Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sgik

Please give better warnings before removing peace day

I joined at 14:58:03 local time, and radu removed Peace Day at 15:14:14, 16 minutes later, with no intervening warning. It's possible that he posted a warning before I signed on, but he should have posted warnings at five minutes and one minute before he removed the day, to give those people who recently signed on time to get to safety.

Radu gave a long notice he was changing the day, from my chat log:

[11:49:32] #Message from radu: The day will be changed in ~10 minutes

[12:14:13] #Message from radu: Sorry, removing the day now

25 mins, is a fair warning. I am sorry if you were caught in the interm, but he did warn everyone.

R

25 mins, is a fair warning. I am sorry if you were caught in the interm, but he did warn everyone.

... except for people who signed on after the warnings.

My suggestion is that he post five minutes and one minute before he removes Peace Day. The same suggestion applies to No-drops Day, as well. (It's very unlikely that a person who signs on between a one-minute warning and the day removal will get himself/herself into a dangerous situation.)

An alternate solution is to have a "message of the day" that prints to the console when a person signs on. This could be used for lots of other things, as well ("new treasure" announcements, lottery winner, etc.).

/teh_master info

That is all...

Teh_master is useful and helpful when I remember to PM him, but there is a genuine need that's been highlighted in this thread, and PMing a bot that can break/disconnect doesn't seem to me like an elegant solution to the need, even if it is a half-way adequate one. I think Sgik's idea of (a) message(s) of the day shown automatically at login would be a more appropriate and more effective solution.

Wizzy: Please don't bother responding to any of my posts, because all I see is:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Wizzy.

Aren't you making a big thing about something that is basically harmless most of the time?

Also, removal of such a day should not be unexpected for a long time player (which OP certainly is): days that are felt as bad are often removed, either through a stone (if possible, and then without warning!) or by radu. And good luck getting those that use stones to announce the removal...

That said, having the server give the last (few) broadcast or server messages on request could be a nice option. That still would not remove the need for teh_master, though. I'd rather not see that as an automatic thing on startup, to keep the spam down: we already have #il, special day and global quest.

Guess I'll shut up as well then, when Sgik is posting. Rather arrogant to ask someone to stop posting because 'you' don't want to see his/her replies

I'm simply advising him/her not to waste his/her time responding to me, because I can't see what he/she posted. No arrogance, just being helpful.

P.S. Peace Day is not a bad day. Removing bad days has no negative effects that I can think of, whereas removing Peace Day (or No-drop Day) does. Therefore, more frequent warnings should be given before removing those days.

Edited by sgik

Well, you may not see this, but others certainly will

If you do not like PM'ing a bot for up-to-date info, then go fuck yourself. There is no requirement for Mods, to give ANY warning at all. Though we do this out of the kindness of our hearts to try to be fair to players.

Someone, be a lamb, and quote this for Mr Sgik

lol WIzzy you are awesome and we need you back more

Well, you may not see this, but others certainly will

If you do not like PM'ing a bot for up-to-date info, then go fuck yourself. There is no requirement for Mods, to give ANY warning at all. Though we do this out of the kindness of our hearts to try to be fair to players.

Someone, be a lamb, and quote this for Mr Sgik

I think asking to have a 5 min and 1 min notice is not a bad idea, but considering that radu's 10 minutes lasted 25 in this case, might not have been too effective.

Typically when a warning like the one radu gave is posted and I have a buddy log on, I immediately warn them. If you have a bot in guild that announces your logon, your guildies can do this too. Having friends or guildies warn you is probably more reliable, but of course does require that you have friends and/or guildies :P

Please note that someone has changed the title to this post. The current title is not the original one. I'd change it back, but I don't know how. Note that I agree with the current title, in that I would not like Wizzy to warn me of pending day changes, because I am ignoring him in-game also, and thus would not receive any such warning. However, besides being grammatically incorrect, I consider the current title to be abusive, which is against forum rules.

Unlike some people, I obey the forum rules, or I don't post at all.

In case the title changes again, it was originally "Please give better warnings before removing peace day". It is now "Please give better warnings before removing peace day, Except for Wizzy, I don't like what he has to say".

Edited by sgik