Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chester74

Eternal Lands starts up with White background

Hey ,

Ive had this problem at a few laptops so far..

Whenever you start up EL the login background is white and you can get to the login screen but then when you log in your client crashes.

My main pc runs EL fine and this laptop seems to run every game exept EL, and multiple laptops had this problem.

Drivers are up to date etc.

Help me out i want this laptop to run EL too for mixing.

Chester ;)

Before we can help you we need (a lot) more info

What is your operating system? (Windows XP?)

What is your video card and version of your video driver

Don't log in but open the options from the login screen and turn on poor man (troubleshoot tab), then try to log in. If this works there is something wrong with your video settings/driver.

I have always played EL on laptops, sometimes with crappy video drivers and never had this problem.

Yes the laptops operating system is Windows XP

Ive changed toggled poor man and that dint seem to help on any laptop.

And there is only one video driver.

The laptop is an old Compaq Presario 900. [ I know its old but its just my music laptop ]

Thank you,

Chester

The graphics core integrated into the IGP 320M chipset was developed from the ATI RADEON VE graphics chip. This solution was originally intended for "office" use, so the IGP 320M is also an "office" rather than "gaming" chipset.

That's from a Presario 900 review from 2003, which also went on to say you're not going to be doing much of anything 3D-wise on it. It can only handle very fundamentally basic 3D according to the review. EL is still a 1.x OpenGL game, but it's above that.

While some older model laptops may be able to handle it, as the review states in the quote your model is specifically designed for office work, not gaming. The graphics were even called "outdated" for 2003 standards. If a game runs on it, it is apparently more a bonus than a feature.

There's a very good chance you just won't be able to run EL on it. (And note it's pretty much guaranteed you won't be able to run the coming OpenGL2 version of EL, so not really an idea to get comfortable playing on that anyway.) I have an old but several years more modern laptop than yours and EL does essentially the same thing on it. And it definitely has crappy-but-much-better-than-Presario graphics.

There's a very good chance you just won't be able to run EL on it. (And note it's pretty much guaranteed you won't be able to run the coming OpenGL2 version of EL, so not really an idea to get comfortable playing on that anyway.) I have an old but several years more modern laptop than yours and EL does essentially the same thing on it. And it definitely has crappy-but-much-better-than-Presario graphics.

Any chance of making a test client for OpenGL2 using all features before EL comes out?

Would hate to get new client released and no way to log into EL.

Not really working well enough atm to be tested. From what I understand some of the maps still don't work (possible crash) among other things.

(But self-compiling one can still be done using Xaphier's GIT repository.)

The only ones that should have an issue using it are those on very old laptops that are only barely able to run the current client. And possibly very old comps (as in no AGP slot much less PCI-e). But that your graphics hardware supports OpenGL 2 or higher is the important thing.

The graphics core integrated into the IGP 320M chipset was developed from the ATI RADEON VE graphics chip. This solution was originally intended for "office" use, so the IGP 320M is also an "office" rather than "gaming" chipset.

That's from a Presario 900 review from 2003, which also went on to say you're not going to be doing much of anything 3D-wise on it. It can only handle very fundamentally basic 3D according to the review. EL is still a 1.x OpenGL game, but it's above that.

I used to play to EL with this graphics chipset some time ago and it was working pretty well so it doesn't come from that.

If all is white, I'd bet it's because the client doesn't find the data folder.

You should check the error logs to see what's going on.

Unfortunately, I'm not a windows user so I don't know exactly where the files are located but it's probably in your documents & settings. There should be an Eternal Lands folder with a log folder in it. Someone who plays on windows could guide you better than me...

Thank you all for your answers,

The old laptop does run games such as Minecraft, World of Warcraft and a couple of others. I know that its an old thing so i will just keep using it for music then. But we have another laptop that is much more powerful and that doesnt seem to launch EL either. Same white screen problem, It runs windows 8 but as far as i know the graphic drivers did not support windows 8 for that laptop.

Thank you all for your time,

Chester