Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RipTide

Money for invasions

I have had my integrity questioned by a certain individual in game. Saying I am taking bribes or some such for doing them. From now on I will no longer be accepting any moneys or gifts for making invasions. The money I received last time, I bought a few books and gave the rest away to the other mods. They put up with a lot and deserve much more than I gave them.

That being said, I don't have the time to do the things I want to do in game and make invasions every day of the week.

I will do only 3 invasions a week per cap, 120, 145 and uncapped, 9 total. I am figuring weekends and a day midweek.

I will not have my integrity questioned. I don't fight in my own invasions, I don't make any money for doing them and all I get is loss of my game time.

Sorry, this is the best I can do.

To the person who said our job was to make invasions, here is the official job duties from the mod forum. I don't see invasions anywhere on that list.

Moderator Duties

Coffee Must be Shared

If your coffee pot is not big enough, you must get a bigger pot.

Helping newbies at the wraith & beam

Answer questions & Moderating channels

Answering #help_me requests

Answering abuse reports

Checking the Community Helper Forums daily

as an outsider looking in maybe it would be an idea like the invances are give a time limit to clear if not maybe uncap it then it doesnt affect any others who may want to go to that map it will prob stop any problems with mobs not getting cleared

as an outsider looking in maybe it would be an idea like the invances are give a time limit to clear if not maybe uncap it then it doesnt affect any others who may want to go to that map it will prob stop any problems with mobs not getting cleared

I have absolutely no idea how this relates to the point :unsure:

Nor do I understand how you could say that with a straight face - after you have actually gotten involved in invasions that are in your range for a while (as opposed to just sitting at invasions you are over the cap for and criticising people as you normally do) then maybe you would have the moral standing to say such a thing. But you don't. And if you do happen to have something to say, maybe make a thread about it rather than attempting to hijack a thread that has nothing at all to do with your 'point'.

But on the topic this thread was instigated on - I am getting really sick of this :bangwall:

I know I may not have the right / standing / whatever to comment upon this, but my view is this: the mods DO deserve to be allowed to receive gifts of our appreciation WITHOUT the 'bitches' bitching about them being given tokens of our genuine appreciation that they DO deserve for all the things they DO NOT have to do. They do it because (as far as I am aware at least) they want to help the game, make people happy and do what they believe is a nice thing to do in order that other players ('other players' because they are players too!) get to enjoy themselves.

At the risk of sounding really old, I played this game a LOT in the past and I remember when mods said things like "TOPIC" and "RULE #x - SEE YOU IN A MONTH" and VERY LITTLE ELSE - because 'that' is what mods 'do'. Now, they say things like "ok" and "sure" and "I don't mind helping you out" and yet..... it still doesn't seem to be enough for some people :omg:

WTF?!!!????!!!

If people do not think that it is ok for individual players to offer gifts to the mods for going above and beyond (in some cases WELL above and beyond....) what they 'should' do, then I propose this:

Let us have a (I was going to say month but that's shooting myself in the foot a little too much tbh...) 2 week period where mods ONLY 'MOD'. Where they operate as they used to - only within the boundaries of the list of mod 'duties'. Therefore, no "ok", no "sure" and NO "ok, I'll shat on my whole time I have to play this game and give you all invasions for no benefit at all". See how the 'bitches', 'moaners' and other assorted trolls like that one... :sneaky:

No? Why? Don't you like that? Do you not think it fair (considering there are those who would have us not appreciate / show our appreciation for the 'extras' we get) that mod's should only be expected to do what they are originally asked to do and no more - especially seeing as they are doing it just for the sake of trying to make others happy? Really? How could you say no to my obviously simple and 'basic mod list duties' idea of the mods returning to how it was when... oh, how was it put the other night in @6?.... OH YES! "The good old days". Fk off...

IF I, AS A PLAYER, APPRECIATE SOMETHING SOMEONE (MOD OR OTHERWISE) HAS DONE THAT I ENJOY / BENEFIT FROM WHO THE FK ARE YOU TO STOP ME SHOWING MY GRATITUDE? GROW UP!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just so you know, I read through this before posting and everything between the two lines I have deleted and replaced with this because I got a little... cross :bangwall:

And more than a little vocal.

I'm kind of glad I did cos I don't fancy a proper long ban for language / targeting / abuse comments. Suffice to say I get a little wound up about this so... well, I guess you get the point from what I didn't delete :whistle:

Please, can we just respect people a bit more and recognise that demanding stuff from people may get you things in the short term, but in the long term you come out looking like an idiot. And you don't have to. Just play the game, enjoy playing it and accept the things that come your way and don't bemoan the things that don't. Please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now I've gotten that off of my chest, I'll bugger off again. Also, I'm fairly sure this post will get taken down because someone will probably moan about something I've said but that's ok, I don't mind all that much :D

Enjoy Yourselves, Play Nice & Stay Groovy :hug::hug:

:medieval:

I agree with FairyTail that our mods do go above and beyond and if people want to show their appreciation for that in game items/gc then that should be up to them. Aquila is also totally within his rights to say 'sorry I can't do an invasion today as I want to work on my own game play for a bit.'

So....how much for a AA uncapped beaver invasion? ;) I need some for summon daily.

\o/ FREE for old friends :D

So....how much for a AA uncapped beaver invasion? ;) I need some for summon daily.

\o/ FREE for old friends :D

Yay!

Moderation in EL always was for free:

"You don't become a moderator by asking to be one. We usually spot that you are helping a lot in the game, and are a kind, polite player. Someday we might ask you if you want to be one. But do not have your hopes set on it, don't act all nice and helpful just to become a moderator because you want some extra powers or think you will get any rewards from it.

Moderators/newbie helpers do NOT get ANYTHING for free. They do what they do because they are good people who want to help a game they like!(well at least I hope that is why wink.gif)" (Extracted from rules topic in this forum).

On the other hand, I understand they share their time with the players when do an invasion. I don't go to the invasions, but seeing them from outside I think gifts from the players would be a double taxation: the "rosto tax" when they loose a rosto in the invasion and the money/items they gave for the invasion. Prolly would be better if Radu gives the mods a fixed gc amount for each invasion they do. Radu has his rostos, mods have some gc for sharing their time and the players have often invasions.

I'm very sorry to see that for you a gift is the equivalent of a tax*... I tend to see it as a way to show appreciation for the efforts put in.

As for rosto's being a tax* for doing invasions, no one forces you to enter an invasion, they are always either announced before they start or prepared in empty caves/houses/rooms; so any participation in mod-organised invasions is voluntary. And of course, no one forces you to carry a rosto, or top armour/weapons (although without top gear, your chances of survival might be less than optimal).

And please, no payment from radu to organise invasions. Already there are players that feel they have a right to invasions when (and where) they want them. I feel no need for anything that might give such players any reason to feel or act as if we have to organise invasions (nor do I want to be forced to organise them). It's not as if invasions are rare these days.

As usual, the above is my personal opinion only, and I do not speak for any of the other moderators.

____

* tax being a compulsory contribution...

I'm very sorry to see that for you a gift is the equivalent of a tax*... I tend to see it as a way to show appreciation for the efforts put in.

As for rosto's being a tax* for doing invasions, no one forces you to enter an invasion, they are always either announced before they start or prepared in empty caves/houses/rooms; so any participation in mod-organised invasions is voluntary. And of course, no one forces you to carry a rosto, or top armour/weapons (although without top gear, your chances of survival might be less than optimal).

And please, no payment from radu to organise invasions. Already there are players that feel they have a right to invasions when (and where) they want them. I feel no need for anything that might give such players any reason to feel or act as if we have to organise invasions (nor do I want to be forced to organise them). It's not as if invasions are rare these days.

As usual, the above is my personal opinion only, and I do not speak for any of the other moderators.

____

* tax being a compulsory contribution...

Two persons, two opinions....

Wearing a rosto and good armors in an invasion is not compulsory, but it's advisable. I remember a guy who forgot wearing a rosto in an invasion and lost valuable armors. Several pr0 players made laughs of him when tried to get the Death Bag back. The last I heard about that guy is he rage quit EL.

Doing invasions is not compulsory. Several mods don't do them or rarely and nothing happens....

Edited by Susje

Susje, as usual, you completely miss my point, which was:

Gifts and rosto loss related to invasions cannot be considered a tax, as neither is an obligation...

Susje, as usual, you completely miss my point, which was:

Gifts and rosto loss related to invasions cannot be considered a tax, as neither is an obligation...

In your opinion, in my opinion is a tax because if several invasions are made and none rostogol is lost prolly won't be invasions so often. Rostos are important for EL and just a few players loose them mixing or harvesting.

I really appreciate the gesture made by players recently and thank Aquila for sharing with me and other moderators.

The idea that there should be a benefit to moderators (gc or otherwise) associated with invasions, and especially linked in any way to amount of rotos lost, would be a reason for me never to do an invasion ever again.

Being a moderator is not a job, it is a volunteer activity that some players have accepted to help the game and other players. The range of things moderators (can) do has increased over the years, and with the removal of rule 5 there is a little less work on finding players breaking that rule ;) Running an invasion, other than just dumping a ton of mobs in one map like Bethel, takes a lot of planning and time. Even 2k hidden mobs cost me 2 hours to place, not even counting all the time spent scouting good hideouts and preparing the commands. I do these things when I have some time, because I like to do that. To make it a paid job and thus an obligation would take the fun out of it.

just my personal 2c (free)

Having moderated another game for more than a year, I can honestly tell you that moderating is a tough, thankless job that requires skin as think as steel and a deaf ear to whiners.

The moderators of this game do a tremendous job for which EVERYONE should be thankful.

I encourage the wonderful EL moderators to keep in mind that what a player says reflects their thinking and state of mind only, and has nothing to do with the unfortunate moderator listening. Please know that there are many players truly grateful for the time and effort you volunteer to assist us playing.

PT :hug:

Let me get this right.

I make an invasion~ Players make money from the monsters = win

Radu sells rostogols he makes money = win

players selling rostos, sr's, he, armor, other mis stuff. they make money = win

I spend my play time making invasions = loss of time

yea that makes sense.

Let me get this right.

yea that makes sense.

May I ask why are you doing things which you do not like or which are not beneficial to you than?

Let me get this right.

yea that makes sense.

May I ask why are you doing things which you do not like or which are not beneficial to you than?

Insanity I guess. :bangwall:

Aquila

On more than one occasion people have begged me for invasions, and I agreed by accepting hydrobars for my time. You have done nothing wrong, and the ones that provided the hydro bars did it willingly and without coercion. Some people do not realize that invasions can take many hours of time and that you are not here to be their exclusive entertainment director.

Cheers