Eternal Lands Official Forums
Finja

Bring back the fun

Dear gods,

please bring back fun and excitment to EL.

I am very frustrated with the current situation in EL. The game is becoming increasingly boring. The chat channels are dead and nothing fun and entertaining happens anymore.

The only break in the daily routine are radus somewhat regular invasions for one level range. In these I usually can't play because I am either not in the appropriate lvl range or they are to hard for me. They are designed for the top characters in each bracket and as a player without lots of bought pickpoints it is usually way above my limits. Same goes for characters with a (partial) mixer build and everyone who isn't heavily negged out.

But I remember that it doesn't have to be like that. Not to long ago we used to have a multitude of different invasion types. Several mods used to entertain us with their own style of invasion. There was something for everyone.

- The portal invasions spread all over C2 with all kinds of mobs from super easy to extremely tough.

- The global multi map multi cap invasions with only a few safe maps, where pretty much every player could find a place to fight appropriate for their abilities. Multiple waves ensured that people always had something to do, but didn't get overwhelmed.

- Hidden invasions with many many hideouts filled with easy mobs up to really mean beasts. Not just 2-3 different locations that are either for the top players or a boring farmfest. Sometimes really well hidden so only those with secret knowledge could find them, sometimes in more common caves and places, sometimes both mixed together.

- Multi-wave invasions in small remote places like deepstone caverns or tirnym past. Out of the way, so people who weren't interested could go on with their business, but lasting an entire evening, increasing in strength so everyone had a chance to play.

- Or the epic clusterfucks. Like the red dragon lair packed with dragons so you could barely walk, but had to clear them all to get to the rewarding casty/bulas. Or like the Imbroglio Island path to the fluffy cave filled with ice dragons. And once you cleared them you found the cave filled up too and were forced to kill them all to be able to fight the bosses...

- And of course the single map, single cap invasions with multiple waves, increasing in strengths...

That is just to name a few of the possibilities.

There were so many different versions of an invasion that anyone could find something they liked. Sure, not everyone likes portal or hidden invasions. But that wasn't a problem, you could be sure that there would be one that you can enjoy just a few days later.

But it wasn't only invasions. We also had moderated contests and events. Some were for newbies only, some for everyone. If a player had an idea for a contest and provided some prizes it was easy to find a mod to support him. Either with just some global messages to direct participants to channel 7 or with actual support like teleportation or the mod themself doing the work.

Moderators would support pk contests for example by spawning dragons in kf to do a "team with most kills wins" type of event. Or by doing the gear check for gear restricted contests.

Or the epic invasion event in the GP ranging non-magic arena where a mod would spawn mobs increasing in strength and players had to fight them without using any spells.

There were lots of things like that and I miss those times dearly! Please give us back the fun!

Nowadays it is very hard to find a mod to support your contest. A #help_me often doesn't get you a response and you either have to hunt down a mod by pming them all or just do it in channel 6 without support. And even if you get one to help, it is usually just a generic message like "if you like contest join channel 7" instead of any real support.

I do know that invasions and events like that take a lot of time and effort from the mods. I am not here to bash them. Mods have a reallife too and they do want to progress their own characters too, not just play the clown for players. And there are other responsibilities like enforcing game rules and helping (newbies) with gameplay issues. This is important too and I am sure most moderators do a really good job "behind the scenes".

But providing fun for the players is an important part too and currently that part lacks.

The only moderators that currently do invasions or events are Wizzy and Alphabet. Lately Wizzy rarely logs on at all and if he does it is only for a few minutes, because he is so busy in reallife. Alphabet has a lot on the agenda in his RL too and can only do so much. I am not blaming them, RL comes first and they do need time to develop and play their own characters as well.

Radu certainly has a lot on his shoulders running this game and also is developing an android app which takes a lot of his time, so he can't spend as much time for player entertainment as is needed, either.

However, I think we do need someone to do these things for players. Although we can't blame moderators for falling (mostly) inactive, because that is legit, we do need someone to do the "work".

Please consider the possibility of electing new moderators who are willing to provide fun and excitement for the community.

I assume there are a lot of sensible information floating around in the mod channels and you cannot just let anyone in on those things. That is understandable. So if there are trust issues with choosing new mods maybe it would be an option to develop a new "class" of moderators. People that aren't responsible for rule enforcement, that don't need to know all the sensible information, but that can provide fun, run contests and do invasions.

Lets call them "entertainers" or whatever you like, instead of "moderators". Don't let them in on the sensible stuff, but do give them the power to provide fun, please.

Today there was an invasion by radu in SKF. It was originally intended for people below 100 a/d, then was raised to 120 a/d cap with some extra mobs. Apparently not enough players showed up, so soon after the cap was lifted and turned into uncapped.

I have not seen that many people in an invasion in a very long time. In my opinion that shows that people are hungry for different style invasions. Invasions that they can activly play in even though they aren't at the top of their level range, haven't bought pickpoints and do have some pickpoints spent on mixing nexus. These people usually can't take part in nowadays invasions, but they are depserate for some fun, so they rushed to the opportunity.

Pretty please, do something for these players. Elect new moderators/entertainers that are willing to do the work. Lets bring back the old fun times. Lets fight the boring daily monotony!

Edited by Finja

Very well thought out and said Finja. Think many players would agree along these same lines. EL has basically just gotten mundane and boring.

Would be very nice to see some of her ideas put into action. New styles of invasions sound awesome :D

I've personally volunteered to help make fun for people only to be turned down, which was frustrating, but I'm sure there's plenty of players with the capability and desire to bring about more fun that could be given some sort of position as mentioned.

Lets make EL fun again :)

Edited by Patriot

I have to say I agree with Finja, Something needs to be done and not just anyone can do it.... Sure we as players can hold contests, a few of us have. Not all of us can run an invasion. There is so much potential for fun in EL but we need someone to do it. I would love to be able to but I cant. I havent been as active myself lately for this reason. I log on and do nothing at the end of the night I log off frustrated because a game that could be fun isn't. I know Radu likes rostos which i understand why but if there were more "fun" invasions he would surely get more.

Not sure why you expect me to do anything, when no one asks me for it. When was the last time when people said: "Hey, we'd like a C2 invasion and we have some people who are going to do it"? When was the last time people offered to hold PK contests and did so? When did people ask for hidden invasions?

BTW, what exactly is new in what you said? There have been numerous similar threads, omfg PK is dead, omfg invasions are not like what they used to be, etc. But no player wants to do anything about it, just complain.

Radu I have to disagree with you. There are players willing to but we dont have the power. I have hosted PK contests in which the prizes came from my storage. I could not take part because I had to sit back and watch to make sure things were going right. For example KF clash I watched so I could time. Yes you did donate some prizes which I do appreciate. I know alot of mods don't want to run invasions. I understand its not their thing. For you to say no player wants to do anything is very wrong.

Edited by CherUT

Untrue radu, I recently offered to help in this area only to be turned down.

Many people offer ideas, suggestions, plus their own time to change things for the better, often to only to have what they say fall to deaf ears :/

Talon

Edited by Patriot

Sorry I have been so inactive.

My dear Wizzy,

you know I love you and your invasions.

This post is not intended to blame you or any of your fellow mods.

I was hoping I made this clear in my post. I am not blaming you. Or anyone. Your reallife is important. More important than EL invasions.

But my point is: If the current mods can't do invasions (which is perfectly legit!) elect new ones who aren't too busy. Because however busy the mods are, the players still need fun.

Not sure why you expect me to do anything, when no one asks me for it. When was the last time when people said: "Hey, we'd like a C2 invasion and we have some people who are going to do it"? When was the last time people offered to hold PK contests and did so? When did people ask for hidden invasions?

BTW, what exactly is new in what you said? There have been numerous similar threads, omfg PK is dead, omfg invasions are not like what they used to be, etc. But no player wants to do anything about it, just complain.

I do not expect you to do anything. As I said I am aware that you already have a lot on your shoulders.

Players do not ask for invasions of the style i mentioned because they either gave up or they are to new to know them. Just today I asked for a multi map multi cap with some hidden. What we got was a SKF with one wave.

The last time people offered to hold a PK contest is not to long ago. CherUT used to try that. It worked for a while, but was very difficult without mod support. Plus the prizes came mostly from her storage while she couldn't take part but had to do her best to "moderate" it without actual mod powers.

Regarding hidden invasions: I did ask you, twice. I specifically asked for the old, epic hidden once, that you used to do while I was gone. What you did were two hidden ones. Both with only 2-3 locations all in single combat. Those were either for the top players because of the hard mobs or a farmfest for the not so top but still negged out players.

Nothing wrong with these invasions. There is nothing wrong with your Bethel/SKF invasions either. There are players who enjoy them. But they shouldn't be the only option. There used to be more options. More different styles.

I don't know what's new about my post. Probably not that much. I am just very sad that my EL that I love isn't like it used to be. Sad that it lacks all the fun I used to have.

Players do try to do something though. I personaly did some contests. Without or barely any mod support because I couldn't get any. Players did enjoy the fun, although I (we, I had help from Talon and CherUT for example) didn't give epic prizes away. The small prizes were alright, people enjoyed the fun we provided.

I really don't mean to point fingers and blame you or the moderators for doing this wrong. That is not my intention. This is a plead for more/new moderators who are willing to do the (often) thankless work to provide fun for the community.

I'm with Cher and Finja the game has really lost most of the fun for me I mean I get on do dailys and sometimes invance and then Afk the rest of the day with nothing really do to :/ one way I see maybe can fix it for me is if we have more lower level friendly uncapped cuz most people can't fight 2-4 little dragons along with yetis or trice etc it's just to hard for anyone without a super negged account or really high a/d to do the uncapped now For me I would LOVE to do uncapped invasions but they are far to hard for someone in my level and if I do go I just die and that really takes the fun out of it for me I would rather drop a brick or 2 having fun then losing one and not going back to the invasion

And give the capped invasion more time to clear I mean really what else is going on? why not leave it there for 2-3 hours and see how far they can get and if it's still really high mob count change cap to the next range I mean giving a team 20mins or less to find/gear a team is kinda a joke if you ask me

as for events no one will really help a player out with starting them without just the "contest join 7 for info" we used to have some better generic messages saying more of what the event was and not really making people join 7 to find out I know of a lot of people who would like to have mods help with events but I guess the mods are busy or just don't care

All in all Just some easier invasion and some that are more around teamwork or something and a brick farming invasions

And maybe a little more interaction between mod and player

Please don't take this wrong I appreciate all that the mods do But I feel like maybe some new mods or event type mods would really do good for the game

Radu I have to disagree with you. There are players willing to but we dont have the power.

They don't have the power to organize player hosted contests? Not only PKing, there are many other kind of events players can host with little or no support from the mods. What power do they lack?

Untrue radu, I recently offered to help in this area only to be turned down.

Many people offer ideas, suggestions, plus their own time to change things for the better, often to only to have what they say fall to deaf ears :/

Talon

Umm, you wanted to basically make you a level 3 mod.That was not acceptable, this is not how we select mods. Don't blame me for "turning your offer down", especially since I suggested a workaround,

Just today I asked for a multi map multi cap with some hidden. What we got was a SKF with one wave.

I am not going to make an invasion if only one or two players request it. Sorry.

Regarding hidden invasions: I did ask you, twice. I specifically asked for the old, epic hidden once, that you used to do while I was gone. What you did were two hidden ones. Both with only 2-3 locations all in single combat. Those were either for the top players because of the hard mobs or a farmfest for the not so top but still negged out players.

We have a very selective memory, don't we? I did plenty of hidden invasions even recently, some of them had monsters 80 a/d and higher. But of course, we only remember the bad stuff.

Unfortunately due to some irl shiz I cant play el as much as id like, but when I do play and some peeps ask for an invasion or whatever radu asks the question " how many 'x' cappers" or whatever then if enough peeps say aye then ping invasion, but often it is just the same 2or 3 players whom ask for inva. radu also asks in 6 all the tiime "any invasioners" and again its the same few whom ask often for bethel uncapped.

Im not claiming to know shiz but if you want an invasion or contest or whatever is prollybetter to ask in game on @6 to drum up some support for whatever it is you want from other players to get radu on your side

After all radu may be many things but he cant read minds, so if you want some original interesting invasions or contests bring it up in @6 if a enough players also like you idea it will prolly happen, radu is pretty fair inthat respect

They don't have the power to organize player hosted contests? Not only PKing, there are many other kind of events players can host with little or no support from the mods. What power do they lack?

This is pretty much the smartest reply posted on this forum in a very long time.

Sadly, the problem is the lack of community spirit. That part died 4 or 5 years ago. It was never radu's fault regardless of how people tried to put it. Everyone put their own needs above the benefit of the community and the game.

There used to be player organized events at Christmas, Halloween, etc... Apart from the raffle, none of that exists anymore. Eventually the only source of entertainment left was invasions/instances. Depending on ONE thing for entertainment is a bad thing because you can't that one thing every single online moment.

Remember when people used to get excited about ideas like this?

It's the community's fault and not radu.

Edited by hussam

The Charity Raffle last year was a record breaker!

This shows that there is still a great EL community and people are still willing to contribute/take part in events, like we always have in EL.

I think the 2 problems are:

1) People feel they don't have the time to organise an event. Not much that can be done about that but we should all make an effort to organise things together. The potential is there (as we saw in the raffle last year). We just need a kickstart.

2) Many events are within guilds only. The guild i'm in - K&M - hold events quite frequently but because we have a lot of members, we tend to do them as a guild only and don't involve the wider community. So basically, maybe guilds can start to take more of a lead in organising events, that way it doesn't take as much time as it is a joint effort.

Overall though, i still find EL to be very fun, both as a game and as a community. I'm also very proud of my guild.

There are things we can still do but on a whole, i don't personally think there is a massive problem.

I was going to stay out of this thread and probably still should, but...

You have:

Daily haidir
Daily demanded invances. They try and sound polite with the plse tacked on the end. If it doesn't happen in the next 5 mins, we are bombarded with requests every 5 mins.
Invasions every night
Weekly instances and if you're over 111 a/d you can do wtf instances and regular instances.
On the weekends we usually see a portals invasion, esp if Wizzy or Alpha is on.
Every day and nearly hourly I see on @6 someone posting My location KF (blah blah/blah blah)
We have dweebs players sitting outside NCA 24/7 looking to pk merc harvesters.

And now we're told you don't have enough stuff to kill. Okay! Radu bends over backwards trying to keep everyone happy as well as try and eek out a living off the game.

The last player sponsored event that I remember, the mods were given a demand that we moderate it. All these restrictions were made about weapons and armor it would have been a nightmare to moderate. Sure it would be fine if I could just place an eye and a person and see what they are carrying. That just not the case. Instead of demands, a little more "hey, when you have time could you help us with this?" would do wonders.

Edited by Aquila
so no one gets offended

I could post my own list of complaints, but that's not very useful.

But, could I ask those complaining to read back chat logs and see if they could find any reasons why mods aren't in any hurry to spend time organising stuff?

(and I hope they do realise that they don't see all the PM 'exchanges').

As for chat being dead: again, look through chat logs and remember that at least channels 1-20 are public places. Then see if you can understand why a number of players won't go near @6.

revi, nobody says that a #help_me has to be answered right away, but if after a while a second request comes, it might be good if there would be at least a pm with an hi, i will look into it, need i name something special comes. Instead maybe just a announcment in channel 7 that some event will happen. and a pm after the fact. People respond to some general kindness, most moderators do that, some not, and those who do not get the feel, that an event is something more then a nuiciance for those who need to announce it, maybe we get more again.

As for channel 6 i avoid that channel, while in many times its ok, i find it often enough offensive, and not the style of talk i want to read about.

Luckily K&M guild is quite active, and we have good chats there.

revi, nobody says that a #help_me has to be answered right away, but if after a while a second request comes, it might be good if there would be at least a pm with an hi, i will look into it, need i name something special comes. Instead maybe just a announcment in channel 7 that some event will happen. and a pm after the fact. People respond to some general kindness, most moderators do that, some not, and those who do not get the feel, that an event is something more then a nuiciance for those who need to announce it, maybe we get more again.

(...)

Where did that come from? Iirc, I mentioned 'organising' events, which has nothing to do with replying to #help_me's.

Invasions every night?

Regular portals invasions?

Mods calling players names?

wtf man

I may not be on, but I check on things. It is darn rare that I don't see an invasion going on at night, (USA time). Maybe not in the last few weeks, but before that there was a portals invasion nearly every weekend.

Finally, edited post above, I didn't realize some people's skin is too thin for dweeb.

I was going to stay out of this thread and probably still should, but...

You have:

Daily haidir

Daily demanded invances. They try and sound polite with the plse tacked on the end. If it doesn't happen in the next 5 mins, we are bombarded with requests every 5 mins.

Invasions every night

Weekly instances and if you're over 111 a/d you can do wtf instances and regular instances.

On the weekends we usually see a portals invasion, esp if Wizzy or Alpha is on.

Every day and nearly hourly I see on @6 someone posting My location KF (blah blah/blah blah)

We have dweebs players sitting outside NCA 24/7 looking to pk merc harvesters.

And now we're told you don't have enough stuff to kill. Okay! Radu bends over backwards trying to keep everyone happy as well as try and eek out a living off the game.

The last player sponsored event that I remember, the mods were given a demand that we moderate it. All these restrictions were made about weapons and armor it would have been a nightmare to moderate. Sure it would be fine if I could just place an eye and a person and see what they are carrying. That just not the case. Instead of demands, a little more "hey, when you have time could you help us with this?" would do wonders.

I think maybe before you call the players names and thin skinned you should look in the mirror, You seem to be the one with this skin.

This post was not meant to bash any mod or radu. It was meant to help bring some fun for everyone.

I personally have ran contests from pk to find me and yes they were fun for the people who were able to take part.

The one contest you referred to was hosted by me. I did politely ask a few mods to help and got no reply. Amazing it would be way to hard for you guys to moderate that same contest has been done for years with mod support. Guess the "new" mods have a different job these days and are too busy.

I cant say anything about the daily invance as it is ran nearly the same time everyday when I am not available so I dont know how their requests or demands are.

Dailies and instances got boring long ago..

I know there are people who like repetitive stuff everyday while there are others who like something a little different.

Portal invasion every weekend? Wow you have to be kidding me that you even said something so very untrue.

Anyway I'm sorry you all took this thread so personal and it hurt your feelings perhaps there are reasons for this but I wont point them out here :)

Have a wonderful day and thank you Radu and the mods who actually do something for all you do.

With respect to KF clash being done with mod support, yes, I did it for years and was always asked early. This time I couldnt help, work has been too busy

Since there are certain mod-capabilities required for such an event, the "new" mods cant do them.

The one contest you referred to was hosted by me. I did politely ask a few mods to help and got no reply. Amazing it would be way to hard for you guys to moderate that same contest has been done for years with mod support. Guess the "new" mods have a different job these days and are too busy.

I cant say anything about the daily invance as it is ran nearly the same time everyday when I am not available so I dont know how their requests or demands are.

Dailies and instances got boring long ago..

I know there are people who like repetitive stuff everyday while there are others who like something a little different.

Portal invasion every weekend? Wow you have to be kidding me that you even said something so very untrue.

Anyway I'm sorry you all took this thread so personal and it hurt your feelings perhaps there are reasons for this but I wont point them out here :)

Have a wonderful day and thank you Radu and the mods who actually do something for all you do.

Thank you Cher, you made a few things very simple for me.

I am very sorry that some people took this thread personal. It was never my intention to point fingers or blame the moderators. I was hoping I made it clear that I do understand there are legit reasons.

I gave examples of what exactly I mean. Telling me that there are daily quests and instances is missing the point.

This is an attempt to bring back the fun times that we had in the past. I'm not asking for new or impossible things. Everything I mentioned used to happen. It used to be possible.

This thread is meant as constructive critisism, not an attack. I also mentioned the possibility of a workaround so that there is no need for new "rank 3" mods, but still have people do the "dirty" work.

Maybe we all can stop playing the blame game and instead discuss this constructively to try and find a solution that works for all sides.

Edited by Finja

Well, looking back, people took time to make there own fun. Now there are daily quests which take hours of play time to complete some days, instances for gc, invance for xp, No need to train those pk spawns, No need to get a team together to go pawn hydro farmers.

Honestly, the game changed when people were more concerend with doing there dailies then to go out and pawn people. Or fight for spawns