Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

1.9.4 Release Candidate - Download Here!

Below are links to download the RELEASE CANDIDATE for the 1.9.4 client.

(Win/Mac builds are by Sir_Odie, Linux static builds done by bluap)

EXPERIENCED USERS ONLY. If you don't know what you're doing, you could screw up your el data or installation.

MAC USERS:

Mac Download: http://www.eternal-lands.com/EL-MAC-1.9.4-RC.zip

and install. It should not have any effect on your current client, and when run it will take you directly to the Test server.

LINUX / WINDOWS users: Please follow instructions very carefully.

1. DO NOT use these builds on the main server, or PK server. Use them on the Test Server only!

(In the same respect, it's best not to use your current client on Test server.)

2. Make a backup copy of both your current EL client folder, and the EL data folder (which contains your screenshots, counters, chat logs, etc.)

If you don't know where to find these, you didn't pass the "experienced users only" requirement at the top. ;-)

3. Download the correct package for your computer (Right-click > Save as...):

Windows users: http://www.eternal-lands.com/EL-1.9.4-RC.zip

Linux 32-bit (i686): http://www.eternal-lands.com/EL-1.9.4RC-i686.tar.gz

Linux 64-bit (x86_64): http://www.eternal-lands.com/EL-1.9.4RC-x86_64.tar.gz

4. Overwrite your current client with this client.
(Did you do step 2? You *must* backup your current client? You will need that backup to return to the main or PK servers.)

5. Run the command you'd use to access the Test server.
(The binary followed by the word test, i.e. "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\el.exe" test )

For the moment, we are primarily testing that the client works. Spend some time exploring, mixing, kicking critters, whatever on test.

Yes, the new buildings, caves, and other things are on the Test server, and yes, you can access them on the Test server with this release candidate.

No, I'm not directly telling where they are. It's up to radu if/when those get posted. I'll say that all new locations (barring one small returned house in WS) are on C2 insides for now. The majority is not "secret", but for the moment some may wish to try and find new stuff on their own.

Some server updates (spawn changes, NPC changes, and such) are not done yet. Once the client is deemed workable, radu will update Test with those changes. They mostly affect new or re-added locations.

TO RETURN TO THE MAIN SERVER: Backup the above-installed RC client to another directory (so you can just copy it back when you want to try the RC again later). Replace it with your current client which you backed up in step 2, and as well overwrite your data files with the backups you made of those.

Data files are very sensitive, keep the ones you use on Main backed up and separate.

And again, do not use this RC on the main server. They have very different data files, particularly maps, and will cause you many problems.

SUPPORT/ISSUES: If there's a definite issue with the client, please post it here. Channel 6 on Test server will be monitored for general discussion, and if you find new locs you don't necessarily need to keep them secret yourself. You can bring up an issue on the channel as well, however any real issues should be posted here so they won't get lost in chat there.

INVADERS: There are a handful of invaders. They are located in a new spot, and you'll be safe from them even if you enter, so don't worry about running into them.

Edited by Burn

Okay, I'll give something to start with for new stuff to look for. This is only a start, there's more on other maps.

Irinveron - There's something new on the main map, and a new place in the caves

Channel 6 on Test server is the place to go to chat with other Testers, general questions, and such.

I'll be on and monitoring it whenever I'm home and awake. ;-)

But always post real issues with the client and such here.

There should be no special preparations needed for the MAC RC. It's a complete client that connects directly to the testserver and should not interfere with the 'normal' EL client.

HOLES IN THE GROUND

If you're seeing these, the problem is on your side.

These are being spotted by Win/Linux users who tried to install separately instead of the way stated above.

If you are falling into "holes" in the maps, your setup is done incorrectly, and even if you're using the new binary, your el.ini both in the binary's directory and possibly where your counters and such are still point to the 1.9.3 data path and you're seeing 1.9.3 maps when the server is letting you walk on 1.9.4 maps.

TAB Maps

You can put unofficial maps (Olivine, Bloodsucker, etc.) into your maps folder for the RC.

They'll work just as before, except they of course don't have new places on them so you'll still have to click-walk around in those.

How Do I Know If I'm Seeing the Updated Maps?

- Go to Irinveron [260,532]. If you're seeing a fence there (which isn't there on main server), you're seeing the new maps.

(If you start falling into random holes on the way there, you know you've set things up wrong. You won't fall in holes that aren't there if you have the correct map setup.)

BTW, the Test Server currently has a high #il number. This is due to testing of the new C2 global invasion system. Don't worry, only shy rats and invaders capped too low to attack anyone get used for these tests. You're safe to walk around and explore for new stuff.

Just some of the new places you can look for: http://i.imgur.com/nb7vuLm.jpg

Some, not close to all. ;-)

Come help test and join in on the hunt fun on channel 6. You'll be the envy of EL! (Okay, not really, but help test anyway. The more who test, the faster it goes, the sooner we get this thing live!)

Testing is complete, and has been successful. Only some very minor "cosmetic" issues reported that were quick fixes, absolutely nothing of a nature that would stop a release.

So here's hoping we'll be seeing the 1.9.4 client shortly!

In the meantime, the Release Candidate should continue to be used (only) on the Test server.

(For anyone who separate-installed a release candidate, once 1.9.4 is released you can delete that.)

Edited by Burn

We are going to have a server update tomorrow morning (Europe time). Then after this update, I'll start preparing the final 1.9.4 client and we should have a client/server update in about 2 weeks.

Hi radu,

thanks for the new and schedule *gets all excited :-)*

will this server update have any impact on the accessibility of current map locations already?

(since the new client will only ship in ~ 2 weeks, I'm not assuming it will, just making sure)

Thanks for the clarification,

Gwaew

radu clarified ingame - thanks radu :-)

So everyone will profit from the information, here it is:

this server update is not going to change the maps, it will only change when the client update is coming in 2 weeks or so.