Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maxine

wearing/using gear you do not have the nexus for

When a player resets, they can end up wearing/using gear they do not have the nexus for.

My suggestion is to make any gear used/worn for which you do not meet the requirements not have any effect in combat. Thus a reset char cannot keep wearing their dragon armor, or if they do, they risk breaking it without getting any benefit from it. It would still work for radiation or heat/cold protection/penalty, since these are not combat related.

If this has become an issue, code-wise it might be simpler* for the server to check what's being worn when a Human removal or Reset is done, and send an error message saying removal of the equipment is required first if it's too high. The reset/removal won't work until the necessary equipped items are unequipped. Thus just preventing wearing anything above allowed at all.

*Since there should already be a subroutine in place for gear/Human requirement checking that could be re-used.

(This doesn't handle the second-hand axe issue in Bugs forum, but those need a nexus change anyway to go along with the changes to their undamaged counterparts.)

The Red Dragon Armor you do not have evaporates into the ether.

That is fine as long as NPC/reset command warns you of consequences.

You could make it such that your char could not move until you removed the over-nexus item (similar to how you can't move if you end up with more stuff than your EMU can carry).

Well, if it is such a problem that it happens... Even though they will almost always end up taking it off or losing it at one point or another.... Rewrite the code a bit for auto-unequip. But other than that, it seems that this wasn't considered when the code was written, or even fter all these years, maybe the coders for EL just don't think it is a big issue, compared to the other things?

Well, the game has changed over the years, and in a large part due to allowing multiplay.

Now it is possible to create a character, and equip it with top gear from lvl 1 onwards.

Given how cheap the low levels are (using the different daily quests) I could imagine

creating a char, get it to Human 4-7 asap, equip, reset rebuild using dailies and have

it fight/afk train etc. without 'wasting' human nexus at low a/d.

I think I like Learner's suggestion to drop the over-nexus stuff on a reset:

simplest to code:

- for each equipment slot,

- if (equiped item needs more than current nexus) then drop( item)

(no need to check to emu/free slots)

And if you can't be bothered to pay attention and remove over-nexus items, too bad.

You'll still be standing on the bag with the dropped items, so it's not as if you lose the

dropped items just through that reset/nexus removal.

Edited by revi

Personally, I'd have the server Drop the offending item!

Or a simple error message blocking the reset "One or more equipped items require human nexus. Unequip them and try again".

I don't see how this is a hot issue in the game. Imo there are a lot of other things that could be finished, tweaked, that make more sense than "fixing" this. The only room for "abuse" is having a harvester character with a holam or a col. You just can't get away with training a defense build without human nexus.

Getting this "fixed" would be just another way to annoy harvesters.

Edited by Rosabel

I don't see how this is a hot issue in the game. Imo there are a lot of other things that could be finished, tweaked, that make more sense than "fixing" this. The only room for "abuse" is having a harvester character with a holam or a col. You just can't get away with training a defense build without human nexus.

Getting this "fixed" would be just another way to annoy harvesters.

Why would it annoy harvesters that are not trying to get around a game restriction?

For the others (those that do use a reset to use CoL for their harvester alt w/o investing PP in Human nexus): I'd consider that exploiting a bug, with all the consequences that entails. And this possibility means another annoyance for the genuine new player, who would be disadvantaged again (and this time through abuse of a game bug by experienced players)

As for it not being a hot issue: every suggestion here gets at least one response like "there are more important issues than xxx".Going that way mean nothing will ever get fixed: there will always be another issue that is more important for at least some players...

And do keep in mind that for every issue there are at least two factors to consider:

- importance of the issue; and

- cost of fixing it (in coding time, watching for side effects of a proposed change, etc.).

So this issue might not rank top place, but it looks rather easy to fix

Edited by revi

well i do not think anyone with a harvesting alt abuses this issue. When you are rich enough to get alt(s) started up, you are rich enough to get it past the cheaper quests, and have it do at least the haidir/daritha dailies. that will get your harvesting alt quickly up to a level where it has enough emu and human nexus. When you only level one character though, from scratch, it's pretty hard. Having that holam on not to have to go to storage every 5 minutes because you need to heal up is a huge help imo. I never considered this an exploit before, i figured the nexus is for the act of equipping an item. I have had my holam stuck on me when i started for like a half day, before i needed to take it off to do the daily quests.

When a player resets, they can end up wearing/using gear they do not have the nexus for.

My suggestion is to make any gear used/worn for which you do not meet the requirements not have any effect in combat. Thus a reset char cannot keep wearing their dragon armor, or if they do, they risk breaking it without getting any benefit from it. It would still work for radiation or heat/cold protection/penalty, since these are not combat related.

Correct me if I'm wrong but heat, rad and cold IS combat related, iirc thermal does shit damage vs dragon armor but good against steel, radio active rapier does good against dragon armor but doesnt do damage against steel etc. Was one of the reasons why radioactive rapier came to the game, we kept bitching about how we do no damage vs dragon armor.

You could make it such that your char could not move until you removed the over-nexus item (similar to how you can't move if you end up with more stuff than your EMU can carry).

^This

And this

well i do not think anyone with a harvesting alt abuses this issue. When you are rich enough to get alt(s) started up, you are rich enough to get it past the cheaper quests, and have it do at least the haidir/daritha dailies. that will get your harvesting alt quickly up to a level where it has enough emu and human nexus. When you only level one character though, from scratch, it's pretty hard. Having that holam on not to have to go to storage every 5 minutes because you need to heal up is a huge help imo. I never considered this an exploit before, i figured the nexus is for the act of equipping an item. I have had my holam stuck on me when i started for like a half day, before i needed to take it off to do the daily quests.

Since when can a new player afford a Holam, I was glad my friends helped me get a harvest cloak :P

You know, I didn't mean new player as in someone who started that day, or week, but let's say who has been playing up to a month. Having a holam really helps with harvesting. Yes, it takes a lot of time for newbies to get the 50k (now 70k?) to buy their holam, but it's worth it just to eliminate the annoyance of having to get back to storage before you fill your inventory. It's even more useful since chances are you are going to reset at least once if you are a truly new player. (you know, once you get the hang of the game or get advice on spending pickpoints from others, or perhaps to get rid of excavator perk once you bought your own cloak)

Sorry, but for me, still being able to use an item that requires nexus after a reset (and before you get the

nexus again) is a bug. So using that to keep items equiped and usable over a reset is exploiting a bug as

described in rule 21... Final word on this is of course radu's.

And the issue is not whether being able to wear e.g. rholam after a reset is useful. Of course it is useful

to keep on wearing and using nexus-requiring items after you don't have the nexus anymore...

The whole advantage for a harvester alt is exactly those 4PP that can go into phys or coord, adding emu,

instead of putting them in human nexus. 4 PP are not really a problem at low OA, but reaching 60-70 OA?

A truly new player would probably also want to try out different skills, like fighting. How long would the helm

last in a fight? So the advantage of using rholam or whatever after reset is rather short-lived for a new player.

Less so for someone who can have dedicated chars that only harvest and mix.

"The whole advantage for a harvester alt is exactly those 4PP that can go into phys or coord, adding emu,

instead of putting them in human nexus. 4 PP are not really a problem at low OA, but reaching 60-70 OA?

A truly new player would probably also want to try out different skills, like fighting. How long would the helm

last in a fight? So the advantage of using rholam or whatever after reset is rather short-lived for a new player.

Less so for someone who can have dedicated chars that only harvest and mix."

A player who has not been around too long has basically 2 options to gather coins: harvest and sell, harvest, mix it up and sell and buy from EL shop. While the latter is good for the game, not everyone has enough cash to just survive on that in EL. For harvesting, you need physique and coordination, the more the merrier. Getting 88 pickpoints to max those is not easy though. And it goes slower the lower your levels are, as dailies are the things that make reset really fast for the veterans. (and skill schools, which are laregely only practical to high levels as well) Having the extra health and the mana can be a big boon to a harvester, so they are able to have more health and mana and get back to full emu a bit faster. If someone only fights, the first thing they do is take 7 human nexus anyway. If they are newbies, they will get 3-4, depending how/what they train. (I'd say they'd want steel shield and titani um short at least) I agree that this can be an exploit, then again it's up for Radu to decide.

On the other hand, many of us have worn an RDHoLaM when resetting. This has gone on for years... and with main characters, not just alts. It's never been a secret. I've never thought of it as exploiting a bug before though., And I don't think it's as important an issue as the length of this thread seems to indicate. But if Radu would like to stop this, so be it; it would be simple enough for him to do, if he so chooses.

Reading this it seems like every other char is doing this, is it really that bad?

Personally I thought this was one of those "features" when I did it. Was several years ago and it was well known, it was talked about long before I did my reset too.