Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Mind

I'm writing a book about EL

So, I've seen that EL needs/wants some advertising. What if it was free and written by me?

EL may not be as popular as it was when I played, and it may not interest me as much as it once did, but it is the most fun I have ever had while playing a video game, and I plan on telling anyone who wants to listen. So I'm going to finish my book about EL.

The reason behind all of this isn't just because I want to show off RICH. I want to explain how video games can be used to teach and to inspire. My own experience with EL just happens to be a wonderful demonstration on how it is possible. I can describe what happened (hopefully in an interesting way), and what I learned through the process. Then, I can prove how everything that I saw and did in EL translated directly into the real world.

I did find some interesting things about economics, and I hope that what I discovered is clearly explained through the use of a story, but that is only a smaller part of a larger goal. The real purpose is to defend video games (especially MMOs) as places where people are free to explore and make mistakes without any real world consequences. Places where people can get relevant real world experience that would never be available in any other way. And of course, also show how powerfully this experience can reinforce other methods of teaching.

The story is mostly finished, but there are a few things I would like to use for enhancing the picture - perhaps a few screen shots, maybe a map, and probably some forum posts - and I would like Entropy's blessing. I can make a compelling case without any of these extras, and I probably don't need permission for all of it, but I want to be fair and open. If this book is well done, then it will definitely attract new people to the game.

The overall message is very positive. I've benefited enormously from the game, and I think this might give something back.

By the way, who would actually be interested in reading it when it's done?

By the way, who would actually be interested in reading it when it's done?

I'm be interested in seeing it (no promise I'll get all the way through it).

Sure, great idea, go ahead. let me know if I can help you with anything.

Anway, what kind of book will it be? Ebook only, or printed too? Did you find a publisher?

Sure, great idea, go ahead. let me know if I can help you with anything.

Anway, what kind of book will it be? Ebook only, or printed too? Did you find a publisher?

Awesome!

The only thing I am missing right now that might be useful to add would be a sort of "birth of EL" back story on how the game started, and a map of Serdia and Irillion that has each individual region labeled. Otherwise, I am pretty sure I can grab the forum posts I need. I have not decided how many screenshots I will use.

Personally, I never buy ebooks, so I plan on making a printed version available. I have not yet looked for a publisher, and I can easily self publish if everyone says no. I probably won't make any money from it, but I don't really care about that.

Good luck indeed, looking forward to the result, hope you will consider a digital version too.