Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

Poll - New client update?

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 1.9.4 minor update release with all the above changes?

Yay! :)

Wasn't expecting so quick. We may have to wait until after the holidays, some like Odie are going to be off for a while.

But there are technically builds now for testing that are up-to-date with the GIT, if they can't get done until then.

Win and OSX : http://www.gm.fh-koe...L-Services.html - builds by Odie are up to date with GIT

Linux: http://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/ - testing binaries by bluap, plus his Ubu/Deb packages (and my OpenSUSE builds)

Updated encyclopedia is also at Odie's Win/OSX link above.

Edited by Burn

idk why. but this client tends to crash on random restore for me. = lost rosto and death while fighting a mob, especially one over 250 HP. completely random. cannot find a way to duplicate on command or any options to be turned off to prevent. not using client anymore due to this little annoying hiccup thus I vote no.

idk why. but this client tends to crash on random restore for me. = lost rosto and death while fighting a mob, especially one over 250 HP. completely random. cannot find a way to duplicate on command or any options to be turned off to prevent. not using client anymore due to this little annoying hiccup thus I vote no.

its a known bug , happening to win xp users... i lost about 9 or more rostos that way, happens totaly random and also with other spells and also using right click in sto window...was on earlier clients before iirc ( the 1.9.3 series )

Bugs should not stop us releasing updates, we just need to fix the bugs. I've not heard of either these two issues before so please help us find out more about them. Is there a common graphics card/driver for example. Any other reports of these issues?

Edited by bluap

it can't be reproduced, some day i have a client shutdown twice in short time, then for weeks nothing.

it only happens when using a spell (restore is used most so it looks like its a restore spell bug),

but i had it also while using tele to range spell and often when i look with right click into sto window.

the client is just closing without any error message.

i have it happening since hmm begin of this year, others i heared have it longer.

nothing in the client settings can stop it from happening.

so far i know, that only win xp users have it.

sir_odie was working on it and so far found no specific cause. only thing what stopped the bug was using the debugger...irrc.

i think it might be a windows xp specific problem of loading libs or a timing problem.

i guess it is the timing problem, cause as sir_odie told me, the debuger slows things down and the bug was not happening to him.

i use winwods xp, SP3 with an ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics. drivers up to date.

hope this information can bring it a bit foreward.

edit : ups ;)

it was reported from me here : http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58129

Edited by wuffzel

Bugs should not stop us releasing updates, we just need to fix the bugs. I've not heard of either these two issues before so please help us find out more about them. Is there a common graphics card/driver for example. Any other reports of these issues?

2 commonalities l see. posted with phone don't see my sig, but yes also windows XP & a ati radeon HD 3870 with latest driver update.

everything else in this new client is excellent. it's why i keep checking if a new version posted and try again. miss those features lol. you guys are doing an excellent job.

but i do disagree with this bug not being a serious enough issue to vote yes for poll on client, for cost of rosto's keep me poor lol but no choice will not instance, invasion, invance, or any thing that could result in death w/o one cause db. serious enough a bug to prevent playing.

Thus maybe release as a rc the client so others will also use it to pinpoint bug, but imo let them know of this issue too, so they don't spam radu and mods for rosto/db loss or rage quit. They have a full plate already.

I would have but its my choice to use the new/test client and not official one. Cause it totally outrages me when I die and its NOT cause of anything of my own dumbass choice.

All I meant was that we must fix this issue then do a release, not force the release with a known issue. Is the crash only with Sir Odie's build of the new client as he suspects it may be a build issue (compiler bug of such like). Is anyone else sucessfully using another build of the latest git source on XP? I have a windows build here that uses a different version of the compiler and may be worth checking. I cannot test this as I do not have a version of XP other than my virtual machine build environment.

Edited by bluap

I compiled the latest git today and have run into a few problems. But 1st I'd like to say that it a definite improvement with the added features!

My main issue is with graphics performance. With 1.9.3 I could run with all settings maxed and never see my FPS drop below 100 or so. Eye candy, etc never was an issue. With todays git client, I see a tremendous overhead from spell cast eye candy which drops my FPS to below 20 until the animation is over. It appears as if the eye candy has changed a bit (bag pickups seem to have a bit more "dust" and the MD spell seems to "evaporate" above my head a little nicer) and this is where I'm seeing the slowdown. Now maybe since my hardware is not the latest, I can;t be expected to run maxed out as it were, but it's concerning to see the client getting that much slower.

NVIDIA Corporation GF114 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti] (rev a1)

AMD FX™-8150 Eight-Core Processor

Linux ubuntu 3.8.0-34-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 12 18:00:10 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

http://www.schroding...host.com/el.ini

http://www.schroding...m/make.defaults

I'll try to compile without the added options and retest when I have a chance.

Edit: added config files

Edited by Cabman

it can't be reproduced, some day i have a client shutdown twice in short time, then for weeks nothing.

it only happens when using a spell (restore is used most so it looks like its a restore spell bug),

but i had it also while using tele to range spell and often when i look with right click into sto window.

the client is just closing without any error message.

i have it happening since hmm begin of this year, others i heared have it longer.

nothing in the client settings can stop it from happening.

so far i know, that only win xp users have it.

sir_odie was working on it and so far found no specific cause. only thing what stopped the bug was using the debugger...irrc.

i think it might be a windows xp specific problem of loading libs or a timing problem.

i guess it is the timing problem, cause as sir_odie told me, the debuger slows things down and the bug was not happening to him.

i use winwods xp, SP3 with an ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics. drivers up to date.

hope this information can bring it a bit foreward.

edit : ups ;)

it was reported from me here : http://www.eternal-l...showtopic=58129

I worked with Sir Odie and had similar type results with crashing and finally had to go back to previous version.

I use storage listing a lot and that frequently caused crashes and had other ones but those are the same with current XP version - Notepad and occasionally map changes or spells but later ones occur less often but can occur in bunches. Happened again on ace's latest invasion but fortunately did not occur when going onto invasion maps just getting off and when restarted I was on invasion free map.

Windows XP with SP3 and GeForce 9500 GT w/all drivers up to date and duo video card.

saxum, did you try my windows build here? If this is only a windows XP issue, you may have to do something more drastic anyway. Of course, I would recommend a proper upgrade to Linux.

Edited by bluap

While I'd rather not leave someone in the dark on a new release, it is questionable as to whether issues with an OS that should have gone dead two years ago, only still alive through a time extension, should halt progress in the game. How much time to spend fixing something for an OS that is officially dead in 3 months, and anyone on it should be using this time to switch.

This is just a "grace period" for XP to give time to get upgraded, not to just keep on using. There's already been two years of time added to allow people to get off of XP and onto a more modern OS.

(Just like with OpenSUSE, I won't provide RPMs for any prior release that is no longer supported. )

This would of course not be an issue if any other OSes were showing the same issue. It could just very well be lack of support for XP itself that's making this update impossible.

Another thought, continued use of 1.9.3: It doesn't seem any .elm files or graphics are changing with this update (Ace/Roja/Radu may need to chime in on this). If that's the case, couldn't 1.9.3 continue to be used even after 1.9.4 is released? I know the server has forced upgrades with previous releases, but with reason. I'm not seeing a reason thus far that the XP users couldn't continue using 1.9.3 until they get their OS updated. Old OS = old EL version, rather than spending too much time fixing something solely for an OS that is about to EOL?

Edited by Burn

Just as an observation about XP...for many people, it is the version of choice if forced to use Windows. ;) I have to use it for work-related things and I flat out refuse to budge to Vista, 7, or 8. So you might want to consider that possibility as well. It's not that uncommon for people to still be on XP.

About XP, I appear to have been mis-undersood again:( All I meant was that with microsoft stopping support for XP, people might have no choice but to move away from it as they will get no security updates and such. I was not suggesting we drop support an XP EL client at the same time. Although, eventually, like windows 98, the need will just fade.

Not against continuing support, was just questioning if it was absolutely necessary at this point since it is gasping its final breaths. I'm not doing the actual code so that's mostly up to bluap anyway. ;-)

And just last night it was noted by someone, who told me and I confirmed, that a minor change was made to AA Wyrmgoth Underground (was "hidden" so won't say what, unless you knew of it you won't see the change) obviously done on the server side but is a change that should be done to the local .elm file as well. That leads to thoughts that there will be .elm updates, even if just minor, leading to undoing my thought that 1.9.3 could possibly continue to be used. (1.9.3 binaries with updated data files maybe.) But probably a moot point anyway.

i am using bluabs version since december 28 now,

so far all is ok, no more glient crashes, ty :)

i am using bluabs version since december 28th now,

so far all is running fine and no more client crashes.

i hope it stays that way ... ty :)

All I meant was that we must fix this issue then do a release, not force the release with a known issue. Is the crash only with Sir Odie's build of the new client as he suspects it may be a build issue (compiler bug of such like). Is anyone else sucessfully using another build of the latest git source on XP? I have a windows build here that uses a different version of the compiler and may be worth checking. I cannot test this as I do not have a version of XP other than my virtual machine build environment.

been using this one for about 3 weeks now, no crashes like before, changed vote to yes, TYVM blaup

Compiled last night on Arch Linux x86_64 without a hitch and running fine so far. Question: is the x86_64 binary supposed to show up as el.x86.linux.bin instead of el.x86_84.linux.bin?

Yes. Can be changed in the Makefile.Linux file line 93 (or find-in-file el.x86.linux.bin)

But it's built on your architecture, so you can just rename it with _64 if needed.

Edited by Burn

Yes. Can be changed in the Makefile.Linux file line 93 (or find-in-file el.x86.linux.bin)

But it's built on your architecture, so you can just rename it with _64 if needed.

Got it. I have some x86_64 binaries floating around from various clients in the past so assumed it was supposed to spit out that way. I guess I renamed them or used somebody else's and just don't remember. Thanks for info.

Just an fyi.... SirOdie's el.exe crashes on my machine, as soon as I login. I replaced it with BluAp's el.exe, and it runs fine.

Running Windows 7, Radeon HD 5800 Series (with latest drivers)

There's another thread for it, but the client is being tested still. And I'm working on some map bug fixes. Radu said maybe end of February for the update, but that's if everything is worked out by then

just to update, bluap client still working no crashes, only thing i get is a sto messup when i trade at mm sto, this happens with itemUid 1, i set it to 0 and mm sto is fine again.

(sto slots alternate picture of item and next slot be black with white text of amount then pic of item in next slot then weird amount in one after, keeps alternating)

Edited by Zephlix