Eternal Lands Official Forums
Rabbitman

Rabbitman's Weekly Improvement Ideas for EL

Hello everyone,

I decided to post some of the ideas I have had floating around in my head about how we can make EL better and more fun. I would like to do this in a weekly format, with 1 new idea per week. If you like/dislike aspects of it, feel free to post below with comments. I'll edit my post here to add a 1 sentence summary of each idea and a link to the starting post of that idea.

Current Ideas:

Post No. Description

1. Modify elemental damage on all "X of Fire/Ice/Magic/Thermal" weapons

10. Let's talk about bosses and boss mechanics. http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59651&p=584933

14. Let's talk about great swords and armours. http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59651&p=585112

16. How about some new perks. http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59686&p=585336

11/2/2014 Idea:

Current Weapons (using serpent swords as an example but applies to all elemental weapons)

Titanium Serpent Sword of Fire - gives +10 fire damage

Titanium Serpent Sword of Ice - gives +10 cold damage

Titanium Serpent Sword of Magic - gives +10 magic damage

Titanium Serpent Sword of Thermal - gives + 10 fire damage AND + 10 ice damage (for a total of +20)

Suggested Change

Titanium Serpent Sword of Fire - gives +20 fire damage

Titanium Serpent Sword of Ice - gives +20 cold damage

Titanium Serpent Sword of Magic - gives +20 magic damage

Titanium Serpent Sword of Thermal - gives + 10 fire damage AND + 10 ice damage (for a total of +20)

How this helps players:

1. Allows for more interesting creature design (using specific gear/damage type for specific creatures)

2. Adds variety to the game

3. (Hopefully) can make the swords cheaper individually since more will be sold (which would help the casual player at least have 1 good end game weapon)

How this helps Radu:

1. Sells more elemental serpent swords since people will want each that is used for maximum damage on specific mobs

Edited by Rabbitman

I do not think you should automatically have swords already purchased / made have more damage done with them.

I know some have been stocking up alternate swords other than thermal and this request was anticipated by me.

Add new monsters affected by special abilities (i.e. a mummy affected by fire) with someone of the intelligent ones attacking those who use such weapons because they are more of a threat to them. Also make some monsters strengthened by or immune to special attacks. Why should an icy dragon be affected by the +10 bonus of a thermal sword? In fact it should counteract the +10 fire bonus.

Agree with Patriot. I have 2 of these 'fancy' swords but have not used them because of their little extra damage. Would be nice to have an advantage over some of the monsters. BTW, I did not buy them, had them made with ingredients I had :)

Indeed, have seen it suggested before and still support it, including what Saxum wrote, would be a great improvement to gameplay.

This is something I have thought about myself. The special swords have a very minimal bonus. I believe the damage should be increased for most mobs/players (some extra damage for iron swords, more for iron broad swords, etc.) but with differences like those below:

It seems to me that fire swords should have an even higher damage bonus on mobs like ice dragons, yeti and frost trolls, with ice swords giving no extra damage to these mobs.

Likewise, ice swords should give a much higher damage bonus to mobs like the red dragon and maybe legionnaire orcs, while fire swords have no extra damage.

Possibly magic swords could increase the rationality of the bearer. Not so sure about that one, but they should have an effect that is comparable to the fire and ice swords.

11/10/2014 Idea:

Let's talk about bosses and boss mechanics. Today I'll start off with a bit more discussion of the motivation before going into my suggestions. There are 2 main strategies used in EL to fight bosses. The first is to melee tank a boss while other people attack in melee. Generally in this strategy people will use a sword (rad or thermal) plus an elemental arrow (fire or ice) for damage. In this strategy, the only way to help better than someone else is to be higher a/d or have higher attributes. The second strategy is to melee tank and/or flee tank a boss while other players range the creature. This strategy has the advantage of not requiring players to really level up much to be able to participate and help.

One big disadvantage to both of these methods is that the time required to kill a creature does not matter. A single player with high enough levels and enough motivation can solo any boss in game with relative ease. This is because overall the mechanics dont really get easier or less complex with a single player, it just takes more time. Currently, the biggest excpetion in EL is the Castellan creature which spawns giants at 5 predetermined points in the fight. However, now that players are higher a/d, even this is soloable without too much difficulty.

So the suggestions I would like to propose are to make some new mechanics which will make new bosses more difficult to solo, requiring more team work but also not limit participation to the highest of a/d players. Here are just a few possible new boss additions showcasing some mechanics:

Bulangiu Shaman

Health: 32000

Attack: 145

Defense: 145

Armour: Similar to MB

Resistances: Similar to Castellan

What makes him special: When damaged by any method (melee/mage/range/glow/mirror) has a 10% chance to summon a creature (if radu wants to be evil, it can be spawned with no drops). The creature is random, and can be anything from a brown rabbit up to a little pink dragon.

Why this makes him a good team mob: It makes things more difficult for the tank by having him consistently attacked by other creatures. The summoned creatures can be bears/white tigers/hawks or little dragons all of which could make the tank's life very difficult if there are not other players helping clean up the creatures.

Cocoral Mage

Health: 25000

Mana: 2000

Attack: 120

Defense: 120

Armour: Similar to Cocoral

Resistances: Medium-high magic resist.

What makes him special: The Cocoral Mage will heal himself 5k health every minute. Additionally, he will harm any players within range if they do not have Magic Immunity cast until he runs out of mana (~100 damage harm, some randomness to his attempts at casting, maybe every 2-20 s).

What makes him a good team mob: If somone tries to solo this creature, they will have a really hard time getting the damage per second (dps) required to actually lower his health more than 5k per minute. Thus, you really need a team just to be able to actually kill him. Additionally, giving him a lot of mana means a large team could potentially mana drain all of his mana to make the fight easier by making it so he cannot cast harm on people.

Mxyzptlk

Mana: 0

Attack: 100

Defense: 100

Resistances: Range resistant similar to MILF.

What makes him special: Mxyzptlk is a trickster imp. Whenever he takes any damage (melee/mage/range/glow/mirror) from a player with higher (a+d)/2 than him, he gets +5 a/d (with NO cap limit on his potential a/d). However, whenever he takes any damage (melee/mage/range/glow/mirror) from a player with lower (a+d)/2 than him, he gets -2 a/d (Lower cap at 7/7 a/d).

What makes him a good team mob: A high level player trying to solo this creature will quickly start to take a ton of damage and not be able to hit him. This mob will require lower level players and higher level players to work together to take him down.

Polyphemus

Health: 15000

Attack: 40

Defense: 40

Crit-to-hit rate: 5d10+40

Crit-to-dmg rate: 5d10+40

Might/Damage: Similar to a cyclops

Perks: Mirror skin, I glow in the dark, Evanescence

What makes him special: The crit to hit and crit to damage rate coupled with the low a/d make it so that high and low players alike will struggle with this creature. Regardless of a/d, he will not be pleasant to tank for anyone. However, the randomness factor on him will still keep it interesting.

What makes him a good team mob: Lower players and higher players alike will have the same difficulty. Lower players who think through their builds and strategies may actually have an easier time tanking this creature than someone who is 120-150 a/d with a less optimal build. This allows people of any a/d to have a difficult but nice rewarding boss.

How all of this helps players:

It makes the game more fun! New mechanics and strategies freshen the game and get people thinking and working together.

How this helps radu:

People experimenting and tring to figure out how new bosses work will probably end up in many many rostos for the castle.

These are just a few ideas for how we can spice up the EL boss mob experience. Questions, comments or additional ideas please post below.

Edited by Rabbitman

I personally would love to see added monsters. All the current boss mobs are easy and require very little effort.

Adding monsters that actually require teamwork and include lower lvl players would make things much more fun.

This is a game, after all. It shouldn't be stressful or boring. Having a fun boss to look forward to after clearing a bethel or skf (or wherever) invasion would be awesome.

Add 'little.....' and 'legionnaire....' versions of most monsters (not animals) starting with goblins and skeletons.

the little version is weaker but same HP. legionnaire version is stronger and has more HP.

It would also be a nice pattern by adding a new monster system without requiring new artwork.

That would be nice if he could change the size as well - giant skeletons as example. It works for players so should work for monsters.

11/20/2014 Idea:

Let's talk about great swords and armour balance. In EL there are two major types of fighting gameplay which are often competing with each other: Player versus Player (PvP or PK) and Player versus Environment (PvE or player versus creatures/radu). Changes to armour and weapons since 2008 have worked to find an odd balance for PvE, but really imbalanced PvP. Specifically, before dragon armour and attribute caps were implemented, you could use an orc slayer or jagged saber as a legitimate pk weapon. However, once players' might was capped and dragon armour added more damage reduction, all great swords in pk pretty much became a thing of the past.

Basically, there are few viable end-game equipment options in the game now. For armours, there is dragon and bronze. For weapons there are radioactive rapier, bronze sword, fire/ice/thermal serpent sword (similar weapons), halberd, staff of protection, scythe, and maybe can consider eagle wing as well. This leads to a stale strategies where there is a single best gear for most situations, and limits many aspects of game design.

The following series of suggestions aims to open the possibilities in game design and allow my strategic options for players. The goal is to make each piece of gear actually different from each other, and give some pros and cons when compared to other gear.

Torso Armour:

Steel Platemail: +14-18 armour, -5 heat/cold/magic/radiation/range protection, -5 defense, -2 accuracy, -2 crit to hit, -2 crit to damage

Titanium Platemail: +12-13 armour, +2 heat/cold protection

Bronze Platemail: +15 armour, -10 defense, -10 accuracy, -10 crit to hit, -10 crit to damage

Red Dragon Mail: +10 armour, +10 heat protection, -5 cold protection

Black Dragon Mail: +10 armour, +10 radiation protection, -5 magic protection

Ice Dragon Mail: +10 armour, +10 cold protection, -5 heat protection

Blue Dragon Mail: +10 armour, +10 magic protection, -5 radiation protection

Legs Armour:

Steel Cuisses: +8 armour, -2 heat/cold/magic/radiation/range protection, -3 defense, -2 accuracy

Titanium Cuisses: +6 armour, +2 magic protection

Bronze Cuisses: +7 armour, -1 defense, -1 accuracy

Red Dragon Cuisses: +5 armour, +5 heat protection, -2 cold protection

Black Dragon Cuisses: +5 armour, +5 radiation protection, -2 magic protection

Ice Dragon Cuisses: +5 armour, +5 cold protection, -2 heat protection

Blue Dragon Cuisses: +5 armour, +5 magic protection, -2 radiation protection

Feet Armour:

Steel Greaves: +6 armour, -1 heat/cold/magic/radiation/range protection, -1 defense, -1 accuracy

Titanium Greaves: +3 armour, +5 radiation protection

Bronze Greaves: +10 armour, -1 defense, -20 material points

Red Dragon Greaves: +3 armour, +2 heat protection, +20 material points

Black Dragon Greaves: +3 armour, +2 radiation protection, + 10 damage

Ice Dragon Greaves: +3 armour, +2 cold protection, +20 etherial points

Blue Dragon Greaves: +3 armour, +2 magic protection, +10 range protection

Shields:

Steel Shield: +4 defense, +4 armour, -2 accuracy, -2 crit to hit, -4 magic protection

Titanium Shield: +8 defense, -2 accuracy

Bronze Shield: +4 defense, +4 armour, -3 accuracy, +4 magic protection

Blue Dragon Shield: +5 defense, +10 range protection

Weapons:

Emerald Claymore - 35 damage, +8 accuracy, +2 defense, +5 crit to hit, +5 crit to damage

Cutlass - 35 damage, +15 accuracy, -5 defense

Sunbreaker - 35-45 damage, -5 accuracy, -5 defense, +25 crit to damage

Orc Slayer - 40-60 damage, -10 accuracy, -20 defense

Eagle Wing - 20-40 damage, +8 defense, -3 crit to hit, -3 crit to damage

Rapier - 30 damage, +17 crit to hit

Jagged Saber - 35 damage, +5 defense, +5 accuracy, +2 crit to hit, +2 crit to damage

Bronze Sword - 40-60 damage, +5 crit to hit, +5 crit to damage, 1/50 chance to break

Radioactive Rapier - Rapier +15 Radioactive damage

Blue Dragon Sword - 10-20 damage, +2 defense, +2 accuracy, +2 crit to hit, +2 crit to damage, +15 magic damage

Halberd - 40-60 damage, -10 accuracy, -20 defense, +25 crit to damage

Scythe - 35-45 damage, +5 accuracy, +5 radiation damage, +5 crit to damage, 2% chance to do 150 damage

Special serps - keep all the same except make bannana serp more magic damage :P

How this helps players:

1. Allows for more interesting creature design (using specific gear/damage type for specific creatures)

2. Adds variety to the game

3. (Hopefully) can add additional strategy to instance/invasion/pk

How this helps Radu:

1. New creatures/mechanics means more bricks from people tryign to figure it out :P

2. (Hopefully) will make game more entertaining so players who have left will come back to try it out.

Edited by Rabbitman

11/10/2014 Idea:

Mxyzptlk

Attack: 100

Defense: 100

Resistances: Range resistant similar to MILF.

What makes him special: Mxyzptlk is a trickster imp. Whenever he takes any damage (melee/mage/range/glow/mirror) from a player with higher (a+d)/2 than him, he gets +5 a/d (with NO cap limit on his potential a/d). However, whenever he takes any damage (melee/mage/range/glow/mirror) from a player with lower (a+d)/2 than him, he gets -2 a/d (Lower cap at 7/7 a/d).

What makes him a good team mob: A high level player trying to solo this creature will quickly start to take a ton of damage and not be able to hit him. This mob will require lower level players and higher level players to work together to take him down.

First off: I love the ideas you proposed w.r.t. new bosses and the variety displayed.

Just a detail comment on the Mxyz-imp-thing:

After having thought about if for a few minutes, I figure this one will be actually rather easy to solo/fight for the usual range of players. The condition of its a/d rising is that a person with higher avg a/d does damage to him. Well, that will only happen until its a/d is slightly above the player (sg.!) attacking him. Soloing/fighting a creature with only slightly higher a/d than your own isn't that difficult is it?

There is a potential tweak to the idea I see, though: Make it so its a/d is raised as long as the hitter's a/d is higher than the Mxyz's BASE A/D (100/100). It will still be more or less easy to kill it (for ppl close to but slightly below 100/100) but at least harder than in the original suggestion... *shrugs*