Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

New Unofficial Tab Maps - BurnedMaps

Wonderful maps, just one tiny criticism, I find the storages hard to find (would be difficult if I was I new player and didn't know where to look) can the markers for these be made a little larger

Agreed, I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out, but the brown star does kind of seem to blend in with the background on a lot of maps. Also happened to notice that AA sto isn't marked on the version 2 set.

These are really excellent work, Burn, thanks for putting in the time to do this.

Z

Inside storages are particularly difficult to find

Version 1.9.4-003 has just been released: http://life-is-eternal.blogspot.com/p/burned-maps-unofficial-eternal-lands.html

Two sample maps can be seen at the link as well.

1.9.4-003 Release Notes:

This release primarily to improve legibility in smaller client windows

- Complete overhaul of text size/fonts. Should now be legible in smaller client windows.

- Sales NPCs (Tavern, gen store, etc.) given appropriately colored text and marks.

- Improved markings of PK, schools, arena, fast read, fast regen for better visibility in smaller client windows.

- Darkened a bit more for better text legibility.

- Larger mineral/ore markings for smaller client window visibility.

- Improved legend.dds legibility

Edited by Burn

Wow what an improvement! Thank you so much! I'm on 1024 x 600 and it looks great. I can read everything. The storage brown text color improvement is very good as well.

Whatever you did fixed the map legends for me, it's working with these new maps. Thanks.

Edited by Cyrrast

Traditionally I've used the Olivine map-pack. I'm also a small EL window user, with my large size set at 800x600 and my small size being 640x480 (I've always got a client open on each server, plus other stuff going on in my browser).

The fonts used are very readable. I think mixed case is easier to read THAN ALL CAPS ON THE MAP, but perhaps the small letters on mixed case would get too small to read on the smaller window sizes.

I do miss the marks for the teleport and ring landing locations, but I don't know how truly useful those are and if they're worth the additional clutter.

I find the stars markings hard to see on the small maps. I think the circle with a black edge as used on the Olivine maps are a lot easier to see.

The map legend seems a little cluttered to me (again compared to what I'm used to) but that's personal preference.

Does the map-pack include the two continent maps? I'm seeing the standard EL ones and I miss having the map names on there.

Anyway, it's a find job and I really appreciate having a supported and up-to-date set of maps available. Thanks.

Can be found in the changelog included in the zip:

Future-Release To-Do:
- Full Seridia and Irilion click-maps
- Ring and Portal entrance marks
- Detailed naming of areas on maps
- Fire Pits

Mixed case will make it unreadable again. Several hours went into just determining the best font, size and style.

A Legend includes relevant information, less "clutter" = less info. I won't do less info.

I won't do less info.

Not wanting to keep making comparisons to other map packs, but I was actually thinking MORE info in a nice clean list as done elsewhere.

A Legend includes relevant information, less "clutter" = less info. I won't do less info.

Very true.. You could nuke (or greatly reduce) the word 'Legend' though. It's pretty unnecessary and it takes up as much space as 3 lines of real info.

Z

once again thank you Burn, (from me and Loupie), a very nice update to some excellent mappage, very useful esp the interiors such as the tg mage school.

Thank you for the new maps Burn,

You might take a look here : http://www.fonts.com/content/learning/fontology/level-4/fine-typography/legibility

for a basic rundown on what makes fonts legible vs readable.

Bolded text is rarely the best option, being elegant, legible and readable is an art, however varying resolutions make this difficult.

Oh, and never use Comic Sans, unless you want to be running a lemonade stand.

Hello Burn, thanks again for the maps update.
I've heard from a couple people that anything other than the old BloodSucker maps won't load for them. Olivine's maps don't work in EL, neither do yours. After some tinkering, I sent a friend with issues a map exported as 1024x1024 in size (same size as the old BS maps that I have) and compressed using BC1/DXT1 compression in GIMP, which solved the problem. The size of the file was 512kb in comparison with 1mb+.
I'm wondering if you would be willing to export your maps as a batch using these settings to offer a low res set for people with this issue?

Been busy with a lot of other stuff so these have taken a back seat, but planning to spend a lot of time this weekend getting stuff done for the next update. Hopefully have a new release out in the coming week.

Sizes: Had to study dds as this is the only place I use it. I dunno why Olivine's were specifically 2133x2133, but I'd selected 1536x1536 out of math calculated based on the available sizes of maps tile-wise in the game. But dds has its quirks and yes, looks like while they'll work for many, for others possibly with older systems the maps would have to be 512x512, or 1024x1024.

I can't make any guarantees but I'm working on the scripting that automatically generates my maps so it can produce maps of any size from 512 up to even 7680x7680 (not that I'd release such a beast, heh). May not necessarily be immediately on release but once the script is complete I'll release a 1024 version.

Coming in the next pack:

- The missing full Irilion and Seridia click-maps

- Ring-in and Beam-in spots marked on maps

- Tweaked colors for PK-school-fast regen-etc. areas (particularly noticeable on full PK maps such as Thelinor and II)

- Improved graphic marks and text

Minor fixes:

- Fixed incorrect marks on TG Magic School map

- Fixed incorrect mark on PV Magic School map

- Imbroglio Islands - Several incorrectly marked maze entrances fixed

- EVTR insides of alch school principal back room (building "A") mark leads to building "B" (was marked as leading to EVTR)

- Added mark for returning to Ruins of Tirnym on Tirnym Past map

- Added missing Glacmor Magic Shop entrance mark

- Added missing mark for Trassian Magic Arena entrance

- Irsis House "P" entrance mark fixed (incorrectly marked as "B")

- Nordcarn magic shop mark fixed (was marked as a flower shop)

- Nordcarn "Glilin Temple" mark spelling fixed

- Ruins of Tirnym and Tirnym Past maps - "Tirnym" spelling fixed

- Ruins of Tirnym - cave to past mark leading to further building fixed to "PE" (was "TE")

- NRM main map volcano graphic fill-in improved

- Replaced "PK" image on PV map mini arena with current version (still had -001 version)

Edited by Burn

Okay, it looks like I should be able to get a 1024x1024 release done, based on what's finished. In fact, I may just release those first, with a higher def version only if there's "demand" for it.

Aiming for a Sunday release, still have plenty to do, but that date's not in stone.

Download 1.9.4-004 Release Here!

Version 1.9.4-004 is released today!

Two samples can be seen on the download page.

What's new?

- Switched to 1024x1024 file size, which *should* work for those who kept getting white screens instead of maps

- Full Seridia and Irilion click maps have finally been added!

- Ring-in and Beam-in spots are now marked

- Improved graphics in many places

- Improved coordinate line marks

- Multiple exit/entrance spots had missing or incorrect texts fixed.

And more... full changelog is on the download page.

Version 1.9.4-004 is released today!

Very nice. I like all the changes I see. Thanks for doing this (I know it's a lot of work).

Noticed that thelinor store is marked wrong, icon for it in wrong place

WHY have you not marked the stores that dont work! several are unoccupied.

Edited by caladina

Something new is coming...

When 1.9.5 client is released, there will be TWO different BurnedMaps unofficial tab map packs available for it.

1- The normal package, looks like the current 1.9.4 maps but updated for 1.9.5

2- A new "minimal" package. This was created primarily for the next Android release, but I'm making it available for download for use in all clients.

Basically put, it's the same map with all the markings, but text has been removed except for map exits and other important things.

Here's a sample of 1.9.5 Idaloran to compare them: https://i.imgur.com/dXLPybB.jpg

As you can see, the map is generally cleaner in the minimal version, but you can still see marks where every building entrance and NPC is, and things like shops and storage still have their colored circles (NPC) or stars (entrance).

Smaller screens (like Android phones/tablets) will benefit from less text cluttering the map. Those who don't need all that info or want to rely on your own marks may prefer the minimal version as well. Those who prefer knowing every little (non-secret) detail should stick to the original pack. ;)

Both will be made available, and continue to be supported, so it'll just be a matter of which you prefer, and you can switch whenever you wish.

Edited by Burn

On 5/13/2018 at 3:49 PM, caladina said:

Is it possible in the new client to be able to open the map of the opposite continent also, so you can open either one from any where

Thanks

No.