Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SolarStar

New AI for invasion monsters

An idea came to me .. we have a limited field of view of the map. How would it look like if the invasion monster came walking from somewhere.

800px-Cursed_Crew_Underwater_March.jpgreminds me of a pirate army coming out of the water

At the moment the monsters will just walk randomly in all directions when they are droped in a map.

How about making them walk up a map in one cardinal point. It would be possible to send rows of armys into the land, likes waves ..

Don't underestimate the psychological effect

Maybe it should also be possible to let them stand still and keep the formation for a while. Or what would happen if the monsters also attack other targets close to them when they are already engaged?

Post comments below.

Solar :pirate:

Great idea!

Program them also to prepare ambushes, hit and run strategy or even psychological war (comment on local like: “lol n00b!”).

Some of them should also have low morale and run when they see pr0 killers like myself!

Seriously now Solar, have you slight idea what are you asking for? Do you know how AI is programmed?

New spawns for the invading monsters would be very cool but the biggest problem would be that since They would be able to walk out from there Players would be able to walk in there and be in invasion paradise with things poofing all over them.. AI would be awesome but think that would be a bit too hard to do but perhaps in the future. *random thought* Add the outhouse TP room for GIWS invasions :)

It's an interesting idea but not sure it's worth trying... Right now most (not all) invasions are done in maps with choke points or that are smaller maps in order to control the style of fighting... If the ai was programmed to have all the creatures walk over the choke point rather then random higher lvl invasions would be to hard to control and fewer people would partisapate in them... But the idea to make some of them flee or ambush is really cool for special invasions... But as dev pointed out its a lil harder then just changing a setting

Guys, what I wrote (except PS) was ironic. The idea itself is cool, but rather hard to complete. AI is one of the most difficult things to program AFAIK.

However, Radu has an experimental AI (Leonard) which can be introduced in future for some of ‘special monsters’.

Wow yes... the experimental AI of Leonard is a "base" for future 'special monsters'. Giant's are summoning bears. White Tigers are doing cooldowns... and so on...

But hey Devnul, don't disencourage players who have ideas (even if it's a bad idea like you need enjoy to show us). We are not all "enlighted" and have the powerfull skills of your computer science ;) Come down and explain to us, noobs, with simple words why you think the idea is bad. With simple words...

I love people like Solar or others who comes around with an idea... Don't crash them down. Maybe other people wouldn't post new ideas because of the fear of the "terrible Devnul"...

... of the fear of the "terrible Devnul"...

Ok, ok … you are right, I am total asshole from time to time.

However Solar deserves it after his ridiculous post in disputes section. Anyway, no more off topic.

Improving AI shouldn’t be priority for game developers since it is doing quite well IMHO. Sometimes I was pretty sure, that Radu have taken control of this damn Red Dragon! Especially when it was chasing me around for more than 10min avoiding pin spot.

I like solar's idea a lot. After all much of the fun of EL derives from team work and why not having the mob do some team work, which in turn might require us to do more complex team work.

Here are some simple ideas:

In instances/invances:

1) The server could decide from time to time to have a certain portion of the mob walk towards a specific point. The gate in instances would be an obvious target. This could mean that in instances it might be beneficial to have a strong group near the gate, while having scouts to report if bad mob makes their way towards the gate.

2) Boss-mob (or all mob) could call nearby mob for help. This could happen for instance when they get attacked or just on a random basis. This way, one might want to approach certain mob more carefully, or in teams.

In normal game:

1) I always wondered why all those feros were standing around while I was busy killing one of their friends. So if a character is engaged in a fight, monsters could have a higher ignore threshold and thus attack characters who are above the ignore level by a certain amount. This of course would open new training strategies, especially for tanks. So I am not so sure whether this is a good idea, but imho it would make the mob behave more "natural".

Obviously I do not know the code, so I have no idea whether something like this is feasible to implement, but I think it is worthwhile trying to make the mob more clever.

How about in an invance a percantage of surviving mobs converge on the gate like every 10 mins,

The only weird thing I notice about monster AI is I am standing at point (a) between two close points (x) and (y) and when a monster is walking between points (x) and (y), he can't even see me.

Edited by hussam

Ambush = A monster or two sit at one location and when they sense someone coming, they call others to them. The others may circle around as to not be seen until it is too late to escape. Alternatively, a monster may run to try to lure people into the ambush.

At any rate, monsters running when there are not enough other monsters nearby to help them or running to help other monsters when they see them attack would allow for all sorts of strategy.

For a scouting party, they could try to stay X steps away from eachother while they wander and that would allow them a better chance to search. They would also try to not go backwards. Once they decide which general direction they are going, they only have 3 directions they may go (forward, forward+left, forward+right from their chosen direction).

Some monsters may follow other monsters. Imagine little blue dragons following a big blue dragon. Dragon pups following their momma, anyone? Maybe the armed male goblin has a female goblin stalking him? Maybe a fox or wolf is some ogre's pet?