Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rhapsodist

Steam?

I have been using Steam for years, and just noticed what used to be a standalone web browser game called Eldevin added onto Steam. Like EL it's F2P, and I couldn't help but think that EL could possibly boost it's marketing, exposure, and playerbase if it was listed on Steam. More than likely develops have thought of this already but just my two cents.

Steam is great I only play/buy games that are hosted by Steam.

If a friend hadn't shown me EL all those years ago I certainly wouldn't of found it.

I'm not sure if there's a cost involved in having it hosted but steam is massively popular.

According to the link PaulB posted, there's a one-time fee of 100$ to submit (a) game(s).

There's also something in there about in-game transactions and subscriptions having to go through the Steam Wallet,

I assume so they can get their part. But I'm not sure that's applicable for EL's shop system (not sure it isn't, either :P).

Eldevin had a huge influx of players after they released on steam,(maybe 18 months ago?), I was active there when it happened

I also think steam community as a whole pretty willing to spend real $ on games, would be good for game, and good for radu

Eldevin also tanked and pretty much returned to the state it was pre-steam. Not the greatest example.

Steam would add some new players, sure. However, EL is not very newbie friendly... I have doubts as to how much prolonged traffic steam would really bring to EL

Edited by Diealot

Eldevin also tanked and pretty much returned to the state it was pre-steam. Not the greatest example.

Steam would add some new players, sure. However, EL is not very newbie friendly... I have doubts as to how much prolonged traffic steam would really bring to EL

isuspect eldevin tanked becausr of limited gameplay, Took me few months to max level, if you max a skill like tailoring, you can make a wizard hat which never breaks, never gets lost, you only ever need one. Gets old fast, that game.. nothing to do with steam

isuspect eldevin tanked becausr of limited gameplay, Took me few months to max level, if you max a skill like tailoring, you can make a wizard hat which never breaks, never gets lost, you only ever need one. Gets old fast, that game.. nothing to do with steam

In comparison EL has unique gameplay mechanics, depth, and an oldschool feel as an MMO, what many gamers still look for in an MMO; not just fancy graphics. EL's just lacking that ;arger playerbase/community it had back in mid-2000s, making it feel a bit empty sometimes when walking around maps.

In terms of the $100 fee, I wouldn't mind donating some, maybe many others would too.

Edited by Sonny

i play EL through Steam, as you can download. intend checking out Eldevin just to see. not came up as a game suggested by Steam on my account.

looked at F2P games on Steam for Linux and came up with 4 or 5 games, most of them looked much worse than EL. Might be a good 'selling' point.

I have played a lot of games on steam which are just like Eternal Lands where steam literally just launches the client and nothing more.

You can USE steam to get free advertisement. You also get free goodies with steam. 

-Discussion Boards

-Game Guides

-Groups

Everything about adding this to steam would be positive. 

***We could even coordinate the steam launch with a heavy dose of community advertisement via streaming. Like have every capable person to stream the game the week before and after steam launch. I can almost guarentee this game will gain 500 ACTIVE users. Easily.