406430">
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="15" android:targetSdkVersion="15" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <application android:theme="@*android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen" android:label="@string/app_name" android:icon="@drawable/ic_launcher" android:debuggable="true" android:allowBackup="true" android:hardwareAccelerated="true">
        <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name="ELCActivity" android:screenOrientation="landscape" android:configChanges="keyboardHidden|orientation">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
    </application>
</manifest>

Installed on Amazon Kindle Fire 7 (one year old) with 8 Gb RAM. It installed to the SD card, and has its data on the tablet. I created a new character on my PC before logging in on the Android app. It started up and logged into the just-created character without issue.

FPS ranged from a low of about 15 to a high of about 45. Harvesting vegetables in IP (with effects enabled), i noted around 22 FPS. I didn't have any trouble with it after hitting home key to check battery or email and then returning to the app. On the one occasion when I was out for a couple of minutes, it d/c'ed and logged back in automatically upon clicking on the open app. When I accidentally powered off once, I came back to the same black screen that Biker_boy described. I rebooted before firing it up again.

I successfully traded, both with my main character and with a bot (both buying and selling). The new char completed all of the Tutorial NPC quests, through the Seridium Journey, and got the achievement. You mentioned that you will be making changes to the fonts soon. The place where I had the hardest time with them was in the NPC dialogs, particularly when there were 2 or more lines of options. There is almost no line spacing between the two lines of text, so it's really hard to hit the right one. The short 'More' prompt also caused me to walk around like I had the heebie-jeebies!

I'm very pleased with the look, the stability, and how much of the PC game is already implemented in this client. I'll continue to try to get it working on my HP tablet, as it would be easier to work with it on something a little larger than 7". But, it's quite playable atm on my Fire. Keep up the good work!

LG G3 Android 6.0. Works well in my limited testing. Frame rates in the mid 30s in and around PL sto. Quite amazing to see it running on a mobile actually, but not sure that it's playable at that screen size.

I did attempt to run it on a tablet (Samsung Galaxy 10" Tab 3) but it fails on loading. I think though that this might have an atom processor, so it is the same problem reported earlier about x86 support.

Nexus 7 original here, application fails to start. One time I received a "..has closed" error, otherwise it just returns to the launcher. Are there any logs I can look at?

Try to download it again, and clear the app data.

If not, install adb, and do an: adb logcat (after you enabled the usb debugging mode)

LG G3 (LG-D851) Running Android 6.0. Works well averaged around 35 fps. If you drop your view angle to see further in the distance it can drop down pretty fast to 7-10 range, but that makes sense as it is rendering more information. Defiantly a step up from the earlier Android client as this one you can fight and see your character. Looking forward to seeing the finished UI

Your phone has the same gpu as mine (Samsung S5), but a higher resolution, so that's probably why it is so slow when viewing in the distance. On my S5, it rarely drops under 15 FPS seeing in the distance.

"adb logcat" produces a log of output, some repeated several times but the underlying error looks to be:

I/SDL/APP (27332): Done reading conf, data dir is: /data/data/com.el.elc/files/
I/SDL/APP (27332): Before checking data dir, the dir is: /data/data/com.el.elc/files/
I/SDL/APP (27332): Done checking data dir, the dir is: /data/data/com.el.elc/files/
I/SDL/APP (27332): !!!!!!!Couldn't find asset file:///etc/xml/catalog
I/SDL/APP (27332): Error: file: jni/src/io/elfilewrapper.c line: 856 message: Can't open file 'file:///etc/xml/catalog'.
I/SDL/APP (27332): Done load translatables
I/SDL/APP (27332): Starting setup_video_mode
I/SDL/APP (27332): Error: file: jni/src/gl_init.c line: 127 message: Couldn't set GL mode: Could not create GLES window surface
W/InputDispatcher( 467): channel '26c0f759 com.el.elc/com.el.elc.ELCActivity (server)' ~ Consumer closed input channel or an error occurred. events=0x9
E/InputDispatcher( 467): channel '26c0f759 com.el.elc/com.el.elc.ELCActivity (server)' ~ Channel is unrecoverably broken and will be disposed!
I/WindowState( 467): WIN DEATH: Window{26c0f759 u0 com.el.elc/com.el.elc.ELCActivity}
W/InputDispatcher( 467): Attempted to unregister already unregistered input channel '26c0f759 com.el.elc/com.el.elc.ELCActivity (server)'
I/WindowState( 467): WIN DEATH: Window{61f13ff u0 SurfaceView}
I/Zygote ( 131): Process 27332 exited cleanly (1)
I/ActivityManager( 467): Process com.el.elc (pid 27332) has died
W/ActivityManager( 467): Force removing ActivityRecord{30560a70 u0 com.el.elc/.ELCActivity t11}: app died, no saved state
W/ResourceType( 652): No package identifier when getting value for resource number 0x00000000
W/PackageManager( 652): Failure retrieving resources for com.el.elc: Resource ID #0x0
I/ActivityManager( 467): START u0 {act=com.android.systemui.recents.SHOW_RECENTS flg=0x10804000 cmp=com.android.systemui/.recents.RecentsActivity} from uid 10020 on display 0
W/InputMethodManagerService( 467): Starting input on non-focused client com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@249d77eb (uid=10012 pid=1002)
I/ActivityManager( 467): START u0 {act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10300000 cmp=com.el.elc/.ELCActivity bnds=[16,685][144,829] (has extras)} from uid 10012 on display 0
V/WindowManager( 467): addAppToken: AppWindowToken{12ec885 token=Token{341bd9fc ActivityRecord{2baafaef u0 com.el.elc/.ELCActivity t11}}} to stack=1 task=11 at 0
V/WindowManager( 467): Adding window Window{22d6570b u0 Starting com.el.elc} at 4 of 11 (after Window{ec6cc77 u0 com.android.settings/com.android.settings.SubSettings})
I/ActivityManager( 467): Start proc 27359:com.el.elc/u0a99 for activity com.el.elc/.ELCActivity