Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
idefix

PK Server Competition

My idea is that there could be an event that would be fun to play, different from the "normal gameplay" and rewarding at the same time. Also, I think everyone should start with an equal chance of winning, i.e. everyone starts on the same line.

The competition would take place on a Tournament Server, which is basically the same as the PK Server. The competition would be played out on this separate server, and everyone starts with a new character. The rewards for the winners would be given to the winners' main accounts, however, instead of these new characters on the Tournament Server.

The format could be as follows:

1. Start with an empty server with PK server rules, and everyone can join ($5 entry fee, just like PK Server).

2. Competition lasts e.g. for 1 month. During this time, players try to become as strong as possible by training and gearing up.

3. After this 1 month, there will be a PK tournament. Top X players in the tournament win prizes. Prizes could be shop items (rostos), top level gear and/or PPs. These would be rewarded to the main account instead of PK Server account.

As an additional or alternative idea, there could also be a Team PK Tournament, which would encourage more teamplay. Players could join in teams of 5. This would encourage people to play together instead of the server being completely "every man for himself".

Server should maybe only be limited to C1, especially if the amount of contestants is not that many.

Would anyone else be interested in something like this?

Wizzy did something like this on main server ~9 months ago. The contest lasted 2 weeks and had a total of 9 participants. It was a fun experiment but there are a few things we learned from it.

1. People who no-life the contest get a significant advantage.

2. People who spend $$$ get a significant advantage.

3. People who have huge storage assets are at an advantage.

A few changes I think would make the contest better by mitigating some of these advantages. Since it takes place on a separate server, we can play with initial conditions a bit:

1. All players start at 30 a/d.

2. All players start with all magic sigils.

3. Everyone starts with 100kgc in storage.

We can also play with economy/npcs:

1. Binding stones, rostogol stones, serpent stones, enrichment stones, sold at npc (10k each).

2. Mirror/bp/nmt/warlock capes are sold at an npc (10k each).

3. Diss rings sold at npc (1k each...yes 1k each :P).

4. Day stones sold at npc (50k each).

As far as the start time goes, I think it would be better to open server on a Monday, then have the pk contest on Sunday. The 2 week contest felt really long and gave the no-lifers a huge advantage. Limiting the contest to one Monday-Sunday stretch should help with this. Players should be able to pay a few haidir passes or rostogol stones or something on main to create a character on the tournament server (ideally automated process).

RM

Edit: Link to wizzy's contest: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60058

Edited by Rabbitman

Do you really need a new server (which I doubt Radu would want to create) for this, or could it be done on the existing PK server? You couldn't setup all the NPC stuff as described above (it would be stock as it is on the PK server), but you might be able to do something with the Guild NPCs in WSC. Since it's a separate server it would be pretty easy to limit what store items could be purchased on that server to reduce the advantage by those with more disposable income.

Hmm a 1 week contest sounds interesting, it would definitely mean that the level gap between players would be smaller which would equal to more balanced tournament in the end. The reason I thought 1 month was that it would take a while to get your other skills up, e.g. it could be possible to gain an equipment advantage by training manu.

I don't agree with giving easy access to rostos and other rare stuff in the game. To be honest, I think it'd be interesting if there were no rostos at all on the Tournament Server. Would make PKing (raiding training spots) profitable, as you would be able to steal other players' items and thus disrupt their training for a longer time if they needed to craft new gear etc.

Yes I suppose the existing PK server could be used. The reason why I suggested a new server was that you would not be able to use existing gear, or help your new character with an old character in any way.

A new server would mean that radu would have make one available.

I don't know how that is arranged currently, but that might involve serious dollars and a longer

preparation time (or it could be as simple as starting another copy of the PK or main server, no idea).

In any case, It is something to discuss with him before going too far with the planning, I think.

The reason why I suggested a new server was that you would not be able to use existing gear, or help your new character with an old character in any way.

They've been watching for illegal trades on the main server for YEARS (until using alts was made legal). It should be easy to monitor that on the PK server for a week or so and ban any participants who broke the rules.

But you're correct, you'd want all participants to start from the same point and have the same level playing field during char development.

For example, I'd be happy to shut down my trade bot on the PK server for a week or so if the rules called for no bot sales (only NPCs).

If you make it impossible to log on to existing characters, there is already another server for this: the test server :)

Easily accomplished by doing a server wipe for the duration of the contest, then doing a fresh copy from main after the contest is done.

It would be nice to see the PK server a 'tad' more active.

To be honest I thought the PK server was dead and offline already. Didn't realise someone still might play there...

Edited by idefix

To be honest I thought the PK server was dead and offline already. Didn't realise someone still might play there...

Not dead, just a low population (but them main ain't that great either anymore). Everyone there likes it a LOT more than main (which is why we're all still there).