Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Susje

Breaking quest.

I've heard players talking in the public channels about how hard is breaking some item in order to end the breaking quest (2 months, many months, even years). When I started to play EL was pretty easy breaking leather armor and iron swords (although I didn't want to break them), now I've been trying to break several pieces of armor and weapons for months (of course training in the more grief #days and doing it with the best astro for breaking too) without success. Prolly the server code is made so with more a/d levels and cross attributes is more difficult to break items.

Could to be a good idea to add some info to the items we must to break for the breaking armors/weapons quests so examining them says something like that: "Titanium plate. Status: 90%" (by example). This way at least we can see the % is growing every day we train with it. Now breaking items is so random that we don't know if we will break them some day in the future or the breaking rate is bugged.

It's probably not bugged by the slightest... FYI, some players have already experimented with which cross attributes could effect the break rates and how it works (read el-forum). The people that might be effected can/could chose to finish the quest before proceeding with their builds. This is easy to do today, given alts are allowed and people are willing to use many of them.

The quest in question only gives some marginal benefits compared to the gear you're wearing, so why would it be your good idea to completely remake the breaking system in place?

Are you serious? Maybe for you +2 accuracy, +2 armor and a perk that removes accuracy astrology penalties is marginal, but for many players (not only me) is important. What would cost in pps (and in gc or $$$) having all that without doing the quest? I'm not a fighter, but I think that would cost a good amount.

On the other hand, I guess I'm not the only one thinking something is not well in the breaking rate because I've heard many times it costs many months breaking just 1 item.

Maybe a rich player could to make an alt from the start and give it all the armors, weapons to break, CoLs or RDHoLams, HEs, SRs, etc and break all faster than a char with a better build but I think nobody with a developed char would reset it just because the breaking quests seem impossible to end. I think it's better supporting the players who are playing now EL and avoiding more and more players get frustrated by things like this and leave EL. Better improving the quests and every part of the game so the players love EL and don't hate EL.

As far I know, few programmers know really the server code (Radu and maybe Learner) so it wouldn't be strange if there is a bug in the code that makes breaking items very difficult in some combinations of attributes, perks, cross attributes and whatever. Remember the iron helms: they were in the Daritha daily armor supplier quest for years, but didn't work because there was a bug in the code. Only after Radu checked the logs and asked in the channels if the iron helms were usual in the quest was discovered the bug.

SInce the quest is more about breaking shit, and consuming resources, let those that wish to consume do so. Allow BROD or Acid rain to count as item break for quest. What does it really matter if it takes someone a few minutes, or years to complete, as it seems to be about consuming resources anyhow. Let them consume.

I've heard players talking in the public channels about how hard is breaking some item in order to end the breaking quest (2 months, many months, even years). When I started to play EL was pretty easy breaking leather armor and iron swords (although I didn't want to break them), now I've been trying to break several pieces of armor and weapons for months (of course training in the more grief #days and doing it with the best astro for breaking too) without success. Prolly the server code is made so with more a/d levels and cross attributes is more difficult to break items.

Could to be a good idea to add some info to the items we must to break for the breaking armors/weapons quests so examining them says something like that: "Titanium plate. Status: 90%" (by example). This way at least we can see the % is growing every day we train with it. Now breaking items is so random that we don't know if we will break them some day in the future or the breaking rate is bugged.

So you propose that the server tracks the wear and tear on all the hundreds of armor pieces I have in storage? This is not how breakage works, it is indeed random. Every time you fight there is a random chance to break it, how big depends on all kinds of stats.

Of course it's harder to break stuff with more a/d levels and attributes:

- more def means you dodge better;

- the higher your attribs are, the more likely you have extra instinct => even more evading attacks.

And the better you are at avoiding a hit, the less chance to break your stuff in a given time...

(and you kill the attacker faster as well, so you'll spend more time waiting for respawn or looking for another

target).

Nothing to do with bugs or malicious coding, but an effect inherent to the combat system.

For those that moan about items not breaking when they want them: suppose radu increases the break

rate for the quest items to a nice level for the break quest. How long before you realise that the items you don't

want to break (either because you already done that part, or aren't at it yet) will also break faster?

Now to the option of a degradation indicator:

As Maxine indicated, that implies that every item in your inventory and storage had to be individualised. Not going to happen,

and not something you want (think of the number of storage slots that would need, esp. with Daritha's demands)

Or you get a whole load of new questions to answer.

Degradation tracing could be done only for armour pieces and weapons in your inventory (as armour and weapons don't stack).

But then:

- what happens when you put that item back in storage? One of the following:

* every item of the same type gets the degradation % of the item you put in (so all items will degrade at the same rate)

* every item of the same type gets an average % of degradation (so all items will degrade at the same rate)

* you lose all progress, and degradation % is reset to zero (effectively making items unbreakable if you play it well).

And what about trading items from inventory that are partially degraded? For trade to store it's easy enough, same questions as above,

except that the buyer will want to know the degree of degradation (lowering prices for partially degraded items). If that degree isn't

available in trading (for the future buyer), who'd want to buy any piece of armour from another player? And if it's reset on trading,

we have again unbreakable items (trade same item from both sides => both end up with a brand new item).

Oh, and if we still allow break on random hit, the % degradation becomes meaningless (or you get a much more complicated calculation during combat). And of course players will start to complain when their armour breaks at less than 100% degradation.

I wasn't a rich player, i planned my armor breaking and my weapon breaking quest as well, now i'm done with all of them except the ice dragon set and the black dragon pants. If you were oh so interested at finishing the quest, you could figure out ways to do it instead of suggesting a change that would entirely replace one of the game systems.

We have a problem (I think we agree that it's a problem and I'm not the only one with that problem, so we have it....), now we must to find a solution to avoid the players can't decide if in EL everything is insanely difficult to achieve or all the server code it's seriously bugged. Many valuable players (the ones who buy items in the shop) left EL already and some more are selling now their chars and storage to leave asap, creating more problems like rising prices, etc (but that it's another matter that I won't deal with in this post).

If knowing how much time will need for breaking a specific item is soooo technically difficult, Wizzy wrote down a solution: Every possible way to break an item counts to do the breaking quests (break by fighting a mob or a player, BROD golden star mace or any items that degrade, acid rain, break by Heavybeard or Tankel trying to repair it....). As I see it, Radu wants many players play the game and spend money in EL and the players want fun playing it, not problems . Let's make happy to Radu and EL players at the same time: breaking more easily the players will be happy, some gc will leave EL with that broken armors/weapons and with less gc in the game the chance the players use $$$ to buy more items will be higher.

Well, no, we do not agree the breaking quest has problems.

I don't agree, and to me it seems Rosabel doesn't either. (Nor do I see anything in Wizzy's or Maxine's post that they think there's a problem with that quest).

Also, a few players complaining about something (and so far I see only one player stating he thinks this quest has/is a problem) does NOT mean that that particular part of the game should be changed, however much they scream about it.

As for removal of gc from the game: the only way gc would leave the game through broken armours would be through buying those armours from NPC, something you want to see removed...

Edited by revi

To be honest I am split on this quest. It is one of the few quests that are actually difficult to complete. On the other hand it can be so incredibly random and that is a huge deterant for many players. I don't know a better way to balance the quests within current game mechanics. Pretty much every change people have suggested with these quests makes them trivial to complete.

Well, no, we do not agree the breaking quest has problems.

I don't agree, and to me it seems Rosabel doesn't either. (Nor do I see anything in Wizzy's or Maxine's post that they think there's a problem with that quest).

Also, a few players complaining about something (and so far I see only one player stating he thinks this quest has/is a problem) does NOT mean that that particular part of the game should be changed, however much they scream about it.

As for removal of gc from the game: the only way gc would leave the game through broken armours would be through buying those armours from NPC, something you want to see removed...

Point 1.- As always, revi says the opposite of everything I say... Prolly If I say "white" he/she would say "black" :inquisitive:

Well, as I know I'm not paranoid and heard in the public channels there are more players with problems to break items for the quests I did a small search in my logs and found some paragraphs about this:

[17:51:20] [Littlebig @ 6]: I have still ti pants undoe, i tried soon 1 year break them and i wear them all the time, also now doing yetis

[21:14:59] [Aquila @ 6]: the perk seemed so random on the breaks. at least with the cloak, you can still do break quests

[21:15:37] [Tradon @ 6]: +1 Aquila

[21:16:23] [Angler @ 6]: well, you can still do the breaks quest with the perk. might take a tad longer tho ;)

[21:17:32] [Aquila @ 6]: I had the perk took 2 years to break steel chain and ti chain, removed it and broke both in a few months

[19:22:59] [Aquila @ 6]: steel armor and a halby, living on the edge today. astro is bad too

[19:24:21] [Harlquin_Knight @ 6]: what is the advantage of sttel plate over titanium?, i thought tit was less emu and stronger

[19:24:31] [dragon_killer @ 6]: other way

[19:24:42] [dragon_killer @ 6]: i mean better armor but heavier

[19:24:43] [Aquila @ 6]: ikd, just trying break this stuff

[11:51:12] [Raz @ 6]: ooh another day in which to fail to break anything

[17:19:38] [Raz @ 6]: lol well all i broke on the break day were 2 bones

[17:20:49] [susje @ 6]: I had the best astro for breaking, was training all this #day and nothing broke. Something must be done with breaking quest

[17:21:06] [Raz @ 6]: shit - I agree with susje!

The fact you and rosabel don't see any problem with it doesn't mean that EVERYBODY think the same as you.

Point 2.- You put words in my mouth that I haven't said. I don't want the NPCs don't sell any items. I want the NPCs sell items BUT NOT CHEAPER THAN THE INGS FOR MIXING THEM. The NPCs can be money sinks without ruining the life of players who have mixer chars.

The steel and titanium armors actually are not profitable to mix from ings because the prices in the NPCs, and happens the same with most of special weapons.

If any way of breaking items counts for the quests, the breaking would be random still because a BROD doesn't break an item in the first hit (by example) nor the blacksmiths break a 100% of every item they try to repair. At least with more ways to break the items, the randomness would be acceptable. Some months or years training for breaking 1 item without skeptic perk, without NMT perk, taking advantage of more grief #days and with the best astro for breaking is too much randomness (or a bug in the code, I don't know it).

Point 2.- You put words in my mouth that I haven't said. I don't want the NPCs don't sell any items. I want the NPCs sell items BUT NOT CHEAPER THAN THE INGS FOR MIXING THEM. The NPCs can be money sinks without ruining the life of players who have mixer chars.

The steel and titanium armors actually are not profitable to mix from ings because the prices in the NPCs, and happens the same with most of special weapons.

(...)

So, what you are saying is:

"NPC's should sell above ingredients price, so mixers can mix with a profit"?

In that case, mixers should be able to sell below NPC price (otherwise there's still no reason to mix such items except for personal use)

So, why should anyone buy from NPC if mixers are cheaper?

But if no one buys from NPC, there is no gold sink...

Your argument that the break quest would work as a gold sink fails,

unless players buy from NPC. Which you want to end by increasing NPC prices.

well tbh (as i see 'em) this quests are long terms run that goes through all your el life (maybe month, maybe few years or never :P) from beginning which gives you some benefits at the end (we all knows which ones). you are not supposed to get this quest as fast as possible or be guaranteed to have :P
if it was designed to just sink your precious items then npc could just take out you armor/weapons and give you perks, but again its long term quests..

and for those who so impatient why not ask to add new perk that increases breakage like 5x times but with expensive removal 50$ (requires 140+ oa to get this perk.. so #reset won't be abused :P) this way works well for everyone :P instead of changing something..

ofc it's posible to add stats per quest piece, but then no luck factor involved.. :>

btw completed all break quests :P just be patience and do it right way.. my advice just go back to training, not just dailies way..

Your argument that the break quest would work as a gold sink fails,

unless players buy from NPC. Which you want to end by increasing NPC prices.

You can tell whatever you want, but the facts are there: Breaking quests are money sinks and that is a fact because steel and titanium sets, and most of special weapons are cheaper in the NPCs (and will be money sinks in the future except if the prices of bindings, serpent stones, enrichment stones, enriched essies, etc crash in the market or Radu changes the prices). Both things (prices falling or Radu lowering them) are unlikely so will be gold sinks in the future.

Edited by Susje

[susje @ 6]: I had the best astro for breaking, was training all this #day and nothing broke. Something must be done with breaking quest

You break armor when you have are dodging at a lower rate than the "neutral" rate and *not* when items have more chance to break so train on bad defense astro days.

Another choice is the special #day when monsters have higher a/d because you are simulating a constant defense penalty for your character. I believe this one works best if you are willing to train for 6 hours.

I am locking this thread on the grounds it has gone off topic. It is a break quest topic, NOT a thread about NPC prices AGAIN!