Eternal Lands Official Forums
Mythos

Horse whistles related issue

I have several horse whistles - palomino/dapple/black.

Some of them I've been using for a while now, during instances, invances, etc. The other day I've got a brand new one and I've placed it in storage. Now I want to sell one via bot and I'm not sure which of the whistles I'm about to sell, since the new and the old one stacked in the same slot.

I'm not sure what is my buyer going to actually buy.... If he/she will get the "used whistle", would he/she be able to enjoy only the remaining steps or the full whistle as it is? Are the steps reseted?

Hoping to find some more info on that.
Tyvm.

both are new... when you use one - you activate the first whistle you used - and any unused steps on it. When you use a whistle is disappears

It is NOT the whistle itself that has the 'steps left counter', it's the char using a whistle, so from a buy/sell point of view all whistles are equal.

I have not use horse whistles since they were first introduced so did not fully understand what Raz meant. The explanation given when their function was last changed helped me:

"Changed the way horses work. From now on, the first time you use a horse whistle, you get a certain number of steps with the horse, and the whistle will disappear. That number is pretty large, but I will let you determine it. While riding the horse, at each step that number is decreased. When it reaches 0, you dismount. You can manually dismount the horse whenever you want, and if you still have steps left, next time when you use another horse whistle (doesn't have to be of the same kind) the whistle will not disappear (but you won't get additional steps either). If the number of steps is 0, you lose the whistle, and get the full number of steps.
The horses speed is double now."

I note that the encyclopedia description is not up to date so perhaps we can change that.

Correct me if I am wrong but, from the description it sounds like to use horses, you need to buy two whistles. When you use the first, it disappears but you mount the horse. The number of steps left (until you loose the horse) starts to decrease as you walk. When you dismount but have steps left, you need to use another whistle before you can remount. This time, as you have steps remaining, the whistle does not disappear (it remains "new"), you just continue to use up your remaining steps as you move.

This need for two whistles is fine but doubles the initial cost (shop price of $2 is OK but in-game they are really expensive). Could there be a very cheap item that just allows you to remount? Possibly bought from the in-game general stores like a pickaxe or a knife for a few gc, it could break occasionally like any other tool. Of course, in addition, I'm sure people would still like to be able to "use" another whistle to remount as it gives the option of changing horse. A lower cost, fewer steps training horse whistle might be nice too but that might be against the intent for horses.

Anyway, this tread has renewed my interest, I think it is time for me to try horses again.

Edited by bluap

So basically, Raz/Sir_Odie - the whistle itself doesn't count - as the "remaining steps" are linked to the char itself?

In practice now.
I've used a black whistle as the first one. It dissapeared after that. Then I've used another black whistle - which i still have in storage. Now, If I'm using a palomino whistle, when the "steps" would be consumed", it would be the black whistle that will disappear?

I use the horse whistles all the time. From what I have found, this is how they work. You mount the horse and initially have 15k steps (you can get off and on the horse as many times as you want), when you have traveled 14k steps, you will dismount but the whistle will still be in your inventory. When you remount, the whistle will disappear. From that point, you get 1k steps and you will dismount. However, if you have 2 whistles in your inventory, you will not dismount after the remaining 1k steps (the "new" whistle will have 16k steps)

Yes, the number of steps is linked to the char, not the whistle.

As far as using different colored whistles and which will disappear, I am not sure as I have only used the black.

Thank you, momr.
I tend to think that the current whistle disappears. Since I can sell the "initial" whistle and use a new one l8r in the future. If i sell the black whistle i have and use only the palomino, i think it would be the palomino that would disappear.

Edited by Mythos

yes, the whistle you use disappears, and gives you the corresponding color horse. There is only one steps counter, whichever whistle you use to remount determines the color horse you get.

Thank you Maxine. It clarifies the things big time. Encyclopedia - updated version - is still a bit confusing on this particular issue.